HJ47 Origin Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings, friends! I’m the owner of a new (to me) 1981 HJ47 RHD. Just drove it 600 miles with no problems! Are there any forums specific to HJ47s? Also, anyone know what market this vehicle was made for? Japan, Australia, Europe? VIN: HJ47012130.

Many thanks!

Ian

Greetings, friends! I’m the owner of a new (to me) 1981 HJ47 RHD. Just drove it 600 miles with no problems! Are there any forums specific to HJ47s? Also, anyone know what market this vehicle was made for? Japan, Australia, Europe? VIN: HJ47012130.

Many thanks!

Ian
Welcome.
It’ll be on the build tag. Also, if it has an ADR tag on it (passenger inner fender on mine) it was for Aussie market.
You’ll find solace in the 45 forum, the diesel forum and in the 40 forum.
Not really enough 47’s to warrant their own section 😉

Cheers
Crusty

Many thanks!

Ian
Wow I’m jealous! The 47 is the ultimate 40 series in my opinion. You should share some pictures! Perhaps they could help. A lot of Japanese cars (not all) had mirrors mounted on the fenders, and a lot of Australian trucks have bull bars, but many Aussie trucks are stock too. Whatever modifications it might have may give away the country of origin, as different locations have different styles they give trucks. Some trucks are missing their tag, but Aussie and Japanese trucks are usually well kept somewhat. The tag should tell you, but if not, you could probably guess based on modifications. I will say, (assuming you are in the USA) more cars are imported from Japan (as it is more popular and the process is extremely refined) than Australia. I haven’t heard of a lot of Australian imports, but it can happen. Most imports for forties are from central and South America, but if the car has all the features and is well restored and kept, chances are it isn’t a South American cruiser. Upload some pictures and we could help you out further! (Ill include an image of South American countries with RHD cars. RHD countries in orange, includes some islands)

802A7BCE-2A75-4158-9F07-4FD9FA10B56A.jpeg

Last edited:
Personality think there are more Australian market HJ47RV in the US than directly from the JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) troopies. Mid wheel base RHD mostly come from the JDM.

Personality think there are more Australian market HJ47RV in the US than directly from the JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) troopies. Mid wheel base RHD mostly come from the JDM.
I would say ranking goes 1. South American troopys, then JDM and Australian ones tied for 2. I haven’t seen much talk about imported Australian troopys into America from Australia. Only troopys in Australia.

I would say ranking goes 1. South American troopys, then JDM and Australian ones tied for 2. I haven’t seen much talk about imported Australian troopys into America from Australia. Only troopys in Australia.

Not sure I have ever seen a RHD imported from South America. Certainly not enough to be the number one RHD troopy imported here. Would be surprised if the OP has one from there. I have seen plenty of Australian troopies here in the states posted here on mud over the years. 2015 had an 84 HJ47RV from Australia (had the AU tag on the firewall) end up in a wrecking yard 10 miles away. Not sure I have ever seen a H or 2H in a 40 series imported from Japan. They seem to like the B engine mid wheel base. Still say Australia is where most the RHD troopies that are imported here. That was by far Toyota's largest market for the 40 series. Long wheel base 40 series big part of that.

RHD, 2H troopy?
Best guess is that it’s an Aussie market import.

I’ve heard of a few from Europe, but most of those are LHD and B/F engine. Did the UK even get Troopys?

Middle East? petrol and LHD. Same for South America... petrol and LHD.

No info from the PO? Your build tag is going to give you the info as to what market it was destined for.

cheers
Crusty

I'm also guessing it's Australian. I reckon we probably had the most troopies, especially being RHD and a 2H.
Putting your Vin into Toyota DIY it comes up as either Australian or general market.
If its got a bullbar, a strange snorkle or a dodgy home made roof console then im betting it's Australian.

Europe never got the 2H in a 40. On the 45 in went from H engine to 3B, I'm guessing for fiscal reason on the displacement or something like that.
I think the UK didn't get any 40 series, they started to have Cruisers later.

I'm not sure either the 2H was available in Japan ? At least never seen one (or even any lwb) ?

HJ47 is pretty rare world wide so yes in RHD very probably from Australia that got a lot of them.
It seems they existed in LHD for the Algerian army but good luck finding one.

What tags are under the hood? Scoop on the hood is not OEM for any market. Same with the bumper. Tags with a complete model and possibly a special tag for the market would for help a lot. The tag on the A pillar is not something you would likely on any FJ40 than US market. Other counties may have copied it later.

What’s the decal on the windscreen?
Looks like an Aussie rego decal to me.

Pic of the tags under the bonnet would be helpful.

Thanks for all the input, folks. Here’s a picture of the only tag I can find. Does this help you all with where this beast came from?
203B26C6-690D-4007-A790-51207F9C8C00.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom