Hood Blackout Panel Group Buy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Has anyone actually taped off and used the dreaded plastidip? Some of the newer iterations of this stuff are actually pretty durable and usable. Just a thought

^^ The tape left a ragged edge with the plastidip when I did it. Then I had to remove the mess it made.
Maybe someone else has had better luck.

I tried Plasti Dip and had the same results as @Keowee. I think, if done professionally - with a spray gun, laying down a lot of material in one coat, then removing the tape while the 'dip is still wet - it could work.

But, with Crawlorado's decal now an option, the pro 'dip route seems less attractive.

Is it an option? I thought we were still waiting on an update for how to get in on the second batch

Has anyone actually taped off and used the dreaded plastidip? Some of the newer iterations of this stuff are actually pretty durable and usable. Just a thought

Trick is to pull the tape off slowly while it is still wet. Lay a thicker coat on the edges and as soon as you stop spraying...peel off the tape for a sharp line.

Plastidip is not a good solution for off-road vehicles- it captures and holds dust, scrapes scuffs easily and the results look low budget-

Vinyl applied properly should last several years (on the hood anyway)

I contacted Trevor and he agreed to do another run of 100 series - who is in?

IN

In for one

Since some have asked, here's what 5 coats of plastidip looks like after 2.5years and 35k miles. I'll also point out a few things you can see in the photos.

The uneven look is due to coats 1-3 being done outdoors in partly cloudy weather. The sun came out and heated up the hood causing the paint to partially dry and develop texture right out of the can. Coats 4 and 5 were done in the garage in an attempt to fix. Not unhappy with the results so it stayed on. Would remove hood and paint in garage or in the shade on a 70 degree day if had to do again.

As some have noted, there's a possibility for a ragged edge when removing if you do not pull the tape when the edge is wet. I've taken a close up and you can note two things 1) the edge is quite clean and 2) there's a bit of a glossy effect on the edge. Removal when wet is a must for clean lines. The glossy look is because my last paint can gummed up on me and would not spray no matter how many nozzles I swapped out. I had to use the only plastidip product I had left, called Glossifier, to finish the job. Otherwise, all 5 coats would have been for not.

Removing this stuff is a bit like peeling badly sun burned skin. It comes off in one whole sheet if you put on enough coats. If you don't use enough coats, removal will be a nightmare.

I would be all in for a vinyl panel if it were cut to match the lines of the grill. I just prefer the look and coverage I've got going with my hood.

IMG_0190.JPG

IMG_0191.JPG

I am in!

In as well...

are they all black or is there an option for matte dark grey?

It's worth asking Trevor if he could run a different color. But, the "black" is really a matte dark grey - as black with zero gloss becomes grey.

What's the price on GB Round 2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom