Hoping for opinions on model year (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dogs are all I’ve driven since living in Colorado, I bet I don’t even notice. The sport shifting is what saves our Subaru on the hills, is this on any of the 100s?
Cruiser has a PWR ''power" button that slightly modifies the shift points.

I actually enjoy driving my 4spd cruiser over Monarch vs. my wife's Outback with CV trans. Sure passing on the uphill is a challenge, but it doesn't seem to hunt for a gear near as much as the subi does (yes I realize the subi doesn't have 'gears').

Cruiser has a PWR ''power" button that slightly modifies the shift points.

I actually enjoy driving my 4spd cruiser over Monarch vs. my wife's Outback with CV trans. Sure passing on the uphill is a challenge, but it doesn't seem to hunt for a gear near as much as the subi does (yes I realize the subi doesn't have 'gears').

Good to hear! That’s our ski hill so lots of trips up Monarch. Do you live around here?

Good to hear! That’s our ski hill so lots of trips up Monarch. Do you live around here?
Lived in Vail for a short while but am a flatlander from Kansas. I do spend A LOT of time around Salida since I have family there and I have been exploring the high county backroads since '99.

Dogs are all I’ve driven since living in Colorado, I bet I don’t even notice. The sport shifting is what saves our Subaru on the hills, is this on any of the 100s?
"Sport drive" not sure what that is. We've "power button" which I don't use much. In hills I use the over drive (OD OFF) button the most to gear down.

Last edited:

No 'sport shift' feature in the 100. You can manually shift through the range but not like the push forward/backward to up or down shift of the sport shift in many other vehicles.

Are you talking about paddle shifters?

Are you talking about paddle shifters?

No just the ability to shift “manually” through the gears so the tranny isn’t searching around for a gear when climbing a pass. The auto trans thing is a big downer for the LCs since I’ve never owned an auto for my own DD, but life is about compromise!

This may sound funny or strange, but my favorite year range is based on steering wheel preference and also a preference for older type things.

For the steering wheel, we had a 2004 Toyota Sienna for 9.5 years and now a 2010 Sienna for several more years. Both have the same boring and uncomfortable to grip steering wheel. Low and behold the 2003 through 2007 Land Cruiser have this same steering wheel! I've stared at and used that steering wheel so many years in the Sienna that I just can't stand it anymore! But 2002 and earlier are pleasantly different and seem to be a bit more comfortable to grip! :)

Last edited:
My two cents, Ive looked at toyota trucks for a long time and wanted a new 4runner due to resell value I couldnt convince myself to pay so much for high mileage vehicles. Finally gave in and bought a 99 LX with 260k on it for a decent price given condition and I couldnt be happier with the truck AHC is an awesome system handles the mountain roads very well and is comfortable and capable that said, I want to sell for a 03+ the 5speed trans would be nice and atrac a life saver since the LSD doesnt work very well anymore. Regardless Ive been an auto tech for over 12 years and buying a truck with that kinda mileage was difficult for me but I do not regret it one bit. Its unbelievable how well made they are and how they can hold up. So if youre set on a 100 dont be afraid of mileage try to obtain maintenance records threw carfax and have (if youre not) someone who knows what to look for before you purchase. It comes down to money in the end, if you dont want the nav and dont intend to lock a LX find a lc with a locker.

Hey all! Lurked on the forum for longer than I’d like to admit so this is my first post. I’ll be due for a vehicle upgrade in the next year or so and being where I live (central Colorado on the continental divide), my family’s outdoor bent, and my tiny town erasing concerns of poor fuel efficiency I’ve zeroed in on a Cruiser. I’ll admit I was on the Taco train for a while, but if I’m honest we need the interior space for 2 adults, 2 kids, and 2 canine critters more than a truck bed. Doesn’t hurt that we have a great local shop (Classic Cruisers) and a friend who wrenches there either.

So the wife has approved and I’ve been watching all the usual suspects for vehicles for sale. I have read extensively on the forums here about the trade-offs of the different series and model years and have pretty definitively settled on the 100s. Probably won’t do much rock crawling or “wheeling”, more exploring all the fantastic wikderness that are within a few hours to camp, mountain bike, fish, etc not to mention road trips with highway miles and if the fam likes it some extended overland style treks. If I could drive something like Tin Cup Pass with confidence that would be sufficient I think. The truck will be my daily driver, but I drive less than a mile to work and only in the coldest months. It seems the hundred has the balance of road manners, size, offroad capability, and safety that I seek.

My sense of the model years from reading here is that the factors involved are safety features, car seat mounting points, ATRAC v locker, and of course just the newer and lower mileage factor. My guess based on how I’ll use the truck is 01 or beyond is what I’m after, but I’d love some input from y’all with more than arm chair experience. I don’t think I need a locker, and the safer the better. What is the big deal with the nav units? Also I’m looking primarily at non-AHC vehicles since that seems like an unnecessary liability. How do the brakes differ among the early 2000 model years?

Am I thinking right? If not set me straight! So looking forward to getting the truck and contributing more to this community.
Welcome! My personal opinion is the 99 LC is my favorite (of course I have one) :). You get the rear locker and first year of back seat air conditioning for the kids! I like the more manly less plush interior of the early 100's. I am old school on the suspension and don't want to fool with AHC. just 1 man's preference here. You can't really go wrong with any year 100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom