Hj47 Speedometer repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

Yesterday I finally got my hands on my first Cruiser a 1981 Hj47 Troopy. The guy I bought it off let me know the Speedometer was not working when I purchased it so that was the first thing I decided to tackle. When replacing the speedometer cable I plugged both sides into the Transfer case and the back of the Gauge cluster, however, this didn't fix the issue. I tried using the drill method of spinning the cable from the point where it attaches to the Transfer case and I found that some of the time when I was spinning the drill/cable the speedometer was working as normal, increasing and decreasing with the speed of the drill. However, most of the time it was completely dead with the needle not moving at all while the drill was being spun. what do you guys think the issue is? I believe it may be the gauge cluster itself. are there any telltale signs that the speedometer cluster would be defective?

Thanks for your input guys!

I think the grease the lubes the internal working of the gauge has dried out and not allowing things to spin. Do a search for rebuilding the odometer and the information there should help you get things working.

I think the grease the lubes the internal working of the gauge has dried out and not allowing things to spin. Do a search for rebuilding the odometer and the information there should help you get things working.
I'm going to have another look in the morning. come to think of it the speedo seemed to make a "winding" noise when moved with the drill which would make sense that maybe it's not properly lubed and sometimes seizing. thanks for the suggestion. will update tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom