HJ 60 2H diesel needs a turbo! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, I have an 1987 HJ60 with the 2H and H55 tranny. I am in the mountains of NM and have been told a turbo is what the Dr ordered. I know nothing about them, but wouldnt mind adding it to help compensate for altitude and fuel mileage. Who has the 2H with an aftermarket turbo and what do you recommend? What kits are out there? For those who have added a turbo do you find it makes a difference or is it money down the drain?
Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Chris

Hey all, I have an 1987 HJ60 with the 2H and H55 tranny. I am in the mountains of NM and have been told a turbo is what the Dr ordered. I know nothing about them, but wouldnt mind adding it to help compensate for altitude and fuel mileage. Who has the 2H with an aftermarket turbo and what do you recommend? What kits are out there? For those who have added a turbo do you find it makes a difference or is it money down the drain?
Chris

Search this section, there is tons of information.
In brief, it is well worth it and a great addition to your trucks. Kits are readily available, the cheapest (and very good quality) is turboglide. You can go home made from scavenged parts and get away cheaper.
cheers,
J

Hi Chris,
Kind of in the same place you are--bought an 86 HJ60 with 2H engine and 5-speed a few months ago--just received the AXT 2H Turbo and intercooler kit for the vehicle-last part arrived 2 days ago.

I had researched a few turbo's and picked this one due to the additional quality features like oil and water cooled turbo features, not just oil cooled. A couple of guys on MUD had had their turboglide do down--not sure why, but made me a bit shy of the product.

So--I don't speak from experience yet--just comparable research; used to be a truck driver so have seen turbo's in diesels and one of the big deals is heat both for power and for the bearings--to much hot air or too hot of oil--both are hard on Turbo's. Met a guy the other day who built his own turbo set-up for his BJ in Canada--worked well for him.

Wish I had mine in--anxious to boost the power 40+ percent--but need to help my son finish his 4Runner engine rebuild in my shop first--so, hopefully in a month or so..

Best wishes in your search-2H is a great work horse!
LCDiesel60

2hpower.gif

2htor.gif

That is old news LOL. But the 12HT motor is capable of a lot more than factory trim, understand that Toyota had to warranty them so they had to be very reliable.

That is old news LOL. But the 12HT motor is capable of a lot more than factory trim, understand that Toyota had to warranty them so they had to be very reliable.

Nice. LOL warranty i see.
but the 2H wont last as long because of the thinner pistons. right ?

H2 Turboed

Hi Guys; I don't often find the time to view this site as often as I would like to but...... On to topic.I put a AXT into my H2 about 6 years ago. I would have to say I have more power, but its still slow. I moved up to 16" wheels and 285 tires, so its hard to say. But better then 15" tires and stock. You can really tell on the up hill. On the flats I gotten to 120 km. Longevity; I've put on over 100,000kmand no problems, on a engine that over 400,000 km on it. I put in 1/2 litre 2 stroke per 150 litres of fuel. I purchased the AXT because of the oil and water (anti-freeze) cooled turbo set up. I am pleased with the product and was able to install it with the help of a mechanical minded friend.

Nice. LOL warranty i see.
but the 2H wont last as long because of the thinner pistons. right ?
Picture454.jpg

My opinion is based on the 2H was designed as an Indirect injected naturally aspirated diesel motor with the head containing narrow galleries and precups that were not designed for force feeding of air.
Forced air creates extra heat.
Where the 12HT was designed from scratch to accept a turbo [try driving without it] it has no precups or small airways like the 2H head as a result the pistons were designed for a turbo and runs a lower compression.
My 2H with a Safari running a T3 spikes at 12 lb and will push the truck with 33x12.5x15s to 140Ks at there revs the egts climb pretty quick. However with a turbo it makes for safer overtaking from 80 to 100ks where it is often not advisable in N.A.Form.
Above 14lb in a hot climate the 2H will not last long but the 12HT because of the direct injection can take a lot more than this and give better fuel consumption.:cool:

Chris
I put the AXT 2H Turbo and intercooler kit on my 1986 HJ60 2H and it made a HUGE difference with the altitude. I live up in Northern NM at about 9k. Did it a few years ago and had it installed by a mechanic in Albuquerque. Hit me up if you want his contact info.

Hi buddy i need his contact ..have a picked a 83 model hj 60 with 2h diesel engine and on the way of restoring it...need help guys??/

I installed a Turboglide kit and it drives better than before the turbo. The best part is I can merge into traffic now on the highway.
Turbo_6.jpg

Here you go! Sorry for the delayed reply.

This guy did my 1986 HJ60 to a full mechanical restoration to include turbo. Massive amounts of research in getting some of the parts. Wasn't a cheap project but I'm pretty sure it will out live me now. Let me know how the project turns out.

Jims Automotive Service
ABQ, NM
505-256-1531
Owner: Jim Maddox

Last edited:
Picture454.jpg

My opinion is based on the 2H was designed as an Indirect injected naturally aspirated diesel motor with the head containing narrow galleries and precups that were not designed for force feeding of air.
Forced air creates extra heat.
Where the 12HT was designed from scratch to accept a turbo [try driving without it] it has no precups or small airways like the 2H head as a result the pistons were designed for a turbo and runs a lower compression.
My 2H with a Safari running a T3 spikes at 12 lb and will push the truck with 33x12.5x15s to 140Ks at there revs the egts climb pretty quick. However with a turbo it makes for safer overtaking from 80 to 100ks where it is often not advisable in N.A.Form.
Above 14lb in a hot climate the 2H will not last long but the 12HT because of the direct injection can take a lot more than this and give better fuel consumption.:cool:
A 12ht has higher compression

Yeah, my mechanic told me that its not really safe installing a turbo to the 2H without like a million calculations. But i always felt that if someone's making specific turbo's for the 2H, i'm sure they've done the calculation. Correct?

A 12ht has higher compression

Ummm, no, turbo designed engines in petrol or diesel will normally have a LOWER compression than their NA cousins of similar size and design.
Toyota H engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Internet Explorer_2015-02-28_10-02-44.png

I ran a AXT turbo kit on my 2H 60 for around 100 thousand k's with 10 pounds of boost. Tuned the fuelling to stay under 550 deg C post turbo EGT and went great.
The only problem was in high ambient temp's you couldn't stop it getting hot on big hills no matter what radiator you had in it!
I put this down to the flaw of indirect injection with large amounts of fuel going in on full boost.
So I Just built a 12ht running same boost and EGT temps and engine temp now doesn't budge at all under the same conditions!

I ran a AXT turbo kit on my 2H 60 for around 100 thousand k's with 10 pounds of boost. Tuned the fuelling to stay under 550 deg C post turbo EGT and went great.
The only problem was in high ambient temp's you couldn't stop it getting hot on big hills no matter what radiator you had in it!
I put this down to the flaw of indirect injection with large amounts of fuel going in on full boost.
So I Just built a 12ht running same boost and EGT temps and engine temp now doesn't budge at all under the same conditions!

What he said ^^^

Everyone has an opinion, mine is don't do it unless you're happy to rebuild....a few times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom