How similar will a 1st gen Tundra be to a 100 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I should first start out by saying I love my 100. Best vehicle I've ever owned. I've had it for about 70k miles, only left me stranded once and that was because when the PO did the timing belt they did not replace the water pump which I wasn't aware of (until I was very aware of it when it failed). I never thought I'd sell the 100 but I think I've taken it as far as I can in regards to a vehicle to camp out of on extended trips.

My current setup:
49769441528_2998635368_b.jpg

It sees a lot of use traveling and camping. In the past 3 months it's been to Downieville/Tahoe, Steamboat Springs, Southern Utah and Northern Idaho. Several of those trips were ~10 days.

In good weather I have very few complaints about my setup. It's when I get stuck in crappy weather for several days on end that I start getting jealous of people with vans or some kind of roomy camper setup that they can hang out in. On this most recent trip to Northern Idaho it rained on me for 5 days in a row and even got into some snow.
50084151217_b722c7b423_b.jpg

Often times it's just me and our older dog on long trips but frequently my wife will join and so will all of the dogs. We recently just got a new puppy and now have 3 dogs total, although one is very small but the other 2 are a bit cramped even with the rear seat pulled out and a dog bed back there for them.
49826160793_d3ac0eda19_b.jpg

Ideally I will end up with something as capable offroad as the 100 and about the same size for trails. I don't rock crawl with this thing but it does get taken on some very rough and rowdy roads and trails. Ideally whatever I get won't have a much bigger trail footprint than the 100.

I've been reading up on other setups and what I am leaning towards right now is a 1st gen Tundra with either a GFC or Vagabond camper. I think this setup would alleviate most of my complaints about camping out of the 100. It would give a more usable shelter in crappy weather, it would be a much bigger space for the actual camping area and would allow the dogs to spread out and have more space as well. Weather depending and with a fan I think it may be ok to have the dogs ride in the camper as well, I hear mixed things on this but have a friend who does it and says the dogs are fine as long as it's not too hot. It seems like the 1st gen tundra would not be that much bigger than the 100, longer maybe but I'm thinking about the same width? Reliability is a huge concern and from what I know the 100 and the 1st gen tundra are pretty even there?

Anything else I'm missing or should be considering? I have no interest in any kind of trailer, my hitch almost always has either bikes or a moto on it.

I would think that the biggest thing that you are going to run into with a "camper" attachment to a truck is size to be able to get to your locations.
I know you said that you crawl with your rig, but assume that there is some "rowdy" offroad trails you are taking to get to your locations. This could potentially cause an issue for multiple reason. Main thing in my mind would be the over additional SIZE of the vehicle going down the trail. Add to that the change in vehicle balance while driving and depending on how rowdy you get, you could be throwing things out the window (literally).

Why not look at a small offroad trailer to tow behind the vehicle. Something like the size of a NoBo 16 (I know people say they aren't actually offroad geared, just look the part) or something like that. This would give you the ability to have the extra space you need/want but also the added capability that if you do want to do some exploring you have a "base camp" location somewhere now.

You might have missed what I said I am thinking for a camper. I'm considering either a GFC or Vagabond camper. Both of those are essentially just a shell with a tent built in. They don't weigh much, maybe 250 - 300 lbs and will not increase the size of the Tundra much at all.

I mentioned above why I'm not interested in any kind of a trailer. I don't think that will work for me given the toys I usually have. There's also no way I'd be able to or even willing to attempt to drag something like that into some of the places that I camp.

You might have missed what I said I am thinking for a camper. I'm considering either a GFC or Vagabond camper. Both of those are essentially just a shell with a tent built in. They don't weigh much, maybe 250 - 300 lbs and will not increase the size of the Tundra much at all.

I mentioned above why I'm not interested in any kind of a trailer. I don't think that will work for me given the toys I usually have. There's also no way I'd be able to or even willing to attempt to drag something like that into some of the places that I camp.
Yeah no I saw that, I was just thinking incorrectly of the hard sided one's vs. something like the standard shell height with a pop-up in the top.
The reason I was saying something like the NoBo 10 Series (sorry said 16 and meant 10) is because it is essentially a mini-toy hauler. But Im picking up what your putting down.

In terms of capabilities the Tundra will be very similar especially with a little weight over the rear end. In terms of build quality they're light years away, and youll lose a lot of interior space your pups will still only have a back seat.. Having a 3 speed transfer case would be nice but you'll lose the ability to 4wd without a cdl engaged (I find this to be incredibly useful). Those things considered my biggest problem with either is the gutless 4.7 at altitude.. Me personally would go for a 4.6 or 5.7 and not look back.

your pups will still only have a back seat.

I agree with that for when we are driving however I think depending on how the bed gets built out that they would have significantly more space for sleeping at night. I'd most likely build some sort of drawer system and they could have a couple of dog beds on top of that. I've also talked to some people who have the dogs riding in the bed/camper while driving, need to explore that more but that would give them more space as well.

From what I can tell upgrading to a 5.7 also means upgrading to a much bigger vehicle. I do like the looks of the 2nd gen but they look huge compared to my 100 or a 1st gen Tundra. Size is definitely a concern. I ran some trails outside of Downieville, CA earlier this spring that led to an absolutely amazing camp spot right up by the Sierra Buttes. The 100 was as big of a vehicle as I'd feel comfortable on something like that. I'd really hate to turn away from getting to cool spots because I was worried about vehicle size.

Also the 4.7 may not be winning me any races but it's proven and has treated me great. I'm not towing and I would not be carrying anymore weight in the tundra than what I have in the 100 so I think it will be pretty comparable.

Tacomas are somewhat appealing as well but the interior feels cheap and plastic'y and I think to get it to where I'd want I'd be pushing weight limits and having to deal with re-gearing and whatnot.

Last edited:
From what I can tell upgrading to a 5.7 also means upgrading to a much bigger vehicle. I do like the looks of the 2nd gen but they look huge compared to my 100 or a 1st gen Tundra. Size is definitely a concern. I ran some trails outside of Downieville, CA earlier this spring that led to an absolutely amazing camp spot right up by the Sierra Buttes. The 100 was as big of a vehicle as I'd feel comfortable on something like that. I'd really hate to turn away from getting to cool spots because I was worried about vehicle size.

Also the 4.7 may not be winning me any races but it's proven and has treated me great. I'm not towing and I would not be carrying anymore weight in the tundra than what I have in the 100 so I think it will be pretty comparable.

Tacomas are somewhat appealing as well but the interior feels cheap and plastic'y and I think to get it to where I'd want I'd be pushing weight limits and having to deal with re-gearing and whatnot.

You could be considerably lighter in stock form from the 100 depending on trim level of the tundra. The biggest capability difference would probably be departure angle going to a pickup. Wheelbase has both pros and cons and going to a coilover front suspension has a lot more potential over the torsion bars. Leafsprings don't offer the ride quality of the coil the 100 has. Tacomas aren't a bad choice though power is an issue with weight, but I don't see much difference in interior with the two aside from the limited Tundra. You could also get factory locker in the taco which is appealing to most.

I should first start out by saying I love my 100. Best vehicle I've ever owned.

This is your statement that will confirm your regrets in a year.

This is your statement that will confirm your regrets in a year.

Entirely possible :)

But I can't justify both and my mind is made up that I've taken the 100 as far as I can and it's not fully working for us.

If money was no option I'd maybe be looking at at 70 series troopy pop top or a sportsmobile but I can't think of a better setup for $25 - 30k for long term camping, traveling and offroading.

Often times it's just me and our older dog on long trips...
This was one of the reasons I got my LX, our oldest is nicknamed "Piggy" and so I call the truck the Pig Rig. We go on quite a few daddy/dog-daughter trips together to get her some personal time away from the pups. She really enjoys it and so do I.

Take a look at the FWC Project M topper on a Tundra. Lightweight, no floor and so easier to clean out and taller standing room. Retains a lift gate and tail gate for the dogs (vs the typical FWC door).

This was one of the reasons I got my LX, our oldest is nicknamed "Piggy" and so I call the truck the Pig Rig. We go on quite a few daddy/dog-daughter trips together to get her some personal time away from the pups. She really enjoys it and so do I.

That's awesome! Most of the time it's just me and "miss grey beard", the one in the picture to the left. We just had an awesome 9 day trip riding dirt bikes through Idaho and fishing. Tons of room for her when she's solo but throw 2 more dogs into that dog bed and they get a little cramped. We've even gone as far as letting our little dog (not pictured) sleep up in the RTT at night with us to give the 2 bigger dogs room "downstairs".

What about buying a very off-road capable trailer and leaving it at home for the rough stuff? I haven't heard great things about nobo for offroad toughness, but there are plenty of trailers that are small and very durable.

You don't always need the trailer. When you do, you bring it. If your drive is expected to take you into the tough stuff, go "lite" and leave the trailer at home. Many offroad trailers will give you more "toy hauling" options than you have right now. I'm not sure you can get the best of all words.

The 1st gen Tundra is pretty rough compared to the 100. In just about every way. Durable and reliable, but rough. If you want rough and capable, that might be fine. If you're driving 8 hours+ to get to your adventures, the comfort of the 100 might be a significant benefit. It certainly is for my family and our trips.

I'm not an expert on 1st gen Tundras but they seem alright. I have a friend who has a supercharged long travel Tundra and he loves it - though he claims the front diff shares parts with the 4Runner and wonders if it's not as beefy as a 100. It's longer and also wider than my 100 (even before the fiberglass fenders.) Also, the 1st gen Tundra enthusiast world and accompanying aftermarket parts world seems even smaller than the 100 series aftermarket scene, which can be annoying.

One option is to make your 100 a poptop camper:

Another option is to add awnings with walls to make a large shelter for camping out in bad weather:
alu-cab_shadow_awning__sides_set_up__02.jpg

But at the end of the day you'd still have an old truck with the 4.7. If you don't mind the width and length of a 1st gen Tundra, the 2nd gen really isn't that much bigger. And there's lots of videos of guys on 35s and 37s making it up all sorts of trails in Tundras - plus the 5.7 is apparently the best thing in the world according to everyone who drives them.

My vote would be to do all of the above, get a 2nd gen Tundra (not sure on double cab vs crew max, you'd have to decide which is better for dogs - more bed space or more cab space), a GFC camper, and awnings that create a shelter.

taco-runner-2-1024x683.jpg

Also if you don't want to wait the 6+ months lead time for a GFC, you can build one yourself to your spec, not too hard if you can weld and sew a little:

I can't weld or sew and I've honestly got better things to do with my time like ride my moutain bike or dirt bike :)

I definitely prefer the looks of the 2nd gen tundras and what I've read matches what you're saying, everyone loves the 5.7. Maybe I will look into those a little more.

Aftermarket support for the 1st gen tundras does seem minimal but there are at least a few options for front and rear bumpers and suspension setup. Nothing like the tacoma choices but at least there are some.

The trailer is really not an option. I don't plan out my camping spots when I go on a trip. It's always just exploring random FS roads and finding something I like. Often times I end up in some pretty interesting situations. Having a trailer would just be a giant PITA at times. Also, those small little offroad capable trailers just don't seem to provide any benefit compared to my current setup with a RTT. It's still just a place to sleep, it doesn't give you space to cook or hang out in if the weather turns to crap and it doesn't help with the dog pack. I also almost always have either a bike rack or a moto rack hanging off the back, without either of those with me I'd have no reason to be traveling on most of my trips.

That is a bad ass rig for sure and he's doing rowdier stuff than I'd be getting into. When you are driving 20+ hours from home you tend to dial it back a smidge. ;)

A 2nd gen with the dual cab would give us a bunch of interior room plus still enough bed for a nice camper buildout.

Something like this maybe
3e327a1406de694892aeaad57964fb535e2b8d81.jpeg

Last edited:
Single cab Tundra 5.7Ls are pretty sweet. You can choose from 4.7L and 4.6L as well. Lots of options

1594761289948.png

A major difference I'd consider here is moving from the 5-link on the 100 rear to a leaf sprung rear... The 5-link does a lot of work in making the 100 decent offroad vs it's short travel IFS and I don't think the same can be said for the leaf rear without some work.

I’d throw a Gladiator into the mix. 35s and a GFC then go. If you’re budget won’t cut it then the OBS fords seem like great “overland” platforms and can be gotten for cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom