How do you tap into

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by ScottFJ40, Mar 25, 2003.

1. ScottFJ40

ScottFJ40

the fuse box for a power supply. I am looking for a 12v power supply for my hei. How do you guys tap into the fusebox. Sorry for the noobish question, I am an electrical moron. :D

2. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

Best way would be to run it off the stock key-on "engine" fuse circuit. This circuit is the wires that are black with a yellow stripe that originally ran to the coil, idle solenoid, VSV, etc.

3. Vortec_Cruiser

Vortec_Cruiser

Your fuse block will have two male spade fittings on the front side. One is for keyed-power, and the other is constant power. You may have to unbolt the fuse block from the pillar to see the fittings. ::)

4. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    I've used both of those spade fittings for external fuse blocks with great success....

But the black/yellow stripe wire is what connects to your HEI coil input. This is not only run-hot but also start-hot, which is important.

5. Webster

Webster

When you say start-hot you mean while cranking,correct?
    I am doing a TBI conversion and am trying to find the correct wire that is hot while on/running/cranking.

6. woody

Media:
    Albums:
    yeppers....hot while cranking....and that's the black-yellow wire in the Cruiser harness.

See the tech section/Chev swaps for some TBI 350 wire diagrams I just linked up today....

7. ScottFJ40

ScottFJ40

Thanks once again guys for your comments and suggestions. I have to buy a multimeter I guess.

8. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    Scott,
    Another suggestion would be to use your existing ignition-on wire in the stock loom and instead of running it straight to your HEI (it's too small) run it to a 30 amp relay that draws it's power straight from the battery. Then run a 10ga wire from the relay to the HEI. The HEI calls for a 10 ga wire. However I did wire mine direct, with no problems....yet. But I plan on wiring in the relay.
    I'm still a "Rookie" so somebody please grade my paper. Seriously
    Ed Long

9. woody

Media:
    Albums:
    I did the relay on my carbed 350 for a while...there was no seat-of-the-pants difference at all. On my TBI350 install, I just used the wire direct.

10. 72cruiser

72cruiser

hey guys,

i just finished my HEI (and in a hurry so i could actually go home over spring break, ha ha). i haven't done the fuse/relay thing yet.

could someone explain to me how and why for this? i'd be real grateful, esp. b/c i have no electrical experience whatsoever.

thanks,
    jonathan

11. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    Like I said, no problems with it wired direct, yet, but my experience with automotive wiring is, the bigger the better, with the appropriate fuse and/or relay. I don't think it is as much a performance issue as it is a safety issue. If GM calls for a 10ga wire, believe me they're not going to specify a wire any larger then necessary. IMHO
    Ed Long
    I hate electrical fires, they're so very....well...stinky and they fry a lot of sh*t

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.