High Mileage: how high is too high? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I am new to the forum and considering a purchase of a 100 series LX.

I have identified two possible candidates for purchase: a 300k mile 2007 that has an impeccable service record - one owner who serviced rig at same Lexus dealer, with service performed exactly on schedule, and a 171k mile 2006 with less service records available.

The 07 is cosmetically in better shape, and looks to be garage kept. The 06 is a little rough around the edges.

What makes this a close call is the pricing - seems like the 06 is priced high relative to its mileage. I asked the dealership about this and their remark was that it’s better to have a well kept 300k mile vehicle than a 171k mile vehicle that hasn’t received the proper care and attention.

I get the point he’s making, but how persuasive is he when we’re talking about a 300k mile vehicle?

Appreciate the thoughts - and great forum - really enjoy reading everyone’s insight.

Best

I bought my 99 in 02/2020 with 294k and limited records. I'm playing catch up now but I put about 6K miles on it before anything really happened, so if the 07 w/ 300k has all the major maintenance done, then do it, but do your due diligence here to have an idea of what to expect.

Both have waaaay too many miles and you should run from those Lexii lemons.

Now where are they located again? 🤣

Condition is priority and the LX/LC is one of very few brands, if not the only, that you can have all three buying factors to make a primo deal.....High mileage that lowers price, age that lowers price and good or even great condition and reliability even when combine with previous price lowering factors. And Lexii are designed and assembled like most machines to run not sit. Sitting, low mileage machines are what I run from.

My wife's '04 LX with 350k miles shouldn't be allowed to run so well and wear so well. Just ridiculous.

So you're saying one is newer, is in better condition, and has perfect service history, while the other is older, in worse condition, and has limited service history?

Isn't it obvious which one to pick?

Both have waaaay too many miles and you should run from those Lexii lemons.

Now where are they located again? 🤣

Condition is priority and the LX/LC is one of very few brands, if not the only, that you can have all three buying factors to make a primo deal.....High mileage that lowers price, age that lowers price and good or even great condition and reliability even when combine with previous price lowering factors. And Lexii are designed and assembled like most machines to run not sit. Sitting, low mileage machines are what I run from.

My wife's '04 LX with 350k miles shouldn't be allowed to run so well and wear so well. Just ridiculous.
My 01 LX runs well with 345k miles on it, and it is my daily driver. The motor still sounds good, and I have had three oil analysis performed. All of them have come back within the averages, nothing major is going on inside the engine.

All,

Thanks for the help!

A few responses:

The one w 300k miles (extensive records and clean cosmetics) is priced at $16.9k and the one w 171k miles (spotty records and rougher cosmetics) is priced at $23k. Presumably both are negotiable to a degree.

Both are southern vehicles exclusively (GA and TN respectively).

No rust issues on either.

I think the reply: “Condition always trumps mileage in this game” is what I was hoping to hear!

Thanks everyone!

Post pics of both vehicles, under carriage and all. $17K for a 300K cruiser is still high, i'd pay 12K for that. Market is starting to come down a bit.

I doubt Yotas or Lexis will drop as much as others but should correct some. Not that there is a ton of them but seeing a lot of LXs not selling around me (NE, dealers and private). Now I would believe anything is negociable.

The 2UZ will take care of you if you take care of it. 2 different 1 million mile tundras 👍. Plenty of 2UZ with 300k+

06-07s definitely fetch a premium. Based on your descriptions the 07 seems to be a no brainer. I have 286k on mine and it doesn't bother me in the least.

$23k is too much based on a quick Autotrader search in the Atlanta area. There actually looked like a few good options so maybe it's a good time to buy one. I wouldn't shy away from making a lower offer on the high mileage one, you might get yourself a good deal. They probably gave someone less than 10 on the trade-in.

A one-owner with impeccable service records? That's a no-brainer. It could have a bajillion miles on it I would scoop it in a hurry if I didn't already have my own "low mileage" nightmare. As stated above, manage expecctations. 300K is a lot of miles and things will be used and need some love/replacement.

Butt, you should totally get the other one so someone else can buy the one-owner. 😏 Haha

$23k is too much based on a quick Autotrader search in the Atlanta area. There actually looked like a few good options so maybe it's a good time to buy one. I wouldn't shy away from making a lower offer on the high mileage one, you might get yourself a good deal. They probably gave someone less than 10 on the trade-in.
Send pics when you get it

As I found after I bought my one owner--Lexus dealer serviced "by the book" --190K miles 470, you need to look closely at the Lexus service records to know exactly how much service was actually performed. Just because it was brought to the dealer at the designated mile marks, does not mean that the owner accepted all of the Dealer recommended service or parts replacement recommendations. Sometimes the service is only an oil change and not the more expensive suggested services. The owner can "refuse service" as I found out.

In my case, when I was able to download the Lexus service records for my 470, near the end of the first owner's ownership, the dealer recommended replacing a leaking steering rack and CV axles. The owner turned down the replacing the parts and drove it another 20K with more service visits to the dealer without going forward with the replacements.

This makes sense because, after many years of ownership, the owner probably was thinking about buying a new car/truck and did not wish to spend big money on parts that were still working-even if they were starting to fail.

I had looked under the truck once I received it- no signs of leaks or thrown grease. After I read the service records I kept an eye on both. The steering rack started showing leakage on the left bellow within 50 miles. I re-crimped the CV joints and so far no grease seepage.

Shows that sometimes the dealer is trolling for work- but other times the part does need to be replaced. I have a new steering rack on the shelf but my lower back has prevented me from tackling the replacement. I added AT-205 to get me to next summer.

You could join the Lexus owners club on the Lexus site and with the VIN number pull all of the records- which are way more informative than any aftermarket reports from Carfax.

I'd go with the '07. I think service records are of the most importance dealing with these. I passed on better prices when searching for my recent purchase in favor of good service records. Found a one family owned 100 with full service records, good feeling to look back on a documented service history :).

I know its a little different, but I purchased a '96 with 315k miles on it for $9k in late 2021, with 3 folders full of records of every oil change, maintenance or repair conducted, and it made a huge difference. I ended up putting another 1,200 into the HG, injectors, EGR and trans as PM (and because I am anal about the engine maintenance), but its running like it is a brand new motor...hell, I just returned from a 2-week/2,300mile trip from San Diego to Tahoe, to the Tetons, to Denver, down Black Bear Pass in CO, and back to SD through the desert. Not a single issue.

Condition is important, but solid service records of major engine components go farther in making a decision for me. If it aint running, look elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom