Horn Not Working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tried to use the horn the other day when a lady was backing up without looking. Nothing sounded. Ended up using the old shouting method.

What could go bad on these cruisers? I know the previous owner had an alarm that he said he disabled, not sure if that affected the horn. I looked at the fuse for horn but its not your normal fuse where I can tell if it was blown or not.

Any trouble shooting tips?

TIA

Fuses are cheap. If you suspect it's the fuse just replace it and see what happens.

Looking at this another way - the factory horn sucks. A pair (lo/hi) of freeway blasters from carparts.com will run you around 20 bucks shipped.

I pulled the fuse which had a part number of 90987-01003. Called up American Toyota and mud price is $30. Just wanted to make sure that its the fuse before I spend the $30

I pulled the fuse which had a part number of 90987-01003. Called up American Toyota and mud price is $30. Just wanted to make sure that its the fuse before I spend the $30
Howdy! That price sounds more like a relay than a fuse. John

My horn on my 97 is not working as well. Can anyone give some troubleshooting advice? I need it to work so I can pass inspection. Any help is much appreciated.

Maybe this :flipoff2: finger will work. For anyone who may have fixed a horn that did'nt work, any advice is appreciated.

Mine worked and then I tried to replace them with the Fiamm 74100 like on mud here but I couldn't get it to work and so I tried to put the old horns back they didn't work either.

The horn is probably the most simple circuit in the truck. The 15A Haz-Horn fuse supplies constant power to both the coil side and the switched side of the horn relay. The other side of the coil in the horn relay runs to the horn switch (steering wheel centre pad/airbag). When you push the horn switch, it closes, completing the circuit by grounding the coil side. This closes the relay, supplying current to the horns, which are grounded to the body.

Troubleshooting
1: Do your turn signals/hazard lights work? If so, the fuse is good.
2: Do you hear the horn relay click when someone presses the horn switch? If so, the problem is between the switched side of the relay and the horns (see 3a). If not, the problem is between the fuse, the coil side of the relay, and the horn switch (see 3b).
3a: Disconnect the wire from the horns. Do you get 12V when the horn switch is pressed? If so, the horns are bad (rare) or they have a bad ground. Unbolt the horns, test them directly on the battery. If they work, clean up the brackets/bolts and ensure a good ground. If you don't get 12V, it's time to start tracing the wire back from the horns and looking for a break (rare).
3b: Pull the relay. Do you have 12V at two of the terminals (power supply for the coil and switched sides), ground at another when the horn switch is pressed (triggers the relay coil), and resistance on the fourth (power wire to the horns)? If one of these is bad, it's time to start tracing wires and looking for the break.

Hope that helps! :cheers:

Using your fingers in this part of the country (AZ) will get you shot at.

The metal plunger must be in contact with the metal ring on the backside of the steering wheel to maintain the electrical connection for the horn to work when it is pressed. The plunger had worn down far enough on mine and it was no longer making contact when trying to honk. The metal is brass so you can get a sleeve to fit the plunger and make it the right height again.

everytime I've come accross a horn issue it's been the ground at the horns. A singe wire supplies 12vdc and the ground is gotten through the housing. So remove the horns and clean the housings where they touch the bracket, clean the bracket where they touch the horns and the frame and finally clean the frame.

Well i just sorted out my horn issues on the weekend and what i found was the ground which is connected to a 30a fuse on my hdj-81 was totally corroded and wasn't connecting to the relay any more. I pull the cube and found that the contacts were also really bad so i cleaned them up with an emry cloth, crimped on new stak on's and around 20 cents later i have a horn. so i agree on the grounding issue. If you engage the horn and your relay is clicking its your ground, get a buddy to honk it and put your hand on it youll hear and feel it close. Good luck.

Doesn't Hella make a good repalcement horn that is a little more robust when applied? Kind jojf tired of the smirk on folks faces when the big bad land cruiser blast it's whimpy beep! beep! horn. Just a curious.

Hella Supertones are supposed to be pretty loud (they're a favourite in the local Subaru club here). I have a pair of Fiamm Freeway Blasters with no complaints.

You can see mine in this shot
P1010117.JPG

They were a lot cheaper than the Hellas ($30 vs $90 or so) and produce a loud and definitive blast. I've read some stuff on the interwebs that said the Fiamms are slightly louder than the Hellas (130 vs 125 db or so), but who knows. I like to honk at stupid people on the road sometimes, and the Fiamms work great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom