High pitch "ring" or "whine" when accelerating hard, stops after transmission shifts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

Background: I have a 1996 LX450 with 200k. The cats have been removed and exhaust leaks have been filled. My transmission shifts hard and clunks when going from reverse to drive and between gears. My vacuum line charcoal filter is extremely blocked up.

I've done the search in google and on the forum itself but didn't seem to think that the other forum posts were explaining the same issue as I've been experiencing. Based on the things I've read, the background information I posted above might be of help diagnosing.

When I really push the pedal to the metal, I seem to hear a high-pitched ringing or whining noise coming from what seems to sound like the back/right-rear side of the vehicle and immediately stops ringing as soon as the transmission shifts. I do not hear this noise when driving on the interstate at 80mph/3100rpms - only when accelerating hard to get up to speed.

Is this something to be concerned about? Is it my transmission?

Further question, is it recommended to do transmission fluid flushes on 80's? Or is it one of those things where changing the tranny fluid could cause issues?

Sounds like the resonator.

As for the transmission, how have you missed all the discussion of flushing/fluid exchange vs. regular draining and refilling?

Transmission Fluid Exchange Writeup

And the "could cause issues" bit is an old wive's tale. The only thing that could cause issues is using the wrong fluid or failing to refill it to the correct level.

As for the transmission, how have you missed all the discussion of flushing/fluid exchange vs. regular draining and refilling?

And the "could cause issues" bit is an old wive's tale. The only thing that could cause issues is using the wrong fluid or failing to refill it to the correct level.

I'm researching threads on the resonator now. I would think that it would make a constant ringing noise on the interstate at higher RPM's if it were related to the resonator, yeah? Feel free to school me if my thinking is flawed.

Also, thank you for linking that thread. I'm unsure how I've missed all the discussions but i'm about to find out a lot more about them now haha.

I'm researching threads on the resonator now. I would think that it would make a constant ringing noise on the interstate at higher RPM's if it were related to the resonator, yeah? Feel free to school me if my thinking is flawed.

Also, thank you for linking that thread. I'm unsure how I've missed all the discussions but i'm about to find out a lot more about them now haha.

I have a similar noise starting a few hundred rpms before shift points, and going away after the shift. Decreases as it warms up. It is also clunky on shifts. I just figured a rebuild (or h151f) is in my future. Fluid was recently flushed.

I have a similar noise starting a few hundred rpms before shift points, and going away after the shift. Decreases as it warms up. It is also clunky on shifts. I just figured a rebuild (or h151f) is in my future. Fluid was recently flushed.

Did the whine begin before or after the flush?

He’s probably not suffering from OCD.

:rofl::rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom