Rear Door lock mechanism not working - manually or otherwise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1996 80. Just noticed the PS rear door isn’t locking. Figured usual actuator motor issues. Upon inspection, noticed that lock/unlock with fob or front PS door key DOES actuate PS rear, but it can’t move.

When I manually try to live the lock lever, there is significant resistance. Door card off and everything looks correct. I was hoping for an easy rod-bind or plastic connector broken … but no luck.

Thoughts before I completely remove vapor barrier and start pulling lock mechanism out?

Thanks!

1996 80. Just noticed the PS rear door isn’t locking. Figured usual actuator motor issues. Upon inspection, noticed that lock/unlock with fob or front PS door key DOES actuate PS rear, but it can’t move.

When I manually try to live the lock lever, there is significant resistance. Door card off and everything looks correct. I was hoping for an easy rod-bind or plastic connector broken … but no luck.

Thoughts before I completely remove vapor barrier and start pulling lock mechanism out?

Thanks!
Wish I had a helpful solution but alas I do not. My (96) driver side passenger door would not lock with either the key, fob or manually using the driver master door switch. Assuming the actuator, I replaced that. Still doesn’t work. I can UNLOCK all doors using the key, fob or master driver lock switch but can only lock the door in question by using the manual switch on that door.

May be that the latch mechanism is guncked up, sized due to parts failure or something. If this is the case, the actuator rods will bow and not have enough throw to actuate. I would manually reach in and actuate the latch. Then after the door is open, remove, inspect, clean, lube and or replace the latch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom