How do I remove this bushing... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mattison-consulting.com
Is the only way with one of this funny pullers?

I need to put a piece of the sst tool in the spindle but, this bushing is in the way.

bushing.jpg

I have to put this tool in there there. (Red)
spinalbushing.JPG

If I take this out will I have to buy a new one?

Are they available?

Knuckles= BIG PITA

My understanding is that you don't remove the bushing. the part you have highlighted in red IS the bushing.

on the spindle you only use the center part of the sst.
On the axle housing is where you will use the "spacer",of course you'll have to remove the inner axle seal...
hope this helps.

Pin_Head said:
My understanding is that you don't remove the bushing. the part you have highlighted in red IS the bushing.

I agree but, the sst tool piece will not fit in that bushing.
nofit.jpg

All I knwo to do is take it out and put it back in.

Something seems a little fishy though.

i think that if you removed it you would need a new one, and they are not sold seperatly form the spindle (at least not from toyota) this would indicate to me that toyota dose not want it taken out

rogersfj401969 said:
i think that if you removed it you would need a new one, and they are not sold seperatly form the spindle (at least not from toyota) this would indicate to me that toyota dose not want it taken out

90999-70067 Your disc brake spindle bushing....

Does your center piece of the tool have a sleeve on it like this one?
Gauge04.jpg
Gauge02.jpg

Pull the sleeve off and it drops right in, provided your bushing is not nicked or damaged at all... ;)

Oh, and one of the box the tool came in...

:beer:
Gauge03.jpg
Gauge01.jpg

rogersfj401969 said:
maybe it was a drum break thing

90999-70027 drum brake spindle bushing....still a good #.

Thanks Steve... It did come with one sleeve however, even with it off it does not want to drop down in there. I am worried the sleeve is screwed up.... or is different than the one you showed... (Although, I bet your right somehow)

In the pic I posted and when working with it, it looks as if it is really close to dropping in... close but, no cigar.

It does not seem right to have to pull the bushing but it also seems like it will not fit. (The pic you posted kills me I wish mine could just do that.)

It I do take it out then I would have to use the sleeve in place of the bushing. Does not seem right...

I think that I have something confused. I have not tried the right spindle because I did not want to take the right apart until I had gotten done with the left.

Just the slightest nick in the bushing will create problems....

See if you can find where it it hitting and lightly dress that area with a file if it is not smooth....

I have seen some pretty wasted bushings because of broken fing birfs over the years....that one does not look to be that bad, but look at it closely, there has to be something distorted about it not letting that piece drop into the bushing....

Do you have another spindle? Does it fit in that bushing?

Do you have a dial-caliper? Can you measuer the diameter of the piece that is supposed to drop into the bushing?

update...

I took these pics... I think that they tell a lot.

It appears I have the same tool.

The bushing internals seem smaller that the sleeve piece insides and the piece that is surposed to slide in is a .1 bigger.

Same part number:
box.jpg

The two pieces... The sleeve and the line marker holder.
sleeveon.jpg

The sleeve positioned on top of the spindle bushing so you can see through it and see that the bushing is smaller internally.
insidesleevebushingshowing.jpg

Inside bushing mesaurement
insidebushingsze.jpg

Marking tool holder piece outside measurements.
outsidetoolsize.jpg

Comments welcome...
All I know to do is try the other side and make sure it is the same problem. :(

rotate the digital measuring thing 180 degrees and the back side it you can reach it to see if you get the same measurements. Just an idea.

Are you working on a disc spindle or a drum spindle? ;)

I would bet a drum spindle....

Drum axle will require a different tool piece to center on the smaller diameter bushing in the drum brake spindle.

If you know a good machinist I am sure that they could make something in pretty short order for you.

I would be very surprised to find that the drum version of this tool is still available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom