How do I remove this bushing... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jackbrad said:
Heeavy Sigh... :) Thanks .... That is what I am guessing now to.

No need to guess....It is a fact that the drum brake spindle bushing has a smaller ID than the disc brake spindle bushing.

Why are you not converting to disc brakes? ;)

because drum birfs are better, why would anyone switch.

rogersfj401969 said:
i think that if you removed it you would need a new one, and they are not sold seperatly form the spindle (at least not from toyota) this would indicate to me that toyota dose not want it taken out

rogersfj401969 said:
because drum birfs are better, why would anyone switch.

So many things are now clear... ;)

ask how many birfs i have in the truck right now.... hint it's an even number because they go in sets.

rogersfj401969 said:
ask how many birfs i have in the truck right now.... hint it's an even number because they go in sets.

having been in your truck, ill guess 6. Thanks again for the letting me be the passenger on the rubithon, I had a blast. No broken birfs either! Did you get that spare wheel?

mike

You guys have to forgive my ignorance...

Drum birfs are better ... That is just a joke right?

I am now wondering how much trouble it would be to just get a couple of disk assemblies from from the knuckle out.

I got a kit from JT outfitters to replace the front drums with the chevy stuff... I don't know if I can return it.

Can I just replace spindles and put disk equipment from there out or would it require something more at the diff? I don't see why it would.

Marlin sales this conversion... I don't know if it is any good/better or not.

It would get me the spindles and axles..

birfelm_500.jpg

I guess I would still need the brakes and hubs

Drum brake fing birfs are a cheap fuse, with some dirty labor involved in swapping the fuse....

30 spline Longs are significantly stronger than that set up from Marlin....

You will need to change the parts from the knuckle out, including the outer axle stub...the knuckles have the mount for the caliper, unlike the drum knuckle....Hey, then you can use your centering tool! ;)

Hit the FAQ and read away about front disc conversions/Mini truck knuckle swaps, etc.

Good luck!

-Steve

jackbrad said:
You guys have to forgive my ignorance...

Drum birfs are better ... That is just a joke right?

I am now wondering how much trouble it would be to just get a couple of disk assemblies from from the knuckle out.

I got a kit from JT outfitters to replace the front drums with the chevy stuff... I don't know if I can return it.

Can I just replace spindles and put disk equipment from there out or would it require something more at the diff? I don't see why it would.
I got a whole 1985 mini truck front axel from the junk yard for around $200. Make sure it still has the hubs and calipers, they were missing from mine between the time I paid for it and came back to pick it up after it was pulled from the rig. I just stripped everything from the knuckle out and gave the rest to a friend who owns a mini truck. I traded the birfs and inner axles to a guy who helped my with the re-build. It's not hard after you see it done.

Last edited:
jackbrad said:
Steve,

I asked my uncle to machine me the piece as you suggested earlier..
The expense and reconfig of all this stuff is to much to bring to bear on this project.

I will post the resolution.

Jack

You can find the knuckle pieces in the junk yard bud....it really is not THAT much money to make the conversion from drum to disc knuckles and the corresponding brake pieces....

Call JTO and send that kit back. ;)

:beer:

No much luck on return... Purchased at the beginning of July.
==========
Returns - Our return policy is simple: you can return resellable parts within 30 days. There will be a 20% restocking fee and shipping is never refunded. If you 'just send it back' or 'refuse shipment' we will not know what to do with your package and it will likely be discarded. If somehow we are able to discern what it is, you will be responsible for double the shipping cost.
==========

Seems sorta harsh... but, I guess it is business.

jackbrad said:
No much luck on return... Purchased at the beginning of July.
==========
Returns - Our return policy is simple: you can return resellable parts within 30 days. There will be a 20% restocking fee and shipping is never refunded. If you 'just send it back' or 'refuse shipment' we will not know what to do with your package and it will likely be discarded. If somehow we are able to discern what it is, you will be responsible for double the shipping cost.
==========

Seems sorta harsh... but, I guess it is business.

Ebay it. There is always someone looking for a "Complete Kit";)

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom