Holidays Wheelin? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nope, I'm Ross :).

I talked to Alvin last night. My only thing is from the FJ area I have to leave early and need to be able to hit asphalt by 1-2pm or my wife would kill me. He also mentioned that he might want to run C-Gap so he doesn't lead anyone astray.

I have a unlocked 80 on 33's, no sliders or other protection.

Unlocked and no sliders on Upper Ajax is a bad idea. Even doing only bypasses, I forsee lots of problems and far longer than a 4-5 hour trip.

I don't know what Lower Ajax is like now....used to be doable by a rig set up like yours. ToolsRUs said it's worse now.....not sure how bad it is since I haven't been out there in so long.

To be completely honest, I'm not even sure you could make the bypass to Lower Woodpecker's hardest 100 yard long section. It's a pretty steep climb and while I've seen lots of open diffs make it, I've also seen one break an axle trying. The good news is you can easily go around this on the road....but you have to back track up the wash a 1/4 mile or less to get to Cottonwood Canyon road again.

I dunno....not sure what other options are out in FJ besides Box, Jackhandle, and Marintez Cabins that would be doable for an open diff'd 80, especially with the time constraint.

Ross, where are you from?? I forgot to check before I started typing here. Any chance we'd want to tag along on the Hackberry Creek run (if that's what the other group picks)? You may have to bail early (unless we all move along at a pretty good clip) and I don't know if Superior is too far away from ya. Just a thought.

***EDIT*** You're from Tucson.....not sure if that's a LOT farther than going to FJ or not....I'm guessing it is, but I guess it all depends on which highway you take.

***EDIT2***Just re-read your post and it looks like you guys are thinking C-Gap tomorrow anyway. That's fine, just let me know as soon as you can. If I don't go with you guys, I think I have a line on a Highway to Hell run.

Sean

I'm Carl. Youve seen me at Sonic with the yellow FJC. It does fairly well, but I gauge what I get it into. Biggest limitation is probably the IFS. I'm still getting to learn its capabilites as well as honing my skills.:bounce:

"A-TRAC hack" enables the ABS driven traction control to operate in stnc with the rear locker. In stock config for the 1st 8 mos of production these was not the set up.:censor: It is rumored to be on all FJC's built since Nov '06. :idea:

You're correct on the Basha's location, its convenient and we usually pick up lunch there before we head out. I try to shpw up by 08:30 and pull out by 09:00 - I'm in a time zone about 10 minute behind most tho...:whoops:

Cannel 4 seems to be the3 norm;)

I guess I'm a little confused. Who's planning to go to FJ on Sunday and what trail are they planning to run?

So far as I can tell, Alvin and Ross may or may not go, and it sounds like Carl is planning on it. Is there anyone else and if so, what trail is planned?

Thanks,
Sean

Some of us are also going to be out that way on Sunday, but probably slightly east of FJ, burned out on FJ and will be there for AZ Rocks. Will meet at Basha's at 9:00 and run something like, Alamo Canyon, Telegraph Canyon or Hackberry, to be decided on the trail tomorrow.

Sean/Kevin - I think I may have cornfused expeditions - I think I'm gonna follow Kevin and the Germans. Basha's 08:30ish (I have to say that to make 09:00...

Carl

Some of us are also going to be out that way on Sunday, but probably slightly east of FJ, burned out on FJ and will be there for AZ Rocks. Will meet at Basha's at 9:00 and run something like, Alamo Canyon, Telegraph Canyon or Hackberry, to be decided on the trail tomorrow.

I'm in for this. Could you give me one of your magic maps showing the Basha's please? Maybe a street intersection, or at least a city?

-Spike

Sean/Kevin - I think I may have cornfused expeditions - I think I'm gonna follow Kevin and the Germans. Basha's 08:30ish (I have to say that to make 09:00...

Carl

Okay Carl....that clears things up a bit. Thanks. :) Now I just need to know if Alvin and Ross are coming to FJ or just staying down in Tucson.

Sean

Okay Carl....that clears things up a bit. Thanks. :) Now I just need to know if Alvin and Ross are coming to FJ or just staying down in Tucson.

Sean

Looks like Ross and I will be pre-running C-gap. That gives us the most time to wheel because of his timing. Last time I went thru was spring and I want to check the trail out before I lead the group thru next week.

I'm runnin sliders and a xfer skid and custom front bumper, but Ross is still unlocked and unarmored so Ajax or Woodpecker could hurt a bit. The only time I ran the Martinez loop was open and no armor, made it thru with only a couple rocker dings. That run was the one that convinced me to get locked and sliders.

Merry Christmas all!

Cool. Thanks for letting me know. I just finished installing my new upper springs....and wouldn't you know it....they ain't right either. Now I have to decide if I wanna try these out for the spring rate or take it all back apart and put the old ones in until I can get longer ones.

A bit of advice for anybody contemplating coilovers from PolyPerformance. Dave is the one you wanna talk to.

Sean

Last edited:
I'm in for this. Could you give me one of your magic maps showing the Basha's please? Maybe a street intersection, or at least a city?

-Spike

Spike - no map, but directions are easy. Head East on 60 past the end of the freeway towards Gold Canyon. You'll go approximately 3 miles (my best guess) thru 3 stoplights (I think) to a left turn by a shopping center. The closest landmark to the 60 is the Jack-in-the Box. Turn left on Superstition Mtn Dr. and then right in to the shopping center. Basha's is the anchor. If you pass it, you'll see it.

Carl

Last edited:

-Spike

Like this?

Bashas' Supermarket
Superstition Mtn. Dr. & US 60
5310 S. Superstition Mtn. Dr.
Gold Canyon, AZ 85219
Hours: 6 AM - 11 PM
Store: 480-474-9401
Email: store082@bashas.com
fj_meet.jpg

Had a great time on the trail today, toured the mountains between Sycamore Creek and Verde River. It's very nice, clean desert, unbelievable being so close to trashed Sycamore. Had some carnage, Claudia had a bolder jump out in front of her, causing an ouch on the bumper and Michael holed the sidewall on a MTR.

Pic of Claudia doing a Shotts pose:D, the fog and Rob on one of the steps.
12-23-2006_1.jpg
12-23-2006_2.jpg
12-23-2006_3.jpg

Have fun tomorrow guys and take lots of pics! I've never done Alamo or Telegraph Canyon so I'd like to see them.

Looks like I'll be running Highway to Hell tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the invites. :)

Take care and keep the shiny side up. ;)

***EDIT*** Oh, and I'm off until the 7th of January so if anyone wants to do some other runs in the coming weeks, please post up. I may be down a few days sometime in there though b/c I want to put a new style pump on the hydro and dink with the spring rates.

Sean

This was one cool trail ride :grinpimp:
DSC02805.jpg
DSC02823.jpg
DSC02839.jpg

And a few more...
DSC02848.jpg
DSC02857.jpg
DSC02869.jpg

So, what trails did you guys do? 393? Log Corral? Or are those two still on the agenda?

-Spike

Bumper ouch!:frown: :)
DSC02882.jpg
DSC02888.jpg

Holy crap, that's legitimate carnage right there!

-Spike (Note: No jokes about women drivers coming from me! :D I have to drive near her tomorrow. ;) )

So, what trails did you guys do? 393? Log Corral? Or are those two still on the agenda?

-Spike

Those are still on the agenda. We went in at Sugar Loaf, west almost to the Verde, then south, coming out at the gravel place just north of Baja gas station.

Holy crap, that's legitimate carnage right there!

-Spike (Note: No jokes about women drivers coming from me! :D I have to drive near her tomorrow. ;) )

well, the sun was coming down right in my face and we were headed west - need I say more?

that rock was of the genuinely "unseen" quality :D

Damn Claudia!!!! Thats a helluva kiss!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom