High Idle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_6066.JPG
IMG_6138.JPG
hey guys, I have a high idle problem and have replaced the TPS, knock sensor (was throwing the knock sensor code) and the temperature sensor. My CEL went away for some time but I still have a high idle (@ 1k-1200 RPM's) and my CEL just came back on throwing code 25 and 26 rich/lean combo. Any thoughts or solutions? All I need to do is figure this out and do a front axle rebuild (have some clicking and leaking on the driver side) and my 80 is pretty much complete. Please help!

26 and 25 for me was the o2 sensors, on your high idle make sure throttle cable isn't sticking, easy way to tell is put your foot under the pedal and pull up with your foot

Thanks for the response, it's not the throttle cable, I tried that first thing. I just disconnected my o2 sensors so I will go that route next. The bad is that my o2 sensor nuts are rusted to s***! I will see what changing them does, hope I can remove them though. Would the o2 sensors be causing my rough idle?

Which intake tube is that? The main? I will check the intake too, I just put a new one on so it's definitely not cracked. I was about to begin replacing vacuum lines too. Just trying to get rid of all possible reasons for the high idle.

I spent the weekend replacing all the vacuum lines & installing a new main intake tube. Idle has dropped significantly, but still isn't bang-on perfect... sits around 800-900 rpm once up to temp. At 20+ years for the younger models, replacing anything rubber should just be part of the baseline procedures at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom