How many triple locked 100's here? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It was a serious leak from the locker within the differential housing. I could hear the air escaping via the breather and the air compressor running all the time. Blew the driver side CV seal too, due to the breather being too restrictive for the amount of air the compressor was pushing. The amount of air going through was making me think it might be the copper tube - maybe it got caught on the gears?
I had it installed in the car for a year without connecting it to the compressor and it was like that when I finally attached it. Was tested to be OK on installation. Las I tried to activate it was 3-4 months ago and it was still leaking.

I am travelling through South America, so today I went to the ARB dealer in La Paz, Bolivia, who sent me to the guy that installs the lockers around here. The guy was unbelievable and beyond useless. I was explaining to him what a breather is and why differentials need them?!
But when I activated the front locker to demonstrate the leak - it was working fine all of a sudden, no leaks. I am not letting those monkeys touch my car with a 10ft pole, but I am wandering what is it that could fail with such a huge leak, then get fixed by itself all of a sudden and when it will fail again??
Good call to avoid that repair monkey

You may be able to wiggle the front diff cover off to inspect - dis mounting the top mount and squeeze the cover between rack. you may have to loosen the back mount and axle tube extension to drop it down a bit - re-sealing the cover will be a little challenge but prob doable-

Shoot a message to ARB in USA- they are on PST Pacific Coast Time zone GMT -7hrs- you have time yet today. They are quite helpful

Here’s the OM to your locker
Page 17 has some trouble shooting tips ( I know you’re capable but maybe it can help)

1673644028807.png

1673644050668.png

I have a tripple locked 100, Harrop up front, Factory Rear (99), using the FR-RR Toyota switch. bone stock other then that and tires. Im going to have to investigate that front diff lock light in the dash!
Did you ever figure out the best way to activate the front locker light?

@Moridinbg I did the trip down to Ushuaia Argentina and back up to the Arctic, I was in Bolivia during the military coup three years ago. Crazy times. Made a lot of friends and contacts along the way … I can’t imagine you would not have much luck in La Paz. Which way are you headed north or south? I know some people in Santiago, also in Ecuador and Bogota that might be able to help. It’s crazy because it seems like almost every person that has a car in Bolivia, drives a Landcruiser. I’ve never seen or been anywhere in the world with that high a ratio of Land Cruiser‘s. Down towards Salar de Uyuni even the police drove Land Cruiser‘s. In fact I would say that one and five automobiles was a Toyota Land Cruiser near the salt flats. I would imagine that your chances of finding a mechanic that’s familiar with those diffs are going to be highest in Bolivia. Please let me know if there’s anything I can do to help.

My '99 LC has the Front Diff Lock indicator already in the combination display, even the bulb was mounted. All that was needed to use it is run a wire from connector C, pin 10 from the back of the dashboard, connect it to ground to light up the indicator:View attachment 2761148
I suspect this was designed in and prepped for the 105 but glad my 100 has it as well, using it now for a Harrop e-locker.
Got some questions about the details of how to wire this up so here´s a follow-up:

The Front Diff Lock Indicator light is powered by the combination meter and has one wire leaving the combination meter on Connector C, Pin 10. This is the 3rd connector counting from the left (Identified as C14 in the LC100 '99 Electrical Wiring Diagram), pin 10 is the top left pin on that connector. The connector already has pins, open it up carefully and add a 22 AWG line, then close the connector again to clamp the line in. The result looks as follows, the purple line is the added line:

AddWireForDiffLockIndicator.jpg

To turn the Front Diff Lock Indicator on, this purple line needs to be switched to ground. This needs to happen when the Eaton Locker is powered. Add a monitoring wire to the Eaton front diff lock power supply and use this to drive the indicator light. I connected this monitoring wire at a location between the relays that actuates the diff lock and the diff lock itself. That way, if the fuse to the diff lock is blown or the diff lock relays is broken then the indicator light stays off to notify a failure. To invert the signal from the diff lock monitoring line use a small relays or the following circuit:
FrontDiffLockIndicatorSchematic.jpg

The "Front Diff Lock Indicator" at the top of the circuit is the line coming from the combination meter. The "Front Diff Lock Actuator Power" is the line coming from the Eaton front diff power supply.

One additional hint for trucks that don´t have AHC: you can use the AHC relays location in the fusebox and the existing AHC wire harness under the hood and behind the dash to control the Eaton front diff. The relays you'd need to get is an ABS(TRC) relay (Toyota partnumber 88263-24040, Blue Relays). Saves pulling a couple new wires through the firewall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom