HJ45 starts then stops (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have finally got back to this toyota to have another go. it starts and runs for a second or 2 after which it seems to run out of fuel.the control arm from the edic is defintely not connected. I'm thinking about getting an electric fuel pump and connecting that up just to make sure in getting fuel to the ip. any other suggestions?

I think you're on the right track.. You could pull the lift pump off and make sure its not seized.. but either way, a 12V lift pump would confirm it pretty quickly too.

Well there goes that theory.running fuel through a 12 volt fuel pump straight into the ip and same result. runs for a second or 2 and stops.looking like the ip but I don't understand why it will start for a couple of seconds. I see there is a line from an oil gallery in the side of the engine into the ip . would low oil pressure stop it? I know there is a oil pressure connection into the edic system but that has been disconnected.

After it stops... crack the bleeder on the Fuel Filter.. if you dont get a good spurt of diesel immediately when pumping the primer then its been sucking air.

You can gravity feed it from a small container with some clear hose. Have you tried pumping it with the hand primer?

You can gravity feed it from a small container with some clear hose. Have you tried pumping it with the hand primer?
Yeah I tried that. Seems to be getting good fuel supply. not sure what in the ip would be causing the problem but it seems that's where it is

Could the disconnected oil pressure switch wire connector at the EDIC be shorted to ground?
If so, the engine will shut itself off after a few seconds.

Hi - I wonder if the separator which is next to the gas tank could have anything to do
with the dieael fuel not flowing properly. I think your car has one although I don't know
the exact part number for your car.
separator.jpg

The OP has already comfirmed its not a fuel flow problem and most likely in the pump itself.

Do they have a mesh filter where the fuel enters the pump like the rotary 1HZ pumps?

Have you figured anything further out on this?

Do they have a mesh filter where the fuel enters the pump like the rotary 1HZ pumps?
already had a look looks clear. I'm no sure how the governer works. was thinking may e that's shutting the pump down once it senses the engine is running for some reason. it has a couple of vacuum tubes going to the throttle body which is how it senses how much fuel to supply presumably

already had a look looks clear. I'm no sure how the governer works. was thinking may e that's shutting the pump down once it senses the engine is running for some reason. it has a couple of vacuum tubes going to the throttle body which is how it senses how much fuel to supply presumably
almost to the point of giving up and changing complete engine.
Any chance of a video?
Yeah i will when i get back to it . my shed is on a different property

Can you pull the pump and send it to a fuel injection shop and get them to bench test it or get an opinion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom