Home HVAC - You Need to Know... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This information is mostly for folks in AZ since we have to fight the heat of summer and stay cool until mother nature allows us to play outside again.

Jan 2014 I did a preventative replacement of my rooftop packaged AC unit. The original unit was 20 years old and really held up pretty well for being a tract home unit.

I received (3) quotes from AC companies with good track records on Angie's list, and picked the best unit I could afford. I wound up with a Trane 3.5 Ton 14+ sear unit. I thought I had done well.

Fast forward to today... I think last night was my 7th or 8th service call on the unit since Jan 2014. Unit seemed to stop heating (in the winter) and cooling (in the summer) for no apparent reason.

I paid for an extended parts/labor warranty with the AC company who was subsequently purchased by Patrick Riley about a year ago. While prompt, every service call required some level of convincing that I had a parts/labor warranty. To their credit they always sent a tech promptly (about an hour) and got the AC working on each visit.

The last two visits 9/1 & 9/4 were due to an overheating compressor. The first visit resulted in a $150 charge for diagnostic, service and replacement of a contact switch. Last nights visit was FAR more expensive at $411 to install a $50 start capacitor (called a hard start capacitor/compressor saver).

https://www.amazon.com/Compressor-Saver-Start-Capacitor-Model/dp/B003FNL0EY

41M3iMZUltL.jpg

So far today the unit is working well, which it should being that it is virtually BRAND NEW! My service tab for this unit (since new) is now at $561. Pretty crappy for a brand new unit with parts/labor warranty. They also said that they WOULD NOT replace the compressor (if at fault) until I installed one of these.

Last night's tech was a good dude and seemed forthright/legit. He said that my compressor would fail to start because it was pulling too many amps. It would stop, overheat and then continue to stay hot (180 degrees plus) preventing the AC from restarting.

So here is my advise... If you have similar issues, or are planning to replace your packaged unit, have that stupid $50 part installed when the unit goes in. I cannot believe they do not recommend that capacitor on every install. Just seems like common sense if it is the silver bullet.

I am sure if I had known more about it I could have had a licensed electrician install it for half the cost. But since it was 9PM at night, and 85+ degrees inside the house, I was basically held ransom and extorted.

Passing this lesson on so others can learn from my experience...

This information is mostly for folks in AZ since we have to fight the heat of summer and stay cool until mother nature allows us to play outside again.

Jan 2014 I did a preventative replacement of my rooftop packaged AC unit. The original unit was 20 years old and really held up pretty well for being a tract home unit.

I received (3) quotes from AC companies with good track records on Angie's list, and picked the best unit I could afford. I wound up with a Trane 3.5 Ton 14+ sear unit. I thought I had done well.

Fast forward to today... I think last night was my 7th or 8th service call on the unit since Jan 2014. Unit seemed to stop heating (in the winter) and cooling (in the summer) for no apparent reason.

I paid for an extended parts/labor warranty with the AC company who was subsequently purchased by Patrick Riley about a year ago. While prompt, every service call required some level of convincing that I had a parts/labor warranty. To their credit they always sent a tech promptly (about an hour) and got the AC working on each visit.

The last two visits 9/1 & 9/4 were due to an overheating compressor. The first visit resulted in a $150 charge for diagnostic, service and replacement of a contact switch. Last nights visit was FAR more expensive at $411 to install a $50 start capacitor (called a hard start capacitor/compressor saver).

https://www.amazon.com/Compressor-Saver-Start-Capacitor-Model/dp/B003FNL0EY

41M3iMZUltL.jpg

So far today the unit is working well, which it should being that it is virtually BRAND NEW! My service tab for this unit (since new) is now at $561. Pretty crappy for a brand new unit with parts/labor warranty. They also said that they WOULD NOT replace the compressor (if at fault) until I installed one of these.

Last night's tech was a good dude and seemed forthright/legit. He said that my compressor would fail to start because it was pulling too many amps. It would stop, overheat and then continue to stay hot (180 degrees plus) preventing the AC from restarting.

So here is my advise... If you have similar issues, or are planning to replace your packaged unit, have that stupid $50 part installed when the unit goes in. I cannot believe they do not recommend that capacitor on every install. Just seems like common sense if it is the silver bullet.

I am sure if I had known more about it I could have had a licensed electrician install it for half the cost. But since it was 9PM at night, and 85+ degrees inside the house, I was basically held ransom and extorted.

Passing this lesson on so others can learn from my experience...

Those hard start capacitors are a pretty common "fix", had one installed on my old AC unit and it got me through a couple more years. I would be concerned that you relaticvely new unit is already needing this help.

I thought in most cases those capacitors are standard. Reading your situation, I was kind of surprised to learn that one was installed and was not there to begin with.

Many AC contractors that have your best interest install Hard start kits from the beginning.

With all the glowing reviews from our own CSC High Caliber Air Im surprised you would ask a pay to get your name at the top service like Angies List for a reference.

Many AC contractors that have your best interest install Hard start kits from the beginning.

With all the glowing reviews from our own CSC High Caliber Air Im surprised you would ask a pay to get your name at the top service like Angies List for a reference.
Wasn't even aware of High Caliber Air. Who is that?

now that you mention it, yes, I remember him posting that :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom