HJ61 - Am I Crazy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CycloSteve

SILVER Star
Threads
A bit of background may help. I lived full-time in France for eight years, still maintain a home there, and spend several weeks a year in-country for business. In the US I have a highly modified 80 series, and the 60 is a rig that I do not know much about.

When over here (in France at present), I often look at the local ads for Cruisers. I would love to find a nice diesel cruiser, but most come up with crazy prices, and way too many KM on the clock.

So, today I see a 1990 HJ61 listed locally with a 5 speed manual, RHD (it may be a 1989 build, but they register the "year" based on when first sold over here). 150k miles, and at a price that I can get selling my Audi over here. Originally it was from the UK, but now FR registered. Being that one thing we like to do when here is go into the mountains, and I hate donning chains, this may be a good opportunity. Plus in less than three years, I could import the truck into the US if I wanted to. I have a place to keep it, and a use for it when I am here.

On the 60 series side of things, what should I look for as potential problems; rust-prone areas, leaks, bits which break commonly, electrics, etc? Any diesel-specific areas to check? I definitely will take a look, and appreciate any help before I do so.

Am I crazy for even considering a RHD 22 year old Cruiser, or is this perhaps a good opportunity to get a unique ride?

:cheers:

Steve

If it has a 12 H-T in it, you ain't crazy (anymore than the rest of us, that is ... )

I'd say go drive it and see if you fall in love with it...

If you like it, crawl under with a screwdriver and try to stab it through the rear frame especially around the spring perches. Also check rear wheelwells and quarter panels for rust. Rust is the nightmare, most mechanical stuff can be replaced. The nice thing about these trucks is if they start up nicely when cold, and don't pop out of gear when driving (accelerate and decelerate vigorously in each gear) they are probably worthy of a closer look.

You are eyeing up THE dream 60 series truck for a lot of people on this site.

Post in in the diesel section for more specific diesel questions.

12H-T and H55F already confirmed. Hell, if the body was toast, I could yank the drivetrain, ship it and put it into a donor rig stateside. Nice combo of motor/trans from what I have read so far.

Have posted a cross-reference in Diesel, specifically on the motor.

Steve

Factory Cable lockers?

You'd be crazy NOT to buy it ....

I'd never buy a RHD to drive in a LHD country but that's just personal preference. If it doesn't bother you then go for it.

Last edited:
12H-T and H55F already confirmed. Hell, if the body was toast, I could yank the drivetrain, ship it and put it into a donor rig stateside. Nice combo of motor/trans from what I have read so far.

Have posted a cross-reference in Diesel, specifically on the motor.

Steve

You say it's pricey for the truck over there??... heck just import a 1HD-FT and trans and install in a rust free US rig.

at 150k miles it is really fresh engine, no fear of busted piston rings at that mileage... just check the usual, starts well when cold, no excess smoke, oil doesnt disappear/appear and you're good to go...

HDJ80s are quite common in the UK, and likely in France. Unless you're in love with the 60 body style, get the better motor with an 80 attached. Not knocking the 12H-T, but the HD-T (-FT, -FTE) is a significantly better motor, and the 12H-T had a much shorter production run.

Update from the owner. No cable-lockers, damn. Rust on the wheel arches and below doors. Can't see it until the weekend as they are out of town. I have asked for pictures. It also has some sort of lift installed by the PO. As I said if it is really shot in the body, I would consider pulling all the drivetrain and sending back to the US for a transplant into a nice rust-free west-coast LHD 60 or perhaps a 40 or 45...plenty of options there.

Would love to have an 80 with the 5 speed and 1HD-FT, but they go for 3 to 4x the price of the 60's with the same or even MORE mileage. Have to wait for the prices to drop, and their age to get closer to the magic 25 year importation window. Plus, I am liking the simplicity of the 60's for some reason; I already have an 80 with all of its' doo-dads.

Steve

Well the cable lockers would be gravy, but just the drive-train alone is worth it, for the right price.

Plus you'll get that sweeeet diesel emblem from the front grill :D

Good luck!

One thing to keep in mind if this is a JDM HJ61 is that it will be 24V, so if you are pulling the engine to do a swap there is a bunch of 24V related parts your want to pull out of it as well or spend the time and money getting all the parts you need in 12v from OZ.

When you are in France / Europe why not try
http://forum.buschtaxi.org
This is the biggest European Site for Land Cruiser and all Toyota 4x4s.
I don't know a member from France there but some are from Belgium, Netherlands, Spain and Switzerland which might be close to your location; the site itself is based in Germany.

There is also a market place for vehicles and parts and German dealers.

And yes: the biggest problem there is under chassis rust and the lower part of the doors; and the old 60s don't like too fast Autobahn driving above 120km/h (tranny, TC & third member). The 12H-T with its torque is really a challenge for the H55F tranny and the TC.

Last edited:
Having 1HD-T as DD and 2H-TI for offroad .. I would tell you 12H-T it's just an amazing engine and I believe Toyota made such short run of it coz they knew that was one of your life time engine .. with plenty of power and possibilities .. living in a world that would have same amount of parts and resources for 12H-T as we have for 1HD-T I'll take the 12H-T over 1HD-T any day of my life ..

Been said that .. would be fantastic drive train to put in any fresh 60 body ..

Steve

The price of these has been rising for some time,good 12HT are almost unobtainable in oz and will set you back $7000-8000 for something with 400000 klms.
Thats what I would do,take the engine and gearbox back to the US and install it into the best 62 you can find.
And stockpile all the spare parts and accessories that came with the HJ61 ,lockers ,full floaters etc you can lay your hands on.
You will have a landcruiser that others will drool over.

I bought a HJ61 in 2007 for $2000 , a little rusty but only had 290000klm on the engine and 170000klms on the gearbox(replaced by Toyota under warranty according to the service book).
Sold it for $4000 and did a little dance over my $2000 profit,now I kick myself every time one drives past.

UK 61'er

I bought my HJ61 about a year ago for some travelling and I got mine for about the same price as a leggy 80 here in the UK, but it had practically no rust (specks only) and about 120k miles on the clock. It's a fab truck and so far has taken me to Morocco and Iran without any problems, mine's an '88 which has had a lot of care from the PO. When I looked into importing one directly from Japan I was told that it would be "more than £4,000", which I took to be £4k - £5k which I would have thought was an attractive way to get hold of one if you're keen. It would be rust free for a start.

The price of these has been rising for some time,good 12HT are almost unobtainable in oz and will set you back $7000-8000 for something with 400000 klms.
You need to look a whole lot harder wreckers ask $5500 and sell for a hell of a lot less,with a lot less klms

Having 1HD-T as DD and 2H-TI for offroad .. I would tell you 12H-T it's just an amazing engine and I believe Toyota made such short run of it coz they knew that was one of your life time engine .. with plenty of power and possibilities .. living in a world that would have same amount of parts and resources for 12H-T as we have for 1HD-T I'll take the 12H-T over 1HD-T any day of my life ..

Been said that .. would be fantastic drive train to put in any fresh 60 body ..

+1 12HT all the way. If there is anything I can fault the motor for it would be the sensitive throttle.

You need to look a whole lot harder wreckers ask $5500 and sell for a **** of a lot less,with a lot less klms

Oh Stockhorse I think that Rosco was talking about a complete HJ61 and maybe you might be talking about just the engine?

If the price makes sense, sending it stateside as a half cut loaded with extra parts(axles, drive shafts, electrical components) won't be too costly. Look for partial container load consolidators to quote you for shipping to your designated port.

Some consolidators also offer inter-modal transport logistics, so you won't have to quarterback the transport door to door nearly as much.

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom