how hi is too hi (oil pressure) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BMT

Threads
In the last two oil changes I have switched to Valvoline Maxlife 10W-30. I do not know if it is a coincidence or not but my oil pressure will peg at hi cruising along at over 2000 RPM. At idle it's a little less than half. Anyone else have hi oil pressure? ???

BMT

Mine runs at the 2/3's mark constantly. Did an oil change to 15w50 M1 about 500 miles ago - no change in gauge position.
My 96 has 80,050 miles.

(hopefully the picture posts)

Joe

That's wierd. I had a sending unit failure that acted like that in my Audi.

1FZ-FE with Castrol GTX 2 20W/50 is about Needle thickness under 2/3 to Needle thickness over 2/3 under normal operating conditions :) in Winter :'(.

Since I first switched to the smaller filter, my oil pressure went up. It's never pegged, but it was very close to the top. I've gone back and forth between filters, and it stays high.

I just switched to that same oil today so I'll report back if I experience anything like that.

as far as I can tell, my pressure gauge never goes to more than 1 needle width above the 2/3 mark. Relief valve opening, I imagine.

FWIW, my 93 270k runs the 2:00 hash mark at 2200 rpm and between the first and second hash marks at idle; good ole Shell Rotella 15w-40 (I'm going to buried with 1 gallon containers in each hand).

I'm running Mobil Delvac 15w40 and at 2000 rpm I am roughly at 2pm as well. At idle it drops down.

Running M1 5w30 during the winter and the pressure never got above half way up.

Thinner oil I am assuming based on all of the oil talk on this site.

Best.
-onur
Akron, OH

Jonathan_Ferguson said:
1FZ-FE with Castrol GTX 2 20W/50 is about Needle thickness under 2/3 to Needle thickness over 2/3 under normal operating conditions :) in Winter :'(.

This is the same oil I use and my gauge reading is consitent with the above.

The by pass pressure for the relief is set to max out at 74-75 psi. That does not mean you are at that pressure or beyond. You really need to hook a guage that is accurate up to find out the real pressure. The help you are getting is not accurate. no two stock guages and there reading are the same. You could have a problem, like a pluged up oil filter creating too much pressure or something else, not to say you do. It is best to hook the engine up to either mechancal guage (best in my mind) or a high quailty electrical one to test you oil system to see if their is a problem. later robbie

robbie said:
The by pass pressure for the relief is set to max out at 74-75 psi. That does not mean you are at that pressure or beyond. You really need to hook a guage that is accurate up to find out the real pressure. The help you are getting is not accurate. no two stock guages and there reading are the same. You could have a problem, like a pluged up oil filter creating too much pressure or something else, not to say you do. It is best to hook the engine up to either mechancal guage (best in my mind) or a high quailty electrical one to test you oil system to see if their is a problem. later robbie

For us :banana:+ 1/2 mechanics how and where do you hook up a mechanical oil pressure guage. Mine will occationally read low pressure when at idle (below first hash) but most of the time will be above the first hash at idle. Since it has only done this on two or three in the last year I've chauked it to a malfunctioning guage. I'd just like to be sure

One approch is to remove the stock oil pressure sensor and replace with the sensor for the mechanical gauge. The service manual will show where the sensor is, I haven't looked.

RH side of the engine block. below the forward exhaust manifold.

Oil Pressure

My needle moves higher w/increased RPMs as others have already indicated. It freaked me out a little on my 800 mile test drive home. From what I've been told and read it's more or less normal as long as it isn't pegged in the high position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom