How hard it it to remove the glass? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm thinking of repainting the cruiser myself. My bro did his and it turned out great so he's volunteered to help me. Thing is, his has a soft top, mine is hard. I'm worried about all the glass. I'd like to remove it to get a clean finish. Is it tough to remove? whats the process and am I going to have to replace all the rubber? its seems to be in good shape. thanks for any help.

the hardtop sides aren't really tough, I started in one corner, plying the rubber with a screwdriver and push the glass out, making my way to the next corner on the shortest side. after the first side is free, the glass is virtually free and pops out easily...

tried the same method and broke the windshield, I think it fits a lot tighter... Next time I'll just cut the rubber around the windshiels...

also, it's easier if it's all warmer, the rubber is a lot softer...

HTH,

bye,

Denis

The glass is super easy to out and in. Now I don't know the tech terms but here goes. There is a rubber spacer(like a rubber string) that runs outside in the center of the window gasket. Find the end of it and with a dental tool or small pick pry it out. Now pull it carefully out all the way around. Now your window gasket will flex and the window with minimal prying will come right out. Out is easy, in, I would not try cause if you see the glass guys put it in they hava special tool that spreads the rubber and fits the string piece back in. Just drive your cruiser to a glass shop with all your windows and for probably $20 they will take the 10 minutes to put them back in and you wil not have to replace a cracked piece of glass. Now you can if you really want use a couple screwdrivers and work at prying it back together but I wouldn't chance it. Also it is a good idea to have a helper there just in case of a slip. Also in case of a replacement I found that the glass is just "laminated" glass and any glass shop will cut it for you if you have the dimensions and it is real cheap. You can also get tinted quite cheap as I am doing for mine. One other note if you are not wanting to replace the rubber gaskets(best choice is replacing but quite expensive) get some armor all or other type of rubber refinisher and coat them up and go it on a warm day later in the afternoon so the rubber can soften and store them flat or they could crack up on you. Hope this helps.

Eternal-70 40

Carefull with the Armor All!!! :eek: Remember the commercials back a few years ago for Armor All - they suggested doing the tires. Well, people did and they had problems with dry rot. Since then Armor All has come up with a special formula for tires.

Surprisingly, Armor All dries out rubber (I was told by a reputible source that it hinders the chemical components that reduce the effect of ozone on rubber).

I worked with a seal engineer in the past here in the Detroit area and he said there are a few products that are good for maintaining seals - Grytox and Sill Glide. If you can't find that stuff, then silicone is an acceptable substitute.

I just put the glass back in my winshield yesterday. I left the seal outside in the sun for an hour to let it soften. Use your oven at your own risk at 130 degrees F. I used the string method with the aid of a putty knife (the string method can be found on a lot of internet sites or the factory manual). It took me a while, but it worked. I used 22 gage wire. If you're short on time, definately have someone do it. It's cheap and if they break the glass you don't have to pay for it.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom