How strong is a min-truck front driveshaft? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mark W

Yep, it's true. I just don't care that much.
Threads
Has anyone here ever blown a mini-truck double carden unit or a mini-truck Ujoint from pure overstress, not wear or binding?

Looking at clearancing the DC of an '86 IFS mini for increased defelction, and using it in the rear end of a V8 powered '40 with an Orion and 203 doubler.
Anyone got any first hand, or credible second hand reports of these failing without being just plain old worn out?

Mark...

Should be fine Mark....

Poor maintenance and bindage kill them, and that is about it.

That's been my experience. If they're not worn out they'll take a lot.

I've had no problems with the joints in my V8 mini and I load it pretty darn heavy. Too heavy.

But with a V8 and multiplying the torque x 52 before it gets to the driveshaft, and having 18 inch wide boggers at the other end... They'll be stressed well beyond factory expectations. ;)

I think I'm probably gonna stick with a Cruiser stub for the regular end of the shaft so that I can at least keep that larger ujoint.

The mini-truck double carden and the FJ60 double carden are the same aren't they?

I normally prefer to keep regular ujoints at each end, but with the shorter rear driveshaft and lots of suspension travel, I' gonna need to tip the rear pinion up. :(

It's still gonna be 2.5-3 inches longer than stock, but I'm not liking what the angles look like with the pinion level.

Mark...

grogan has killed a couple..

But in Alaska... you will have to try hard..

My 40 bouncing on 40's and 5.13's has not killed one yet..

A lot of longevity comes from gearing..

Yeah, our usual style of wheeling doesn't subject things to the stress that some of the.. less than gentle... approaches that I've seen some use in the rocks of Rubicon and even Moab.

But the larger tires we tend toward make up for it a bit. You'd be surprised how much traction a 18 inch wide bogger can grab in a clay/gravel mix or on dry surface tundra. Or how much of a shock a stump hidden in a mud bog can impart to the drivetrain when you hit it at full throttle. ;)

Regardless, I don't really expect much likelihood of overpowering the shaft. Just kinda pondering things as I start to put the next evolution of this rig into action.

Next step is to see just how much I can increase the deflection of the DC. If it is not significant, I'm just gonna have to accept the steep angles at both ends. But at least I can run a set of the HD driveshafts that I have on hand (The ones I talked about in the trails an issue or so back). ;)

Mark...

Last edited:
Mine started making bad noises only because it was running at a static angle of 28°...

Ask Jesse from high angle, he'll say they're equivalent to a 1350 joint.. as long as you use factory u-joints, not autozone crap.

i'm running an 85 runner front shaft for my rear shaft and i beat the crap out of it when i first put it on (v8, soa, no traction bar)...never even fazed it.

The mini truck and the TLC 60 series double cardan are not the same .. in the joke at least .. and in specs, claims 25º on 60 series and 35º miniu truck ( I hope the same as are for us Hi Lux )

I use one in my front drive shaft on my 60 series turboed from a Hi Lux with no problems at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom