How much seam sealer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Skreddy

SILVER Star
Threads
Hoping to be painting in the next month or so and making sure I get everything I need ordered so I’m ready. For those of you that have re-seam sealed a tub, how much did you use? I don’t want to run out part way through. Haven’t decided on whether I’ll try a 2 part or something like the fast n firm yet. This is just for the tub/cowl as I’m not quite ready to start on the top yet, but if everyone recommends the same for tub and top, then I can buy a little extra.

I think I only used 1 tube of the 2 part seam sealer on my tub. Both underneath and on the inside, and front cowl seam.

Two tubes is more than enough.

Was leaning toward 2 and hoping I didn’t need 3, so 2 it is. Now, to pick one...

Unfortunately I don't have any pics or part numbers of the seam sealer, I was in a mad rush at that point of my build. Some quick google-fu should produce some info on which sealer is the right one for your application.

3M or SEM are probably as high quality as one another.

That’s the one I think I’m going to use.

SEM 40377 Black Heavy Bodied Seam... Amazon product ASIN B0085OUWWE
i’ve been very happy with the SEM product.
Is this sealer thick enough to require the a 2x barrel caulking gun or can I apply it by hand? I wouldn't think so, but wanted to make sure I was ordering everything I need at once.

if you are using the mixer nozzle, you will want the caulk gun. I got mine on ebay..

It works on many size tubes, I just change out washers on the end of the plungers.

I just did this on my rebuild. I cleaned out all the old sealant from every seam. Used 1 tube of the SEM40377 sealant total. Remember you will also need a special caulking gun with 2 pistons. Definitely get the gun. You have about a 5 minute working time before it starts to harden and doing it by hand won’t cut it.

Tape is your friend. Two long runs of tape on each side, don't forget to tape across the ends. Caulk aka seam sealer. Run your finger along the joint wearing a glove. Pull tape dispose of tape and glove. Move to next seam. Repeat. It helps to have a bunch of seams ready to go with the tape. It has an odor. Reminds me of childhood rc boat building with epoxy glue .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom