Hj75 not starting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any chance of a photo?
I'll post photos later today, I traced everything everywhere yesterday and I do not have a starter relay. I am wondering if the relay is built into the starter maybe? Here is what I have: Cruiser Outfitters 12V Starter Gear Reduction Remanufactured - Aftermarket - Fits 2H/12HT (No Core Charge) (ELEC47080) - https://cruiserteq.com/12v-starter-gear-reduction-remanufactured-aftermarket-fits-2h-12ht-no-core-charge-elec47080/
I ordered a new ignition / starter switch , even though all the tests I ran proved it working.
Still, if I turn the ignition to on and hold a cable from the power / battery cable on the starter to the starter switch cable on the starter she starts right up.

So now my thought was to disconnect the starter switch cable on the starter and add a momentary switch with a relay instead. Then I have a push button car.
Thoughts?

I'll post photos later today, I traced everything everywhere yesterday and I do not have a starter relay. I am wondering if the relay is built into the starter maybe? Here is what I have: Cruiser Outfitters 12V Starter Gear Reduction Remanufactured - Aftermarket - Fits 2H/12HT (No Core Charge) (ELEC47080) - https://cruiserteq.com/12v-starter-gear-reduction-remanufactured-aftermarket-fits-2h-12ht-no-core-charge-elec47080/
I ordered a new ignition / starter switch , even though all the tests I ran proved it working.
Still, if I turn the ignition to on and hold a cable from the power / battery cable on the starter to the starter switch cable on the starter she starts right up.

So now my thought was to disconnect the starter switch cable on the starter and add a momentary switch with a relay instead. Then I have a push button car.
Thoughts?

Very odd that you have a 2H with no Starter Relay. If that is the case then its entirely possible that the ignition switch start position contacts have been taking the brunt of the back EMF from the starter instead of the relay and are damaged. I would be more in favor of a proper fix to the ignition switch if that is the fault than a push button start. A button would be fine as a temporary fix but eventually it will fail - the starter is an inductive load and these are tough on contacts in relays/switches.

Here is the starter relay in the original position. I removed the glow plug relay since I am not using it.

IMG_8166.jpeg

IMG_8165.jpeg

Very odd that you have a 2H with no Starter Relay. If that is the case then its entirely possible that the ignition switch start position contacts have been taking the brunt of the back EMF from the starter instead of the relay and are damaged. I would be more in favor of a proper fix to the ignition switch if that is the fault than a push button start. A button would be fine as a temporary fix but eventually it will fail - the starter is an inductive load and these are tough on contacts in relays/switches.
Thank you for that, I agree! It’s temporary! My whole wiring in this car is a total mess and I need to spend time cleaning it up. Maybe even replacing he it all. Then I’ll install a proper starting system.

Here is the starter relay in the original position. I removed the glow plug relay since I am not using it.

Superb, thanks!

That engine bay looks spectacularly clean, a credit to you.

Thank you for that, I agree! It’s temporary! My whole wiring in this car is a total mess and I need to spend time cleaning it up. Maybe even replacing he it all. Then I’ll install a proper starting system.
Here is the glow plug relay and the passenger side all empty.
She is a 1988 HJ75 LHD from Costa Rica.

IMG_4233.jpeg

IMG_4234.jpeg

Read that your battery is 10%
I truly hope you mean 100% charged. You require a good battery....
Manual or auto?
You can bump start a manual pretty simply.

Read that your battery is 10%
I truly hope you mean 100% charged. You require a good battery....
Manual or auto?
You can bump start a manual pretty simply.
Hahahaha! My mistake. 100% for sure! Manual. I have been bump starting her whenever there is any incline. She starts super easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom