How often Do You Use your Hi Lift Jack? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Some of you got it, but the rest...Your comments are all about lifting. You miss the point of using it as a come along. You miss the point of using it to secure one end of the rig while winching the other. You miss the point of having the base and lift mate or straps and using it to lift just the wheel when you're buried in sand or mud and need to put down something (maxtraxx or the always free "rocks") for traction. Yes, they're dangerous. Yes, I've damaged my truck using one. But if I'm going to be alone I wouldn't go without one. With another vehicle, I think a tug would replace the hi-lift in most situations. Getting hung up on a log or rock or at an angle your buddy couldn't help is the only thing I can think of where I'd need one if I had a buddy. Oh, yeah... That could still happen. With 33's or bigger and a heavy lift the stock bottle jack doesn't always reach and can be just as dangerous.

I can think of 4 instances in the last 10 years I would have used it if I had it. I survived without it, but hours would have been reduced to a lot of minutes spent getting unstuck instead of what it was. In my opinion it's worth a little MPG to have it with me when that 5th time comes up.

With the winch, extra chain, towrope, 3 snatchblocks, air lift, hand-winch, ground anchor, snorkel, extra fuel, hi-lift, sand-ladders, shovel, axe, chain-saw, spareparts and tubes I feel very safe on my couch watching a zombie movie.

Last edited:
I think one of the main point here is that it's a lot more useful for someone who's on their own then it would be in a group. I don't have one but I've been considering getting one for quite a while and I've been situations where I could use the five for five times and it would save me a bunch of time too. Yes bottle jacks do work very well and lots of situations and my stock Jack has got me out of a lot of stuff. But there have been times when his doctor that wouldn't fit on the axle because the wheels down in a rut. I can get on the bumper But not having to strap (in the snow or mud) actually for the frame andbeing able to lift the wheel out directly would be way easier.

The real reason I've never gotten one is simply because I don't wanna stored outside the vehicle and even with the extra length of the 46 series there still no good place to keep it permanently or even a good place to really strap it down without having to give up something else that I want to take.but I think I will get one and I will find a place to keep it on the out side of the truck and just throw it on there before I go out on a rip.

Pete

@peteinjp and @MDarius

Glad you guys agree as there seems to be some hate towards them and more than just perceived vertical lift usefulness.
I figured posting the pic was worth a thousand words, but I suppose not with the majority. Maybe it's because of my low post count/'newb' status, idk which ever but I won't head out without the HiLift on me.

@peteinjp and @MDarius

Glad you guys agree as there seems to be some hate towards them and more than just perceived vertical lift usefulness.
I figured posting the pic was worth a thousand words, but I suppose not with the majority. Maybe it's because of my low post count/'newb' status, idk which ever but I won't head out without the HiLift on me.

I don't think that's it. I just think most people haven't needed one or haven't used one enough to recognize the versatility. Some have used them and had bad experiences, like not having the right accessories or getting damage or worse, injuries. All that can make you say they aren't good.

There are a lot of things I'll do before I pull out the hi-lift if I have the option, but sometimes it is the right tool.

@peteinjp and @MDarius

First, I am impressed by your use as a come along with your hi lift. I don't hate, ( save that for politics ) having used one
many times. My early experiences were with older less adept elders. Usually more cursing than recovering/tire fixing.
I did see your long handled shovel so I have a very high opinion of you as being sensible and prepared. Last fall I spent close to
3 hrs last year digging my 60 out with an 8" cathole shovel. 2 winches and too far from any tree in a useful direction.
Forgot my reg shovel.
Seems to me the sentiment is carry it if there is a possibility of needing it. I just don't think it needs to be bolted to the truck
always, weight matters and it keeps the jack in working order when needed.

I use mine on my trailers quite often, to change tires, to work on them, to lift the tongue to hook up, etc...
Heck the last time I used it it was to open my garage door when the spring broke. No bottle jack would do that very easily...
Another use is as a spreader or clamper.

Very versatile tool IMO.

Ha I stand embarrassingly corrected. I know it can be that way on many forums, and occasionally get that inclination here. So Cheers!!

I will say from growing up and getting stuck with my pops in 2wd dodge dakotas often to get to the best bass fishing spots, taught me a fair amount. The worst times was when we didn't have the right gear with us(usually cuz my mom told him to clean out the truck haha) and I had to hump it out a few miles to the road, meet my mother, get the gear from home, and hump it back to the truck.

We weren't lucky enough to have a HiLift though. We used a super cheap come- along that when we were really stuck, it would twist the frame on. Always figured it out. Good times. Haha

Ok, I'm throwing my asbestos underwear on.....

lastresort576: Really? and chain for a tree saver? I'm going long here......but that just reinforces the "budweiser image" that the offroad world is tagged with (used to drink the stuff, can't handle it anymore). And from Colorado too!

Roast away, but somebody had to say it.

Ok, I'm throwing my asbestos underwear on.....

lastresort576: Really? and chain for a tree saver? I'm going long here......but that just reinforces the "budweiser image" that the offroad world is tagged with (used to drink the stuff, can't handle it anymore). And from Colorado too!

Roast away, but somebody had to say it.

I originally had the strap around the tree but ended up being short a clevis to rig it correctly. So chain around the tree it went and I spread out the loops a bit so it wouldn't cinch down on one spot(the tree damage was already there btw).

As for the rest of what you're getting at I'm not sure. :meh:

Hi lastresort576,

Thank for the explanation. After I posted, i reflected and suspected something like this. Probably should have pointed that out:doh:

Budweiser image: Well, that is my (granted biased) label for off-roaders who show minimal regard to the environment (think death valley trespassing episode, etc.), often fueled by excessive alcohol. Seen it a 100 times. I might ad that I have behaved inappropriately one or two times in my younger (more ignorant) years.

I hearby apologize for painting you with an unflattering paint brush.:beer:

with a winch, come-along and now, and air-bag style jack (x-jack) It is growing rust in the back yard. Not a lot of places to use the Hilift on my 100 series anyway

Last edited:
The last time I used mine was when my brother broke an axle on his ridiculous jeep. High lift was the only thing that would do the job....

It was 2014 :)

20140412_100602.jpg
20140412_122430.jpg

Your brother doesn't need bigger tires, he needs a bigger truck

one wonders how he could possibly have broken an axle with that setup.... :hmm:
and he was towed with a dragging stuck wheel all the way back? :hmm::hmm:

one wonders how he could possibly have broken an axle with that setup.... :hmm:
and he was towed with a dragging stuck wheel all the way back? :hmm::hmm:

It's been sold now, but it was built for the mud, on the cheap, and basically because he thought it would be funny. He tried to follow us up a rocky trail at an off road park when the axle broke.

I'm not good with my Dana axle tech, but these are the small ones (30's?) so we knew it was coming before it happened. Once the shaft broke it would come out of the housing after about 10ft of driving if we didnt push it back in.

To get back to the highlift, at some point it managed to work all the way out, and that highlift was the only tool around that could get the rig high enough to slip the axel back in. After it popped out we strapped it in and drug it to the trailer. Made for for an interesting afternoon and we still give him hell for it.

Oh, and this definitely reinforces the Budweiser image (was sponsored by Miller Lite though)! But at a privately owned off road park I'm good with it!

This thread got weird.

Half of mud packs around useless blingy bull****. Might as well carry a hi-lift and figure out how to use it. Don't want to? Then don't, and struggle when you need one.

Oh and I've probably used mine a dozen times in the last 5 years.

Last edited:
Here's an example of a situation from the day before yesterday where I wish I had a highlift. This huge rock was buried in the snow and I couldn't see it end it ended up getting under the truck. I didn't really feel like bashing over it- was just starting on a trip for a weekend .....

IMG_0278.JPG

What I didn't take a photo of is the left side of the truck is pretty close to the edge of large drop off. So eventually what I did was just go back-and-forth and move the truck over towards the drop off but it was a little nerve-racking. Eventually I got the tire lined up with the rock I was able to drive over the rock- the truck was closer to the edge then I would've liked. A winch would not of changed the situation.

If I had a highlift with the wheel strap I could've driven forward, lifted up the right rear wheel and shove a log or some rocks under it and been on my way.

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom