1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Horn Upgrade!

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by chriscruiser, Jan 5, 2004.

1. chriscruiser

chriscruiser

I've had my cruiser for about 4 months and so far I love it with the exception of the horn. I think for such a large vehicle that the horn does not do it justice. So, my friend and I installed the "Big Horn" air horns from Pep Boys (cost ~$30 USD) and man what a difference. They are very loud and when someone is trying to cut you off and you blast those bad boys they get the heck out of the way. I used the existing horn wires so installation was very easy. The benefits so far are enourmous, already I had a lady almost run into me and when I blasted the horns she quickly moved out of my lane. I think this is a minor but very essential mod that perhaps no one has considered but should. Cost and installation is cheap and it includes just about everything you need.

-Chris :flipoff2:

2. Shortbus

Shortbus

Just did the same last weekend with a 2 horn high tone / low tone setup that I bought from GI Joes. HUGE difference. Nothing worse than that Yugo-esque beep that Toy gave us from the factory. Cost for mine were about 28 bucks. It's basically a 1/2 :banana: job too. Nice improvement for only a few bucks.

3. Junk

Junk

I'm taking the bell off my little boy's bike and mounting it near my side mirror. :flipoff2:

4. Junk

Junk

OOops :whoops:, scratch that. Bad idea. It's chrome which means T already has one. :flipoff2:

5. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Well unless you son's bell is translucent aluminum then I doubt it would go with my clear/gold decorating scheme this year . But you're on the right track ... my old bell was chromoly you fugly ;-(/)

6. bwbski

bwbski

i got the hella supertoners off ebay for 25dollars. there 118 decibles. there just bellow the abnoxious level. i love em. and i aslo agree that the stock horn on my 100 was inadiquite for driving in new york. but i do spend every weekend in vt at my winter house. i bought my 100 last nov 1st with 44,000 miles and to this date i have 81,000 miles. im glad i got a car that is extremely well built. and built to last

7. Shortbus

Shortbus

138db of ear pearcing power. :D

8. cruiser101101

cruiser101101

Hey you guys just keep finding me new jobs to do at the weekend - pack it in before SWMBO gets a monk on! :slap:
    Seriously the Toy horns are pants, don't like non oem but in this case there is no option.

9. Junk

Junk

Shortbus, are yours high pitched or lower? Which model?

So far I've gone through 3 different horns, all bought from scrap or donated and have yet to find a decent sounding one.

Maybe I should just camp near the Lincoln Tunnel some night.

10. Shortbus

Shortbus

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=9688;start=msg85673#msg85673 date=1073424107]
    Shortbus, are yours high pitched or lower? Which model?

So far I've gone through 3 different horns, all bought from scrap or donated and have yet to find a decent sounding one.

Maybe I should just camp near the Lincoln Tunnel some night.
    [/quote]

Junk...

I'll have to take a picture of the package and post it when I get home this afternoon. Nice little snow/ice storm, so might be a bit of a delay getting around the freakin' moron's who insist on driving their 72 El Camino to work with bald tires. Soon as I get home I'll flash a couple pix. One is high tone, the other is low. Loud and clear. +cheap. :flipoff2:

11. Shortbus

Shortbus

Hey Junk.... Here's the 411 on the horns.

They're made by Carrand Horns. I got them at a GI-Joes store. Not sure if you've got those in your parts. They're called the "Magnum Blaster Horn", and no I didn't swipe em off a Durango. :flipoff2: 29.98 for the pair. One is a high note, and the other a low note. If they had a middle note, I woulda bought that sucker too. They're 138 decibles. Quieter than the 4 Cadillac horns I used to run on just about all my cars. Found em in a wrecking yard in 1979 in a 66 Fleetwood, and had em till last year. They took a little fitting, but it was worth it. My favorite, was putting them in a 1990 Geo Metro I bought for running around at work. Sounded like a freight train, and nobody could figure out where the noise was coming from. But, they did get out of my way.

Oh... back to the horns. :slap: I finally smoked the old Caddy horns in a honking fit, so I tossed em. These things are pretty loud, and fit in nicely where the factory horns go. When I first installed them, they sat a little high, and one was just about touching the hood when closed. Installed as flws:

1) Made up a new "wiring harness" for them with new female ends
    2) Soldered it to the factory harness
    3) Trimmed the lip on the factory mounting arms so I could swing the horns downward a bit.
    4) Bent the arms back toward the radiator a little, to keep them from rubbing.
    5) Plug in and honk.

You can see in the pictures. I put a couple up on my Fotki site. There's one picture of the package below and the others you can link to. So I'm not being a bandwidth whore with too many pix. ::)
    [​IMG]

The others are here.... http://public.fotki.com/GoKart3/landcruiser_stuff/misc_cruiser_pix/

If you want the horns and can't find em, PM me. I'll pick up a pair and send em to ya.

12. Junk

Junk

Thanks for the info, the PM and the offer. Will look for them around here first and will let you know if I can't find 'em. Thanks again.

Oh, sorry to see you got stuck with a white rig. :flipoff2: :D :D :D :D

13. Shortbus

Shortbus

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=9688;start=msg85911#msg85911 date=1073443111]
    Thanks for the info, the PM and the offer. Will look for them around here first and will let you know if I can't find 'em. Thanks again.

Oh, sorry to see you got stuck with a white rig. :flipoff2: :D :D :D :D
    [/quote]

Yer welcome.....

Oh, and not only is it White, it doesn't have hubs. Dumb newbs.... Guess I shoulda read the forum first huh!?! White is right baby! :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

14. Beowulf

Beowulf

>> it doesn't have hubs. <<

Wanna bet?

-B-

15. Shortbus

Shortbus

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=9688;start=msg85938#msg85938 date=1073445505]

>> it doesn't have hubs. <<

Wanna bet?

-B-
    [/quote]

Wud be a bit funny with NO hubs at all wouldn't it.... :slap:

16. Junk

Junk

Actually, I kind of enjoy watching her hubs bounce like that. :flipoff2:

17. LandCrusher'70

LandCrusher'70

Two year old thread!

Going way back on this one.

I upgraded my weak a$$ horn by using my FJ40's original horns.

Price = $0.
    Time = 2 minutes.
    Job = 1/4 :banana:.

My LC went from sounding like a Corolla to a truck. Nice and loud.

18. Silicon 70

Silicon 70

You have part numbers for them?

19. 98 SNAKE EATER

98 SNAKE EATER

PEP Boys = weaksauce ;p

Go Big or Go home ;)

[​IMG]

20. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

Google "Hella Horn" ...he probably has forgotten in the last 3 years.