How and why did you choose your rig for expo? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm in the use what you have camp too.

If you have to buy just 1 in the USA, and 80 can do basically everything here.

More modern Land Cruisers have more power and comfort.

But if you're building an offroader, the newer and more expensive Cruisers are too nice to take anywhere that threatens the body work.

And, a Domestic Pick up would make a good base for an adventure truck, minus some of the more technical trails. But you'd get power, availability of spares/repairs, and honestly, newer ones have good build quality (at least Ford and GM). Diesel versions easily available.

Agree with this ^

For me decisions for truck went along with changing needs and compromises that came with need for more space. When it was just me my 40 was all I needed. Then with two of us and dog we went to a BJ60. Then with four plus a dog the 60 even with trailer was pushing the 3B diesel too far. Now its domestic crew cab diesel as the primary family camping and road trip unit :meh:. Mind you, this is for camping and short trips for up to 3 wks, not true 'expo' use. Probably wouldn't trust the pickup for a multi continent trip or anything. I'd take the 60 for that instead.

100_3956a.JPG

DSC_0150a.jpg

DSC_0868a.jpg

3DSC_0877a.JPG

HDJ78 troop carrier with 1HD-T and factory aux tank. Add basic lift, air lockers, large compressor, large winch, ARB winch bar, light bars, 33" skinnies on split rims, kit out the interior and hit the road. That 1HD-T will run trouble free for miles. Or if the budget is tight, grab a HZJ75 troopy and turbo the 1HZ.

You always want what you dont have..... All Maltec German built Toyota trucks are diesel. They recently picked up a 2017 USA gas 200 series and after 10 minutes in the seat they said they liked the gas better than the twin turbo diesel they have become accustom to. LOL

Reactions: RFB
HDJ78 troop carrier with 1HD-T and factory aux tank. Add basic lift, air lockers, large compressor, large winch, ARB winch bar, light bars, 33" skinnies on split rims, kit out the interior and hit the road. That 1HD-T will run trouble free for miles. Or if the budget is tight, grab a HZJ75 troopy and turbo the 1HZ.

Love the factory dual gas gauges

Qah8l2Zgn_u4wCW5_2mPKcuxZDgKG5bdoIeiPjl35_MYbL5fVvDph2acxIZPnYR0oNGcqCzVQ1UcFHHWXE_mowQrSCnH3PtWw8GB31Oh7tOGJsTbOjerV60XHC5rxPVkiiyWsDX-h7qoy3-j0PgTQP1vJlOaB-UAZORwSXIdaR1TOvdqMjrn_fK3dpXRlxW1d6NATGFkhwKfYoJSn9OVIuuZA4tR0B1cNyaFGDa4p8tiFg_vGmoQ5E_NzWnhijGwgUBA5gfcdiDlY0enqo1N7KCHjwsn3IouB7iHqizn7-FX6jpsYHhkaUSaqehfvECpB3XInAklyFsj4OwJJhKJDUQ6P9ct-e4usWTLgIqtikujwCdxHny7vio4S_3Ue7w5mIDK9h_jxg1cdEzyW2SYacBwApMDOEd0n5bizB24Nvjw2CdoLw8rbePKSw8idDBHDo-HdJ5JicXFQPdbJ57jA-GMxKzgCNjqhOmea0iA5_KtsXFv59F5VNtHe3KWalhtGTJxvWzZ1zHQdXwJ-lOQYUzuv4OPXA0lntEraV-lYYjIFIwGtlh7z3Tl4hbTh_7nl7TOEv8XqoVCw4SdSEZT0pceUXlFPEKezvwEGPlSFB9YVYSH_qTFt6wsOqAzJTYJ=w1415-h943-no

I wanted a vehicle with enough room in the back to stretch out and sleep. That narrowed it to a pickup truck with a camper shell or a station wagon.

Bought an FJ60. It's a car with more room in the back than short wheel base pickup trucks.

010.JPG

Had the vehicle 6 1/2 years before converting to over-landing setup this year. Still work in progress with little tweaks here and there. Welcome to the great outdoors lol

43415122_10217410475799958_5320925104866066432_o.jpg

43490643_10217410438559027_8715325827199270912_o.jpg

IMG_7370.jpeg

I have a 60 because...
- It was the best 4x4 I could buy for the $1600 I had scraped together at the end of 2010, after selling my horrible 1990 Cherokee (D35 rear axle, dead power everything, and a psychopathic broken ABS computer that tried to kill me and various pedestrians several times).
- For most of 2010-2015, I was close enough to broke that all I could really afford was to replace old parts as they wore out and just keep it on the road.
- By then, it was running pretty dang well, and as my budget finally increased a little, so I could afford to piece together a lift, tires, a winch bumper, etc., in $200-$1000 chunks, and way too much gas, but spending thousands, at minimum, to get something appreciably better was totally unrealistic.
- Still poor now, but I have all the camping gear necessary to have a good time, and I can afford gas, beer, ice, and camping food. Since the 60 just keeps on cruising with periodic fluid changes, the obvious option is to keep taking it on trips. Future upgrades include more expo-centric gear, like a tire/jerry can carrier, some rear storage, and a 12v fridge, a rear locker, and a couple technical-wheeling-oriented, like a rear ARB and rock sliders. Very long-term, I'd like an H55 and maybe a diesel engine, TBI, or a V8, but at the moment I'm having a lot of fun everywhere except especially steep roads with high speed limits.

80 series...there's just nothing quite like it. I own a newer GX as well, but to me it's just an appliance. Love the weekends when I pull her out of the garage and just cruise around...
20181008_162105.jpg

I chose an HDJ81.

I chose it because it has a 1HDT factory turbo-diesel, and I don't mind RHD vehicles in the USA.

It also has factory lockers, so I don't have to worry the complexity of adding that.

IMHO, the HDJ8X is one of the last simple, all-mechanical vehicles that you can still get parts for, and can still drive down the highway at a decent speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom