How is the road noise with BFG all terrains? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks I’m considering my next tire and was wondering if the road noise was a lot worse with the BFG all terrains. Does anyone have experience going from the all season to the BFG?

louder and less traction than a lot of newer design tires on the market. Not sure why anyone buys those tires anymore, there are far better options on the market - especially for winter driving.

louder and less traction than a lot of newer design tires on the market. Not sure why anyone buys those tires anymore, there are far better options on the market - especially for winter driving.
Any suggestions? I went to tire rack and only saw three options in stock size?

Stock size on 16's or 18's?

One of my 100's has mickey thompson baja boss at's, they are my current favorite AT tires. Great traction, really quiet, great in the snow and good sidewalls. I don't believe they make them in anything under 17's though.

I have run falken wildpeak at's on that same truck, those are a much better tire than the bfg's IMO but not as good as the baja boss at.

I Just put milestar patagonia xt's on my silverado 2500hd, first time trying milestar tires. They are quiet but louder than the baja boss at, balanced easily and I can't believe how good they are in snow and ice. Sidewalls are good, not sure what tread life will be like though, as I only have about 200 miles on them. Less than $700 installed for 265/75/16 from discount tire.

What kind of driving are you doing?

Current tires are 275/70/16. There aren’t many options that I see. I will be 98 percent on the road except a long snowy dirt road to get to our camp.

I would go with a slightly different size to give you more options. Or, do what I did on my mom's LX470 and buy some tundra 18's and get a lot more options.

Bfg ko2s is one of the oldest tread designs on the market. It was released in 2015 and since then the competitors have really stepped up the game with redesigns to make their product competitive in the at market.

Can't recommend you something because we don't know your usage. If just commuting and no offroading then an all season will give best use case with best mpg.

Here is what the tundra 18's look like on her LX and the 100 with falken at's in 275/65/18.

0F82B69C-B4D9-49E0-AC41-F2247A119CD1.jpeg

92A04BB9-7E99-43D1-AE9E-B82F2943C3C0.jpeg
1A3D2539-2DE9-4FAA-9251-6E81D5480C88.jpeg

C5382885-02BC-4D18-B69A-BE8DE6849070.jpeg

I run The Ko2's on all my vehicles
86 FJ60
93 FZJ80 run the spare as well
01 Sequoia 2nd set
01 F250 Super Duty
They can be tough to get balanced correctly, once they are Balanced properly they are a great tire definitely louder then a touring or street tire but over all a great tire with excellent on and off road manners. they tread wear on the 80 series has been nothing short of remarkable. 40+k miles and still tons of life left.

In my experience they are very quiet for the first half of their life and then get noisy toward the end. An old design, but tried and true in that sense. They wear very well. I run Nitto Ridge Grapplers which look awesome, but they're already starting to show some noise at <10k miles and they're horrible in the snow. KO2 were better, but still not good in the snow.

If you're in a region with serious snow I would not recommend a KO2. Get something more snow friendly or better yet, dedicated snows. The difference between snow tires and KO2 (or most any other AT/All season) on snow is staggering.

I went with the new Toyo AT3s, they’re great in snow and rain, a little more hum than my Continental Terrain Contact ATs (more aggressive tread). No complaints.

Road noise is minimal for me.

Ive been running them on everything from an f250 to the LX for several years now. Never any issues. They don't do great in mud, or snow. But I live in Texas and avoid mud.

Wear is unbeatable for me. Ive routinely gotten 60k out of them at safe tread depths. Keep them rotated and balanced.

There are better off-road tires, just not so much AT tires for me.

I'm on my 2nd set of KO2's. They are remarkably quiet for an AT tire. They were surprisingly quieter than the Michelin LTX. Agree with Supra that they do get louder as they age. I use mine in snow all Winter heading to the mountains skiing. While not as good as a dedicated snow tire like Blizzak's I've never had an issue.

I always seem to forget that there is a whole range of AT tires that I don't consider all terrains, since they have paper thin sidewalls and belong on a vehicle that wont see anything more than a graded dirt road or maybe some snow over a graded road. I live in AZ where we have a lot of sharp rocks and I wheel a lot, so I only consider buying tires that have good sidewalls.

BFG all terrains were the first all terrain tires with good sidewalls that you could air down to 10psi, thats what set them apart way back when they were a new design. They filled a huge void in the market for people who use their truck for work and getting out on the weekends. Back in 2006 I was happy with bfg all terrains, had them on a silverado then on my 85 4runner for a few years. Most recently my wifes 04 4runner came with a new set when we bought it in 2015. I had been running cooper st maxx on my 80 since 2013, so I immediately noticed how bad the bfg's were in the snow by comparison. We put about 30k on the bfg's, then I bought some cooper st maxx for her truck. Those st maxx now have about 30k on them and are still quieter than the bfg's when I sold them and are still better in the snow than the bfg's were new. Cant knock the BFG tread life at all, they were still about 65% at 30k ish miles.

BFG's are overdue for a redesign, but BFG has no reason to since they have crazy brand loyalty and people keep buying them. Still not a bad tire by any means, but there are far better tires out in the last 3 or so years with better sidewalls, better traction in everything that BFG AT's suck at and have similar tread life with less noise.

For the OP, if you never air down or drive on rocks, you would probably be just fine with the thin sidewall AT's that weigh 10-15lbs less per tire than burlier tires. Going from 245/75/16 cooper at3's on my current silverado to the milestart patagonia xt's in 265/75/16 felt like I lost 60hp and 75 ftlbs of torque, the milestars weigh about 20lbs more and are a bit taller. Everything is a trade off, i'll pay the extra in gas and eat the loss in power for the comfort of not worrying about cutting a sidewall so much. But if you don't venture off of graded roads, the trade off of hauling around extra rotating mass might not be worth it. I put heavier falkens on my moms lx since she is physically unable to change a tire, so I don't have to worry so much about her hitting a curb and getting a pinch flat. That happened pretty frequently with the car she had before she entered the cruiser world.

a little late posting pics of the Kenda AT2's. they were about 50-60% the price of the bfg ko2's i had previously. So far they have been really good. they arent mud terrains or hybrids, but they did fairly well in mud on a small hill (here in super sticky texas mud). just spin them up. noise has been comparable to the KO2's. The on road traction is really good and handles rain well. they have handled rock and dirt well in colorado (ton of forest service road and high clearance trail in colorado).

PXL_20210704_224015340.jpg

PXL_20210703_163435616.jpg

PXL_20210703_162501325.jpg

I'd love to hear about the ride quality of the tires being talked about in this thread. I have Michelin LTX AT2s on my LX and I find them to be pretty harsh at lower speeds, and that is with them aired down to 30psi. Anybody care to share their experiences, especially if they have had the LTX tires in the past?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom