Stop your whining (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an '84 FJ60 with 1HDT transplant. It has always run extremely well and never had any "turbo whine" whatsoever. I was driving today and part way through a short trip, I noticed that, all of a sudden, I have a very noticeable turbo-whine. When I pop the hood and listen, there is absolutely no whining sound whatsoever, but when I listen at the tail pipe outlet, there is a definite whine, whistle that was never there before.

Previously, when accelerating hard, my indicated boost would read a maximum of 10.5 psi. Now it's indicating a maximum of 8.5 psi. At idle, the boost indicates -0.2 psi, and when cruising at constant speed, the indicated boost is 1.8 to 2.0 psi. I can't say that I notice a difference in performance.

Any ideas why I'm now getting a turbo-whine and slightly lower boost? Is my turbo on the way out? Is this an extremely expensive replacement?

Sounds to me like an exhaust manifold leak or a boost leak. Turbos themselves typically don't make a ton of noise leading up to failure. I'd check for exhaust / boost leaks first. I'd also check the turbo for shaft play. Hope this helps.

Sounds to me like an exhaust manifold leak or a boost leak. Turbos themselves typically don't make a ton of noise leading up to failure. I'd check for exhaust / boost leaks first. I'd also check the turbo for shaft play. Hope this helps.
Thanks much for the input!

Mine was whining from the junction right at the top of the intake manifold. That gasket had failed as evidenced by oil coming out from the joints.

Sounds like you have an exhaust leak though. Exhaust leaks are pretty easy to find by inspecting each joint. Or, you can get crazy and plug the tail pipe and listen for a much louder whistle.

Mine was whining from the junction right at the top of the intake manifold. That gasket had failed as evidenced by oil coming out from the joints.

Sounds like you have an exhaust leak though. Exhaust leaks are pretty easy to find by inspecting each joint. Or, you can get crazy and plug the tail pipe and listen for a much louder whistle.
Thanks for the input.

I have an '84 FJ60 with 1HDT transplant. It has always run extremely well and never had any "turbo whine" whatsoever. I was driving today and part way through a short trip, I noticed that, all of a sudden, I have a very noticeable turbo-whine. When I pop the hood and listen, there is absolutely no whining sound whatsoever, but when I listen at the tail pipe outlet, there is a definite whine, whistle that was never there before.

Previously, when accelerating hard, my indicated boost would read a maximum of 10.5 psi. Now it's indicating a maximum of 8.5 psi. At idle, the boost indicates -0.2 psi, and when cruising at constant speed, the indicated boost is 1.8 to 2.0 psi. I can't say that I notice a difference in performance.

Any ideas why I'm now getting a turbo-whine and slightly lower boost? Is my turbo on the way out? Is this an extremely expensive replacement?
Well, this morning the whining suddenly stopped. I think this is because the turbocharger has frozen-up. This seems to be indicated by my boost gauge going more and more negative the more I accelerate. Instead of running 1.8 to 2.0 psi, it is running -0.5 to -2.0 psi.

Well, this morning the whining suddenly stopped. I think this is because the turbocharger has frozen-up. This seems to be indicated by my boost gauge going more and more negative the more I accelerate. Instead of running 1.8 to 2.0 psi, it is running -0.5 to -2.0 psi.
Is there any harm in driving it the 15 miles to the Landcruiser shop? When driving it home this morning, it didn't feel any different than it ever has. I was just driving on backstreets at no more than 45 mph, no freeway.

Turbos can definitely make a lot of noise when they wear out. I recently helped my brother replace the turbo in his VW TDI and it had 0.056" endplay on the turbine shaft. Prior to replacement you could hear the turbo whine all the way down the street, probably close to 1/4 mile away.

Probably not an issue to drive it 15 miles - but if any loose bits from the turbo are ending up in the engine it can lead to all sorts of rather serious damage. In the mids of a desert you could connect the intake manifold directly to the air filter housing....and with some other modifications just drive natural aspirated...but in your case... if the turbine starts to spin again it would, due to the lack of boost building up, spin the hell out of itself and damage even further.
Tow the truck or put it on a trailer - 15 miles is not far. Better safe than sorry.

Probably not an issue to drive it 15 miles - but if any loose bits from the turbo are ending up in the engine it can lead to all sorts of rather serious damage. In the mids of a desert you could connect the intake manifold directly to the air filter housing....and with some other modifications just drive natural aspirated...but in your case... if the turbine starts to spin again it would, due to the lack of boost building up, spin the hell out of itself and damage even further.
Tow the truck or put it on a trailer - 15 miles is not far. Better safe than sorry.
Thanks for the input; my opinion as well. I have free AAA towing, so tow it I shall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom