High Steer: Drag link to tie rod OR steering arm? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going to be putting my high steer together in a couple weeks. I'm using Kong high steer arms and Chevy one ton ends on an FJ60 axle. I was curious how everyone is running their dag link.

Are you reaming the Chevy tie rod end (the one with the hole for a steering stabilizer) and connecting your drag link to that?

OR are you connecting the drag link to the steering arm? That extra hole's gonna look funny without something in it.

I've seen a few of the inverted Y setup (drag link to tie rod end) but it sounds like there is an issue of bump steer with this setup. Maybe it has to do with steering box placement? With the inverted Y you also should be able to flex the steering more.

-Tyler

Make it go to the arm. That is what the extra hole is designed for..

So how come so many people don't go to the arm? If you google high steer, it seems like a lot of people go to the tie rod. I had figured on going to the arm, I just couldn't figure out why so many people don't. Is it because some vendors only put one hole in the PS arm?

-Tyler

I Did mine like this
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/steeringupgrade.php

if i were to do it again, i may go to the Hysteer arm, But this worked out good. For some reason i figured that it would equilize the forces. Meaning if i hit somthing hard on the left tire, That force would Not go thru the Right Hysteer arm, then into the Drag link. I think its all relative, and everything is tight together anyway.. but that is the theory i went with..

Pytbool said:
So how come so many people don't go to the arm? If you google high steer, it seems like a lot of people go to the tie rod. I had figured on going to the arm, I just couldn't figure out why so many people don't. Is it because some vendors only put one hole in the PS arm?

-Tyler

Google search for 'ackerman steering' I may be wrong, but I think all link suspended front ends use the 'y' type steering from the factory-because of ackerman angle. I dont think its as important on leaf sprung vehicles.

ackerman has nothing to do with the drag link. ackerman refers to the amount the inside tire turns sharper than the outside tire. That is determined by the realationship of the point where the tie-rod ends atach to the arms verse the pivot point of the knuckles (ie. knuckle bearings).

Regardles of where the draglink ataches to your steering system ackerman will remain the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom