how long can I run without a fan? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks,

I probably wouldn't be asking this in regards to a I6 era cruiser, but I've yet to turn too many wrenches on anything as new as a 100 series so I hope you pardon me asking. I'm planning on doing my brother in law's timing belt on his 470, but he's saying now that he's nervous to drive it to my garage because of how bad the bearing is for his fan. He says on startup he see's the blades shift as much as a quarter inch:oops: and sounds bad.

I've yet to see it myself, but my main concern is that the bearing lets go and it sends the fan into the radiator fins. That said, I feel like my options are:

1) replace the fan bracket in his driveway and drive it up to my garage without concern. it's just a lot of wasted time as I'll only be taking it right back apart once it gets there.
2) remove the belt or fan beforehand, then drive to my garage in the cool morning hours with both heaters on full blast (and of course keeping a close eye on the temp). it's a half hour down the freeway, or 45-1 hour on highways and backroads.

I guess a 3rd option is to trust that the bearing will hold on long enough to get to my garage in one piece, but that's highly subjective and I wouldn't want to foot the bill for a new radiator just cause I wanted to save some time.

I feel that option 2 is a safe bet from my experience, especially if I have live temp readouts on my OBD2 app. but I recognize my lack of experience on these (or really any) V8s and I don't have a good feel for what kind of heat these things produce. Thoughts?

Much thanks.

Pull the fan nuts, pull the fan and put the nuts back on to hold the pulley. Keep the belt on cause you're gonna want power steering. The truck won't overheat driving down the freeway in the morning and you'll see the gauge climb if your getting close, in which case you can pull over and shut off for a bit.

Pulling the fan and leaving the pulley and nuts to secure it is a good idea but you might need some washers to make up the difference. That said, I would probably just tow it so you don’t have to do the work twice.

You guys live safer than I. I'd just drive it. Chances of it letting go are very low. If it does let go, he buys a new radiator (he does, not you). Radiators are wear components so it's not all wasted even if the fan lets go in spectacular fashion.

Drive it like you stole it from A to B and get her all fixed up properly once she arrives at the shop space.

Change the fan. If you are thinking of pulling the fan at his place you are halfway done to fitting a replacement....

All,

Thanks for all the welcome advice. I'll see what services his insurance offers as far as towing. Short of that, I'll pul the fan and get the trip over with.

My fan bracket bearings came apart and the fan fell forward but did not damage the radiator. I drove it 130 miles to get home. It was all hiway luckily.

A fail case is that the fan bracket seizes up, burns the belt up, sends the belt through the rest of the engine bay and causes collateral damage.

If it's that bad, just tow the truck. Risk vs reward is way upside down here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom