How to evaluate condition of R&P? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After my rear diff warms up, when I coast on the highway, it gets quite loud. I have ordered a rebuild kit (including pinion & carrier bearings). After taking it apart, how can I evaluate the condition of the R&P? I'd hate to do all that work and then put it together and find out that R&P were bogus. Maybe I should just pull 3rd member and send it to someone who knows what they are doing (Zuk)?

Thoughts? Anyone gone down this path before and can provide some input?

You will need to do a gear paint before you take the carrier apart. Send the pics to ZUK, and if the ring and pinion are ok, sent the whole thing to him for a rebuild. If they are not ok, just get a new ring and pinion. $250 and you know it's good.

You will need to do a gear paint before you take the carrier apart. Send the pics to ZUK, and if the ring and pinion are ok, sent the whole thing to him for a rebuild. If they are not ok, just get a new ring and pinion. $250 and you know it's good.
As Cruiser Drew said, do a gear paint, then compare what you have to what a good gear contact pattern looks like in your FSM. Your checking to see if your contact pattern is to far heal, or toe, or to face, or flank. Also look for any obvious signs of ware, or damage to your gear set.

As Cruiser Drew said, do a gear paint, then compare what you have to what a good gear contact pattern looks like in your FSM. Your checking to see if your contact pattern is to far heal, or toe, or to face, or flank. Also look for any obvious signs of ware, or damage to your gear set.
x3
This is how you do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom