How bad is this idea? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been working on a rebuild of my front axle, long story short I destroyed a trunion bearing race (my fault) and I have received the wrong replacement part twice. I have now been waiting a month to finish assembly and I just want it done. here comes the dumb idea:

What if I just re-use one of the old races with a new bearing. I have a couple that look to be in good shape and really do trunion bearings see enough rotation to truly "wear in" the way a wheel bearing and race do?

its just going to accellerate wear on your new bearings. and need constant retorqueing or else when it starts to wear match the race....excessive play will develop and then accelerate wear even quicker.

get the right part overnighted if you cant wait... or you will be in there again with the whole process alot sooner than need be. an extra $10-20 for shipping fast vs redoing a whole axle rebuild....... is somewhere between priceless and $20 for sure.

I would only do it if you REALLY need the rig on the road ASAP! Bearings/races wear in and match each other. It sounds like you need to upgrade your parts source?

The true death wobble Is caused by Improper trunion bearing preload. This condition Is very serious and I would not put myself or anyone else In the position where that condition would be achieved more easilly. I would get the new part overnight. Good Luck..! :)

Here Is a quality quote on this Issue from Dave 2000. I'm Just trying to give you more Information.
Insufficient preload on the upper and lower trunnions are IME the biggest single cause of the 'Death wobble'. Check it carefully with a spring gauge. The death wobble needs something to 'set it off', the wheel bearings would have to be very loose to start it off, so loose that you would have virtually no brake pedal after driving about 10 feet. An out ofround tyre rarely is the cause as this gets noticed in other ways (noise/vibration). Even the steering damper has been blamed but again IME the damper will not stop the real thing, it may help but the damper is applied to the steering and not the suspension. A death wobble caused by worn or loose top and bottom swivels is not going to be helped by changing the damper, the affect s simply to strong to damp down.

As an sides and not aimed at anyone in particular, I have noticed that the 'Death wobble' gets announced for a simple vibration caused by an out of balance tyre or wheel, the genuine death wobble is not something that happens every time you hit 60 MPH, or a small shudder under braking. The real thing normally happens when on a curve and set off by a simple bump, the loading on the suspension being shuffled from side to side, or braking quite heavy i.e. when the suspension components are loaded up, this will throw the vehicle about quite violently and to the uninitiated can be quite scary, for future posters spend some time to make sure you have the real thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom