How To: Fuel Filter 100 Series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just did this maintenance item...make sure you put the hard line back into the new filter first! If you bolt the filter down first it doesn’t go in perfectly and can leak. I also found it helpful to lightly sand away the flecks of coating on the lip of the flared line...then tighten up the nut really snug. Mine was leaking pretty profusely until I did the above.

I changed mine as well. 220k miles, wasn’t sure if the PO had ever changed it, and it being so inexpensive and placed in an easy location, I bought a new OEM filter and changed it out for peace of mind. Felt no difference in driving.
Old:

Side by side

New one in place:

Just changed mine as well. Glad I did. I think it’s the original and the truck has 295,000 on the clock. Some pretty nasty stuff came out of the old one. I think this may be why I’ve been getting some hard starts here recently.
E0F7FFC5-6D54-4C0A-99A9-77E7CAC6DC26.jpeg
CF92B73B-D17D-4929-AA06-805B6AB1E01D.jpeg

+1 for the fuel filter. It was an incredibly easy job and the Toyota OEM filter was quite inexpensive and accessible. No excuse not to do it, really. Did mine after buying my 100 as preventative maintenance.

I did the fuel filter change yesterday at 129,000 (2006 LC). The Wit's End kit (100 Series 2UZ Fuel Filter) includes the green clip which was nice in case the old one broke (it did not). I agree the project is "inexpensive and accessible. No excuse not to do it." I cut open the old filter to inspect. There was some dirt near the inlet side and dirt coming off onto a paper towel at nearly all the layers. Like some others have said, I also feel it is running more smoothly which could be an illusion, but I'll take it. o_O :cheers:

Today I read this thread, went to Autozone and purchased the tools I didn't have but needed to do this job, and changed the fuel filter. All of that took me an hour. Thank you ih8mud community for all of your help.

What is the maintenance schedule for replacing the fuel filter?

Thanks for this write up! Just did mine. Was having hesitation after starting it after it's been sitting and intermittent hesitation while driving, figured it was a fuel issue. Felt good when I fired it up, hope that did the trick!

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I found the green retainer clip part number in case anyone needs it. I looks like it's also sold as a transmission cooler line retainer (Volvo Part #9485149).

The cheapest place I found it was at NAPA.
Thanks! I found it on amazon as well.
Amazon product ASIN B01CGNROPM

Did this job today. Got Wit's End kit and let the PB Blaster soak for about an hour. Tapered 14mm fitting came loose with no issues. I didn't break the filter open but this is what spilled out the "IN" port. Disgusting! Filter was doing it's job I suppose but I feel much better to replace it after 248k miles.

IMG_20200101_162006.jpg

Looks like I got something else to add to my baseline list for my new-to-me 100! Will definitely be purchasing the Wits' End version just for extra security of the green clip hassle.

Thanks for the write up and pictures @OG 91 LC ! I do not know why speaking with a service tech at a local Toyota shop that they call this a "lifetime filter". If it was lifetime why is it so easily accessible?

I first changed my original at 150k and now again at 232k. I should actually shorten that to half. It's just too easy not to do it. You would not believe the amount of crap that gets into a gas tank over the years as I have drained and flushed a few of them out. Tanks also can rust from the inside and a tiny piece of rust can play havoc with everything fuel related.

Thank's for the How to write. I am going to add this in when I take care of my spark plugs & Heater T's here shortly.

Is there also something on the tank side we should be thinking about?

Just FYI to keep part numbers up, below is Toyota OEM filter, green clip, and the hose clip incase you F that up as well

Filter -
23300-50090

Green clip
90923-07002

Clamp
90469-12012

Just replaced mine today with the Wit's end kit. Went pretty smooth.

However, when I first started the car it was leaking a lot of gas out of the hard line inlet.

I backed it out and retorqued it, really cranked down on it. And now it seems ok.

Anyone have this happen or know why it would have leaked so much? Not like it was finger tight.

Obviously I'm now paranoid my Cruiser is going to explode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom