How often do you change your oil filter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just did an oil change and a filter change! While doing this I was wondering how often do all of you change your oil/filter.
Give details about what oil you use and what filter. What are your results and superstitions about the oil you use?

I run rotella 15-40 and have been using the remaining Japanese filters I got! I heard rotella is good PM for my muffler bearings.

5000 on the nose using synthetic. Blackstone says ok to 10k but too late, I’m not altering the intervals.

I change air filter, oil filter (and oil) and fuel filter every 5000km. I use Castrol 10w40 oil (the only available in Angola)). Ialso drain fuel and replace fuel filter upon any sign fuel is contaminated.

Just took my rig to an outfit in Namibia for a service and they said I could reduce these changes to 10,000km.

I drive in a very dusty environment and fuel quality is poor (often contaminated with water).

I change my oil the same weekend that clocks change. Been doing this for years. I don't do a ton of miles -maybe 8k per year. Mobil 1 filter and Delo 400LE SAE 15W-40 . On the fall turns I also change my diff and transfer case oil and a drain and refill on the transmission oil. Keeps it simple...

Every 5K.

I change my oil the same weekend that clocks change. Been doing this for years. I don't do a ton of miles -maybe 8k per year. Mobil 1 filter and Delo 400LE SAE 15W-40 . On the fall turns I also change my diff and transfer case oil and a drain and refill on the transmission oil. Keeps it simple...
This is especially nice if you run different weight oils for the winter than you do the summer. Great idea!

I use suspect oil but I change it every 3000 miles. I am believer in the concept of getting all the mixed up gunk out of the engine fairly regularly. I have never lost a car due to a bad motor that I had a chance to maintain this way.

oil and factory filter every 3k give or take a few hundred miles. the truck isnt a dd so its usually 2 oil chnges a year.

5000 miles for oil and filter... sometimes less.
Shell Rotella T6 5W 40. Usually use Toyota filters, one time I had run out and it was a Sunday so I used Napa Gold. No difference noted between filters, but would prefer to continue to use Toyo.

I don't drive much, so around 10,000 Miles a year or less.

Bought it in the fall of 2015 with 157,000 miles, and now it's sitting at 175,600 miles or so.
I've done 4 oil changes since I bought it *edited for precision reporting*

Last edited:
About 12-14k miles, Mobil 1 15W-50, usually Purolator filter. I have never lost a motor that I have maintained this way.

Motorcraft FL1A filter. Delo 400 or Rotella...whichever is on sale. Change every 6K.

Every 3K with the Cummins. Blackstone says I can go to 5K but since it’s not a daily driver I like to at least change it twice a year. Most of my miles come around this time of year when I start traveling more. Since I do it every 3K I switched back to T4 15-40 from T6 to save a bit of coin.

I change it whenever it starts to look pretty bad, normally once a year. I do maybe 5k miles in a year though.

I shoulda taken a "before" pic of the bottom of my oil pan....Wow it was dirty and grimed up...most of my previous oil changes were probably due to old oil loosening off this tar pit of a pan.... I run 15-40 with a big Napa filter, and add RedLine Engine break-in for the zinc

the reddish hue in the (now cleaned) pan is the Redline I added, then had to remove the pan a second time to re-torque the rod bearing caps

Degunked pan 2 weeks.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom