HIHX Bummer Update (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did we ever get a head count, of hard headed folks, that are going to be in Silverton for the second HIH that isn’t?

~6 weeks away, and we’re a little excited, and a little panicked…
+1 I think we need a commemorative sticker. :) HHFHIHII

Did we ever get a head count, of hard headed folks, that are going to be in Silverton for the second HIH that isn’t?

~6 weeks away, and we’re a little excited, and a little panicked…
No official head count but I personally know at least 10 guys going out.

No official head count but I personally know at least 10 guys going out.

I know of at least 25 that say they are going. I have a feeling there will be more. It's gonna be a fun time for sure.

I've said joining on 22-26 but dates changed. Now I have a heard of 3 LC100s, a 4runner and a LX460 on middle of Aug. Y'all enjoy and please share experience, pictures, videos here
1623427798399.png

I've never been to a HIH and didn't know what is was so I had to do a little research on this site. Looks like it was cancelled 2 years in a row for covid, but people still went last year and are going this year and it looks to be a BIG turn out. So why would you want to pay someone 275.00 to do the same thing next year? A couple of raffle tickets and a SWAG bag? Maybe this new format should be the way it is from now on...

I've never been to a HIH and didn't know what is was so I had to do a little research on this site. Looks like it was cancelled 2 years in a row for covid, but people still went last year and are going this year and it looks to be a BIG turn out. So why would you want to pay someone 275.00 to do the same thing next year? A couple of raffle tickets and a SWAG bag? Maybe this new format should be the way it is from now on...

It's wayyyy more than just that. First off, camping is taken care of in an awesome spot in town. A dinner is catered for everyone. The raffle is a huge thing. Amazing odds and lots high $$$ items. Trail leaders and organization of trail rides is huge too.

That's not to mention the atmosphere at camp which is bar none. We've all made tons of friends from around the country and it's just an amazing place to be.

Small offshoots of people camping all over is fun too, but nowhere near the level of what the formal event is.

275 is crazy cheap for all the work these guys put in to make everything work too. It's worth it just for the camp site.

You didn’t have to tell us you have never been. That’s obvious 😬

It's wayyyy more than just that. First off, camping is taken care of in an awesome spot in town. A dinner is catered for everyone. The raffle is a huge thing. Amazing odds and lots high $$$ items. Trail leaders and organization of trail rides is huge too.

That's not to mention the atmosphere at camp which is bar none. We've all made tons of friends from around the country and it's just an amazing place to be.

Small offshoots of people camping all over is fun too, but nowhere near the level of what the formal event is.

275 is crazy cheap for all the work these guys put in to make everything work too. It's worth it just for the camp site.

THIS!!! $275 is a bargain for the experiences and friends I've met via HIH. Plus, you have about 100+ "mechanics" all ready to help out if you have any issues :)

“BIG” turnout would be 100+ trucks which is what HIH is basically limited to. $275 covers costs of group permitting, renting Kendall mountain for a week, donating $ doing some local outreach, a bbq dinner for 250+ people, a little swag and a short list of other things. This isn’t a “big” money maker for the organizers.

Last year there were may be 10-15 +\- trucks from Mud family rolling around the San Juan’s in a 10day period around HIH timeframe. Hardly a BIG organized group.

HIH is a collective group experience- and the HIH “experience” isn’t achievable with out a centralized, collective effort of close to 2 dozen volunteers, 20+ sponsors, 100 + trucks and the 200 ~ 300 + attendees, (families, kids) that come along, and and most of all the spirit and leadership of the organizers: Stan & Chris.

The cost is negligible, in fact many contribute above and beyond.

THIS!!! $275 is a bargain for the experiences and friends I've met via HIH. Plus, you have about 100+ "mechanics" all ready to help out if you have any issues :)

The event price is reasonable. I see this type of guided trip out west selling for over $900.

Ive done multiple car rallies through the years off-road and on. HIH was one off the best I've ever attended, from start to finish.
I am going to be in Ouray the week before the rest of you, the 22 - 26th if anybody will be getting there early.
#sanjuanmountainrally

Ive done multiple car rallies through the years off-road and on. HIH was one off the best I've ever attended, from start to finish.
I am going to be in Ouray the week before the rest of you, the 22 - 26th if anybody will be getting there early.
#sanjuanmountainrally

Well just missed you by a few days. I'll be in Ouray from July 31 through August 2nd. Will most likely meet up with some Tacoma buddies that live in the area that weekend.

I will be camping at Lake Molas with my wife and two daughters from 7/28-8/1. Would love to meet with some folks.

I'll be coming up with my daughter. She called first dibs on the trip. I have three grown (early 20s) kids (2 boys and a girl) that all like to go off-roading. Actually, she has more patience than the boys on long trips and doesn't want to know "are we there yet?" She is a better cross-country traveler. I just need to teach her about spotting -- on short order.

I'm the type that's easily entertained and never met a stranger, so I have a good time wherever I go.

So there is a slight chance I might finish prepping my truck in time to come out to Silverton/Ouray around late July. If I do, it will be the wife and I, with 3 young'uns under 12. How are you all staying in touch? I would love to go on a trail or two with other 100 owners.

So there is a slight chance I might finish prepping my truck in time to come out to Silverton/Ouray around late July. If I do, it will be the wife and I, with 3 young'uns under 12. How are you all staying in touch? I would love to go on a trail or two with other 100 owners.
Last year, it seemed to be a loosely organized mixture of text messages, emails, meeting at the gas station in the mornings, and this ‘mud thread:

Any particular GMRS channel you guys use? I kinda remember someone suggesting Channel 21 last year!

Is anyone on Ham channels? I'm assuming there is a repeater there.

Last year’s communications discussion:

A number of people had ham radios, but the least common denominator seemed to be GMRS, which seemed to work pretty well. I remember programming a few (ham) repeaters into my radio before the trip, but never had a reason to use them.

Last year’s communications discussion:

A number of people had ham radios, but the least common denominator seemed to be GMRS, which seemed to work pretty well. I remember programming a few (ham) repeaters into my radio before the trip, but never had a reason to use them.

MXT275 GMRS hooked up to a 6db gain antenna. I have a box of 8 Midland GMRS X-Talkers that I can bring to loan for anyone that needs one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom