HIH8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW at HIH5 I had a crappy antenna setup and it sucked not being able to communicate. I could hear but could not respond.
Easiest option whatever CB you get, get a wilson or similar magmount antenna - stick it to your roof and screw it into the CB radio and be done

Is CB the best option? How many people are using Ham? I will have my technicians license soon .

Is CB the best option? How many people are using Ham? I will have my technicians license soon .
Some people will have HAM, but the majority of everyone will be communicating on CB.

FWIW at HIH5 I had a crappy antenna setup and it sucked not being able to communicate. I could hear but could not respond.
Easiest option whatever CB you get, get a wilson or similar magmount antenna - stick it to your roof and screw it into the CB radio and be done

So If I did a really cheap little unit (not a handheld) and got one of those 36" magnetic whips I'd be ok?

So If I did a really cheap little unit (not a handheld) and got one of those 36" magnetic whips I'd be ok?

IDK about cheapest but below is my setup. Take in mind the CB radio I use has a front facing speaker not an internal one like most really cheap ones. total cost was about $125.... I double stacked this radio under my single din after market radio.
If time allows get a HAM handheld for $35-50 and a HAM license and be done with it.

https://www.amazon.com/WILSON-305-3...qid=1520267456&sr=8-3&keywords=wilson+antenna

https://www.amazon.com/Cobra-Compac...UTF8&qid=1520267526&sr=1-41&keywords=cobra+cb

Guys, honestly for $100-150 and an hour or two you can have a properly installed, well functioning CB and antenna. You will use it on this trip. If you ever plan to wheel or do an event with a group again you will use it.

Spend a few bucks and an hour or two and do it right. I promise you'll be happy you did.

Guys, honestly for $100-150 and an hour or two you can have a properly installed, well functioning CB and antenna. You will use it on this trip. If you ever plan to wheel or do an event with a group again you will use it.

Spend a few bucks and an hour or two and do it right. I promise you'll be happy you did.
I'll second this point of view. I did this for HIH8 and I'm grateful I did. Also, it was fun to have the CB during the drive to Silverton, listening to the truckers on the Interstate made the trip go quicker.

Question, do we need to bring tents, sleeping bags, etc. full camping gear? or are there hotels, motels, or inns to stay in?

Official HIH8 post will be up tonight or tomorrow morning and all of these FAQs will be addressed. Sorry for the delays.

Registration date/time has been determined and will be released in that post as well.

Yes!! Very excited, looking forward to it.

Question, do we need to bring tents, sleeping bags, etc. full camping gear? or are there hotels, motels, or inns to stay in?

There are hotels/bed & Breakfasts there in town but you will miss out. Some of the most fun we had last year was standing in the dark after our wives/kids had gone to bed and just shooting the s***. I would strongly suggest camping.

I'm planning on getting one of those headless cobra CB's and a fire stick, they are pretty useful if you ever wheel with friends...
That’s pretty much what i’m running. Cobra 75 with a Wilson Lil Wil Magnetic antenna. Wired the cobra piece to a 12v plug and it lives in the center console on trips. Mic cord can hang out while still allowing console lid to close, same with coax cable. Fully removable in seconds and has great reception with little set up.

That’s pretty much what i’m running. Cobra 75 with a Wilson Lil Wil Magnetic antenna. Wired the cobra piece to a 12v plug and it lives in the center console on trips. Mic cord can hang out while still allowing console lid to close, same with coax cable. Fully removable in seconds and has great reception with little set up.

Got any pics with your setup? I am going to pull the trigger on all the parts to install once I get the HIH8 tickets

I had a magnetic ant on an old rig, and I just never really liked it, stuck up really high without the benefit of a really long ant... always wished I'd gotten a firestick. The tuneable tips are super nice (plus, I am in AZ and they are local). I've got a spot on my slee rear that I can mount the firestick too :)

Got any pics with your setup? I am going to pull the trigger on all the parts to install once I get the HIH8 tickets

I had a magnetic ant on an old rig, and I just never really liked it, stuck up really high without the benefit of a really long ant... always wished I'd gotten a firestick. The tuneable tips are super nice (plus, I am in AZ and they are local). I've got a spot on my slee rear that I can mount the firestick too :)
I’ll get a pic of the actual CB and how I have it wired up next time I get the chance. I will attach a pic of my rig from HIH last year that shows the antenna mounted. The antenna wasn’t ever really too “tall” for anything I did and had plenty of flex when it hit obstacles. I had a fire stick on my last rig and they can’t be mounted too high due to their stiff nature, even with a spring.

4964C8F7-6C77-4FA2-84F1-6DFFAC37BAC9.jpeg

The magnetic antenna better fits my needs at the time. When I upgrade rear bumpers or buy an antenna mount, then I’ll switch to a fire stick mounted on a quick disconnect & spring. For now my setup allows me to fully have a CB in the rig or have nothing at all.

I’ll get a pic of the actual CB and how I have it wired up next time I get the chance. I will attach a pic of my rig from HIH last year that shows the antenna mounted. The antenna wasn’t ever really too “tall” for anything I did and had plenty of flex when it hit obstacles. I had a fire stick on my last rig and they can’t be mounted too high due to their stiff nature, even with a spring.

View attachment 1647270

The magnetic antenna better fits my needs at the time. When I upgrade rear bumpers or buy an antenna mount, then I’ll switch to a fire stick mounted on a quick disconnect & spring. For now my setup allows me to fully have a CB in the rig or have nothing at all.
Wow. Your rig looks awesome. Minimal and awesome. What wheels/lift, and where did you get those lease covers or blackouts in front?

Wow. Your rig looks awesome. Minimal and awesome. What wheels/lift, and where did you get those lease covers or blackouts in front?
Running Method wheels and Tough Dog lift. Blackout corners were done by myself using a mixture of different paints and tinted sprays. They were done to match my retrofit headlights.

No crappy ebay lights here ;)

Running Method wheels and Tough Dog lift. Blackout corners were done by myself using a mixture of different paints and tinted sprays.
You have a write up on it at all? If I am going to upgrade my lights soon with the brackets for the lx470, seems like a good chance to do that as well while I am inside!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom