How To: Fuel Filter 100 Series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There are a few threads on replacing the fuel filter, but no pics. I don't wrench much, but always exciting and always willing to help the community, especially those just like me that are new to wrenching and that are visual learners. Here's my take on the fuel filter.

Tools needed:

14mm open-end wrench or line wrench. Mr. T has provided one for your use in tool kit.

IMG_9098.JPG

10mm sockets.

IMG_9093.JPG

Some shop rags.

PB Blaster or WD-40.

Last edited:
You will need a fuel filter.

IMG_9092.JPG

Here is the lay of the land. Fuel filter is on the driver's side attached by two 10 mm bolts on the wheel well.

IMG_9129.JPG

Begin by loosening 14 mm nut on the right hand side of the filter by using your box or line wrench.

IMG_9102.JPG

IMG_9099.JPG

I added a few sprays of WD-40 to loosen the connection. It was on there really tight. Be very careful with that line.

IMG_9112.JPG

Place a rag underneath to catch any fuel that may drip.

Last edited:
Now use your ratchet and 10mm sockets to remove the bolts on the wheel well.

IMG_9113.JPG

After you have removed both bolts you may now remove the plastic L-shaped green clip attached on the other side of filter.

IMG_9117.JPG

By squeezing the green clip at the bottom and pulling straight up it will release. Be careful it's a plastic part.

IMG_9118.JPG

The green clip is still attached to the old fuel filter. You need to find a way of removing the green piece over the lip on the fuel filter.

I had some small flat screwdrivers and did this. Again. With patience and be careful.

IMG_9120.JPG

Last edited:
Here's a closer look.

IMG_9121.JPG

Here's the green clip on the new fuel filter.

IMG_9122.JPG

Now you need to remove the white plastic clip on the old filter pictured on the right above and put on the new filter.
IMG_9123.JPG

Now it's time to put everything back.

I bolted up the filter onto the wheel well very loosely. I made sure the line on the 14mm side went into the filter.

IMG_9126.JPG

I then secured the 10mm bolts tightly onto the wheel well. I then proceeded to tighten the 14mm connection tightly on the right hand side of the filter. Connected the L-shaped connection with the green clip onto the filter on the left hand side. Finally I attached the fuel line to the white clip.

IMG_9128.JPG

Turned on the truck. Made sure it wasn't leaking.

Done.

This job can be done in about 30 minutes. If you don't wrench much take your time and be patient. Careful not to damage the plastic clips attached to the fuel filter or the fuel line attached to the 14mm nut on the right side of the filter. I hope this helps you out.

Last edited:
That 14mm you show is just an open-end wrench, not a line wrench. No harm, no foul. I only had a 12mm line wrench when I did mine, and used (gasp) a big crescent that had a firm grip on the nut....The line wrench contacts more of the nut, to reduce the possibility of rounding it off.....

Thanks for the pics. I have a new fuel filter sitting on my passenger seat for several months. I though I read somewhere it requires a washer that my new filter didn't come with. I have been too lazy to order the washer. I didn't see a mention of a washer in your write up.

Is the fuel line under pressure when you first turn off the engine?

No washers needed. If you break the plastic L-shaped connection (with green clip) you will need to buy a new fuel line that includes the plastic L-shaped clip. At the end of that line the connection requires washers. You can't reuse the existing washers.

No pressure on the line. Once you loosen the 14mm nut enough you'll get some fuel spilling. You will also get fuel spilling when you disconnect on the other end of the filter. Be prepared to catch the fuel with a towel.

It may help to take the gas cap off to help release some pressure before you disconnect the fuel line.

Then once you have the new filter bolted in, turn the key to On (without cranking) and cycle a few times to turn the fuel pump on and help pressurize the line again. This will get fuel back up through the lines to the injectors.

I also recommend using a 19mm wrench on the filter side of the hard line fitting to hold everything steady. The last thing you want to do is damage the hard line. Also, when installing, start the 14mm fitting by hand so you don't possibly cross-thread.

I didn't even consider using the 19mm. Mainly because I don't have a 19mm open-end wrench. I don't have many tools. I just held on to the filter with my hand. That's the newbie in me with wrenching. Yes. Great idea to use the 19mm to hold the filter and the 14mm to loosen the fuel line connection. It's the proper way.

IMG_9143.JPG

Last edited:
Definitely on my 'to-do' list, thanks for taking the time to write this up and take pictures.

Last edited:
Any advice on getting that first 14mm nut going? I hit it with pb blaster and used as much force as I thought possible while trying (obviously) not to break it or anything else, but it wasn't moving whatsoever. Any thoughts?

PB or acetone & ATF is never a bad idea. Try tightening it ... just barely ... then loosen.

Its probably in someone's thread but the fuel filter part # along with the green plastic retainer part # should be stuck in FAQ.

Leave the filter fully secured to the fender. Use PB Blaster on the 14mm nut, let it sit for a while. Be sure to use a 19mm wrench on the filter side of the line. If the fitting doesn't move, hit it with some heat from a hair dryer or heat gun, just be sure no gas is dripping.

I will NOT use heat near gasoline.

Use a GOOD branded 14 mm and 19 mm. Make sure someone is holding the 19mm and then you with leather gloves on (for safety) try to loosen it. It should come out. You can turn a bit to right (as tightening it) and then try to loose it. Since 14 mm is not long enough for a good leaveage, use a metal tube as a cheater bar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom