How many of you guys actually enjoy working on/fixing your 100? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm starting to shift the balance from enjoying the restoration process of my LC to, damn it what now? It seems like if i fix item A, B needs fixing, I fix B, C needs fixing...pretty sure the gf will start cheating on me soon, spent the entire day today drilling out the damn caliper pins that were seized into the calipers and swapping it out. Inspected all my bushings and every single one of them were shot, dried up, cracked to s***s. Shocks are dead too, those are on the way. After putting everything back together, fired it up to go test the brakes, the serpentine belt starting squealing...

Belt is an easy job, shocks is child's play, the bushings, those are a different story, i really hate doing bushing as it takes a lot of work to get them out, and in. :(

/end rant

I've done very little work on my 100. I like working on my 40 better.

For me, I like to do work on the 100 on my schedule and budget. When I am forced to spend time and money on the 100 I get peeved. Go figure.

Much like @REZARF, I love working on it. I just don't love having to work on it. And mods are much more fun than maintenance.

Comparatively speaking I enjoy wrenching on it more so than most newer cars.

Case in point, a buddy of mine was replacing his grille and fog light bulbs. To get the grille out on his 200 required pulling out four or five clips and a plastic insert piece, then finding all the attachment areas for the grille itself. It took us a good 10 minutes to figure it out and we were trying to haul a**. On the 100, three screws, two clips and you're home free in less than a minute.

Fog light bulbs required more plastic body panels to be removed; I ended up not doing it just out of annoyance. On the 100, just lie on the ground, twist the socket and you're good.

That being said, the 100 is not as simple as a 40 Series but compared to all the new stuff out there, it sure is more convenient! I looked under the hood of a Prius and wasn't sure if I was looking at a motor or a barbecue...

My 1992 Benz 300TE 4Matic wagon was a blessing and a curse as everything was mechanical but simple tasks involved the most laborous of labor... The serpentine belt required taking the radiator out...

I see these things going on almost 20 years now and depending on the condition, there are things that are gonna need more work which is why I accept it as it is. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I get fed up with everything and start cursing at myself...

Maintenance items and parts cost could be better, but they could be a lot worse! ;)

Although working on a older cruiser or jeep is easier, I love wrenching on my 100. It has never let me down in 18 years, and I will gladly give it money from my wallet and days of my life!

I like wrenching on my LX470. Its a relatively new vehicle for me and I'm not a
professional mechanic. I like to read this forum and figure out what I think is
possible for me to do and what is not possible. So far all I have done is
proper Engine Oil change, Transfer Case oil change, grease driveshaft,
Nav/DVD hack, installed Trailer Hitch, wired Brake Controller, Heater T's,
replaced the MAF sensor, and installed a Backup Camera.

I got Techstream working on a Windows 10 Tablet so I'm getting set up.

I need to learn how to replace the Brake Pads - last time I did that was in the 1970's
on simpler cars. Never bleed brakes but think I have learned enough to get into trouble.
The AHC fluid flush is a task I want to do, along with replacing the Timing Belt
and Water Pump. I don't have a lift - but do have Ramps and Floor Jack/Jack Stands.

I own a side business wrenching on Cruisers and I still enjoy it. I look at it as bringing back life to these Cruisers for 2nd generation owners who care about them. Every single one I've broken apart for maintenance has had it's own set of issues and it's finding and resolving those issues is what I take pride in.

The hobby affords the ability for me to buy new tools to make my life easier and also fund my addiction to own a couple of Cruisers. Some people like to do yoga or meditate; I like to work in my garage with the music blasting.

I used to love wrenching on my vehicles. When I was single or even just in the dating scene it was truly my hobby. When I got married 7 years ago to the best woman on the planet, I still enjoyed wrenching to some degree and she even would help me. But life gets more complicated over time, responsibilities add up, and once we had our daughter 18 months ago, wrenching almost completely halted. So, now I pay someone else to do everything except oil changes. Sad, but my Priority now is to make memories with my wife and daughter, make money, and enjoy my Land Cruiser in that order.

I own a side business wrenching on Cruisers and I still enjoy it. I look at it as bringing back life to these Cruisers for 2nd generation owners who care about them. Every single one I've broken apart for maintenance has had it's own set of issues and it's finding and resolving those issues is what I take pride in.

The hobby affords the ability for me to buy new tools to make my life easier and also fund my addiction to own a couple of Cruisers. Some people like to do yoga or meditate; I like to work in my garage with the music blasting.
I'm with you @duggy;)
Once under control there's not much to do other than regular PM, the King (my 01) is an example of this. So I restore 100's as hobby for others to enjoy. A heated garage and lift would make a business of it!

I think the frustration for is living in the rust belt, and buying the truck that's been in the rust belt all its life. Though the frame and much of the under carriage isn't rotted, most of the bolts and bushings are all shot. Nothing is more frustrating than getting progress wrenching something, then one bolt decides to not budge, and had to be drilled out.

I'm in the process of doing a TB crank, and by looking at the TB and rear coil spacer lift, i'm very skeptical it'll move a millimeter.

I enjoy what little I can do. It helps I work at a Lexus dealership, and have access to mechanics when I get over my head, need a lift, or just want it fixed quick. I installed my Alpine head unit over the course of 2 weeks, and a couple of 6 packs. Now I could do it in less then an hour, and can change the position of the mic. Sounds stupid, but it was fun. Same thing with the running boards I took off. Took me 2 hours, most here could do it 30 minutes, but learning how to do it and getting dirty with a beer in your hand underneath your badass toy, is pretty awesome.
2 cents.

Wrenching is relatively new to me. 98% of the time I have no idea what I'm doing. I seek info, read, research, and apply. I have no fancy set of tools except for my cheapy Husky socket and ratchet set, screwdrivers, and misc stuff. I haven't spent much time wrenching on my 80s. I am more willing to tinker around with the 100. That being said I have not put in that much money into my 100 since I bought it 2 years ago. I don't get caught up on all the mod stuff. Tires, roof rack delete, AHC fluid swap, new starter, cv boot clamp. Done. Simple. I love my 3 trucks. And I'm looking at my 4th.

I'm starting to shift the balance from enjoying the restoration process of my LC to, damn it what now? It seems like if i fix item A, B needs fixing, I fix B, C needs fixing...pretty sure the gf will start cheating on me soon, spent the entire day today drilling out the damn caliper pins that were seized into the calipers and swapping it out. Inspected all my bushings and every single one of them were shot, dried up, cracked to s***s. Shocks are dead too, those are on the way. After putting everything back together, fired it up to go test the brakes, the serpentine belt starting squealing...

Belt is an easy job, shocks is child's play, the bushings, those are a different story, i really hate doing bushing as it takes a lot of work to get them out, and in. :(

/end rant

I enjoy working on all my trucks, I don't enjoy working on other people's trucks very much. I do enjoy helping other people learn to work on their own trucks.

Sounds like you got a bit of a lemon. I took over a month to find my 100, traveled nearly 1,000 miles to get it. Fixed it up and built it up over the next six months. I am sitting right now next to the sea here in Panama where I drove it 7,000 miles from the USA over 4 months and it has given me zero problems.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom