How do you tap into

Visit site
the fuse box for a power supply. I am looking for a 12v power supply for my hei. How do you guys tap into the fusebox. Sorry for the noobish question, I am an electrical moron. :D

Visit site
Best way would be to run it off the stock key-on "engine" fuse circuit. This circuit is the wires that are black with a yellow stripe that originally ran to the coil, idle solenoid, VSV, etc.

Visit site
Your fuse block will have two male spade fittings on the front side. One is for keyed-power, and the other is constant power. You may have to unbolt the fuse block from the pillar to see the fittings. ::)

woody

Staff member
Admin
Website
www.TieRodMedia.com
I've used both of those spade fittings for external fuse blocks with great success....

But the black/yellow stripe wire is what connects to your HEI coil input. This is not only run-hot but also start-hot, which is important.

woody

Staff member
Admin
Website
www.TieRodMedia.com
yeppers....hot while cranking....and that's the black-yellow wire in the Cruiser harness.

See the tech section/Chev swaps for some TBI 350 wire diagrams I just linked up today....

Visit site
Scott,
Another suggestion would be to use your existing ignition-on wire in the stock loom and instead of running it straight to your HEI (it's too small) run it to a 30 amp relay that draws it's power straight from the battery. Then run a 10ga wire from the relay to the HEI. The HEI calls for a 10 ga wire. However I did wire mine direct, with no problems....yet. But I plan on wiring in the relay.
I'm still a "Rookie" so somebody please grade my paper. Seriously
Ed Long

Visit site
hey guys,

i just finished my HEI (and in a hurry so i could actually go home over spring break, ha ha). i haven't done the fuse/relay thing yet.

could someone explain to me how and why for this? i'd be real grateful, esp. b/c i have no electrical experience whatsoever.

thanks,
jonathan

Visit site
Like I said, no problems with it wired direct, yet, but my experience with automotive wiring is, the bigger the better, with the appropriate fuse and/or relay. I don't think it is as much a performance issue as it is a safety issue. If GM calls for a 10ga wire, believe me they're not going to specify a wire any larger then necessary. IMHO
Ed Long
I hate electrical fires, they're so very....well...stinky and they fry a lot of sh*t

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom