Hose Clamp on CV Boot Balance Issues? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Having some grease fling after 2" lift on small openings of inboard CV boot where it is supposed to seal over the shaft. The boot slides around on the shaft fairly easily by hand so it's clear the factory clamps have loosened up.

Looking at the rolled edge Mcmaster style hose clamps that I've seen discussed after searching this topic.

I've seen the balance issue brought up in the threads but no definitive thoughts one way or the other. Being that I'd only be using the small clamps on the inboard sides of the shaft. Does it seem like this would present any balance issue at all? My thoughts are that the overall weight of the clamp/screw is very slight in relation to the overall assembly and also that the grease inside the boots are most likely not perfectly distributed thereby creating a potential balance issue there as well which would make the screw on the clamp completely inconsequential.

Thoughts? Experiences with these styles of clamps?

Agreed, there is no balance issue. I replaced all 4 clamps on both sides with the worm drive type over 30k miles ago.

That said, I was very careful to put the screws on opposite sides to minimize any possible balance issue. Doubt that was necessary though.

No issues here... I put together OE axles (MUDer sent me his inboards that were good with trashed outers and I purchased new outers that had everything) and when I did I used the McMaster-Carr clamps. Had them on for about a year now and lots of driving and wheeling and zero issues (knock on wood).

On a small car, you might feel it, but on this behemoth, it'll take a lot to make it vibrate.

No issues with mine, coming up on 100,000 miles.

Beating a dead horse here but also no issues on mine. I offset mine so that the weight was distributed.

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 8.39.31 PM.png

I won't be able to offset mine because I'm only doing 1 clamp per CV assembly. I'm not going to disturb the factory clamps that are holding solid at this point.

I still don't think it's anything to worry about given the responses here and as stated, too big of an assembly/slower speed and light weight of the clamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom