How to measure lift. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I purchased my 80 series it already had a lift on it. OME competition coils. How would i go about determining the amount of lift? I'm sure I can measure from point A to point B and subtract the factory measurements but I don't have the factory measurements and where should I measured?

The answer to your question, along with a wealth of other info you will eventually need, is in the FSM.

Thanks for the worthless comment
That's actually not a worthless comment. The factory service manual for your truck has a wealth of information contained within. It will save you time, money, and bandwidth.

To address your question more directly, the method most use is to measure between the center of the hub and the bottom of the fender flare (this takes tire size out of the equation). General consensus is that around 20" is "stock," but even that is a bit of a can of worms. This info is all over the forum, so you can search for details and nuance. Even with these measurements, it still probably wont do much to help you determine which springs you have as truck/accessory weight, loads, age, all affect lift height. No two trucks are the same. OME springs come with a tag/label--if it's still there, that should give you the spring code. Mine was still barely legible after unknown but many years/miles.

And to the comment towards baldilocks, he is being helpful. Getting yourself a copy of the FSM will answer even more questions than this forum will, and is the proper first step for any new-to-you vehicle that you intend to tinker with.

Last edited:
That's actually not a worthless comment. The factory service manual for your truck has a wealth of information contained within. It will save you time, money, and bandwidth.
I'm aware, but i don't believe that i posted a question asking whether or not i need a fsm. I realize it has good info. Not debating that nor was it my question. I just figured one of you self proclaimed land cruiser expert mechanics would have this knwleknowand love to share it. Unfortunately some members provide feedback like you two.

To answer your question directly, the method most use is to measure between the center of the hub and the bottom of the fender flare (this takes tire size out of the equation). This info is all over the forum, so you can search for details and nuance. Even with these measurements, it still probably wont do much to help you determine which springs you have as truck/accessory weight, loads, age, all affect lift height. No two trucks are the same. OME springs come with a tag/label--if it's still there, that should give you the spring code. Mine was still barely legible after unknown but many years/miles.

And to the comment towards baldilocks, he is being helpful. Getting yourself a copy of the FSM will answer even more questions than this forum will, and is the proper first step for any new-to-you vehicle that you intend to tinker with.
Never asked how to determine which springs I have. They are OME comp springs . The tag is legible, however they make 3 different lift heighths with that tag. It's fine I will search for the measurements as apparently my simple question seems to have violated some 80 series unwritten rules on what is an appropriate post.

Don't get your panties in a twist (LX, BTW?) over a response to a thread on an internet forum, sheesh.

I'm aware, but i don't believe that i posted a question asking whether or not i need a fsm. I realize it has good info. Not debating that nor was it my question. I just figured one of you self proclaimed land cruiser expert mechanics would have this knwleknowand love to share it. Unfortunately some members provide feedback like you two.
Well, then you'll have to spend some time searching this forum, as I'm certain this has been covered before in detail. Good luck.

:flush:

measure spring.JPG

Check w/ @Tools R Us as he has a lot of the dimensions being asked for, specifically from the top of the axle to the bottom of the bump stop or from center of hub to bottom of fender flare.

He'll show up soon.

Take your measurements at these locations and he'll let you know.

With the attitude you are showing, I doubt many folks are going to want to do the research for you. Having an account on mud does not entitle you to make demands for information. This is a community, try not to be a d**k.

Rough morning in Odessa it seems. Had your coffee yet? Or maybe a Snickers bar?

With the attitude you are showing, I doubt many folks are going to want to do the research for you. Having an account on mud does not entitle you to make demands for information. This is a community, try not to be a d**k.
You are correct, this is a community and while browsing mud looking for posts that I could contribute to I apparently made the mistake of asking how to determine lift height and have only received feedback on the FSM . No being a dick just asked a simple question and would prefer responses that pertain to the question posted. No attitude either just trying to keep the post relavant. Didn't realize it would warrant criticism about purchasing a fsm. Having an account on mud doesn't entitle anyone to be a dick but apparently it entitles a lot of members to be smartasses. To be honest the 80 series threads seem to have a lot of people that only want to respond with "look in the fsm, or search for it". I understand some things are simple to search, others are not as easy to find. I have searched without luck so i thought I would ask. To be honest I'm not sure how the original response was contributing to my post or the forum. To me it just seems like people love being smartasses but don't like it when it's returned.

You are to kind Harley.
So not true. Sometimes it's easier to smack someone across the face with a fish than to teach them to fish.

You are correct, this is a community and while browsing mud looking for posts that I could contribute to I apparently made the mistake of asking how to determine lift height and have only received feedback on the FSM . No being a dick just asked a simple question and would prefer responses that pertain to the question posted. No attitude either just trying to keep the post relavant. Didn't realize it would warrant criticism about purchasing a fsm. Having an account on mud doesn't entitle anyone to be a dick but apparently it entitles a lot of members to be smartasses. To be honest the 80 series threads seem to have a lot of people that only want to respond with "look in the fsm, or search for it". I understand some things are simple to search, others are not as easy to find. I have searched without luck so i thought I would ask. To be honest I'm not sure how the original response was contributing to my post or the forum. To me it just seems like people love being smartasses but don't like it when it's returned.

The original response told you where you could find your answer. The FAQ in this forum also tells you where you can find the fsm for free. I have also searched for this same information in the past and found lots of posts about it on here, as well as through google all over the internet in very little time. In fact, searching this forum for "measuring lift height" brings a very informative thread that goes into great detail as the very first result.

Your attitude to such responses screams "i can't be bothered to look so do my work for me".

To address your question more directly, the method most use is to measure between the center of the hub and the bottom of the fender flare (this takes tire size out of the equation). General consensus is that around 20" is "stock," but even that is a bit of a can of worms. ...

This, about, depending on model, stock was slightly more or less.

When I purchased my 80 series it already had a lift on it. OME competition coils. How would i go about determining the amount of lift? I'm sure I can measure from point A to point B and subtract the factory measurements but I don't have the factory measurements and where should I measured?

OK, dick hat on.

Where does it say 'Guys I searched but didn't find it' in the OP? (ref post#14) Got to qualify your position, then attitude can be worn on sleeve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom