California 1994 1FZ-FE Failed Smog - IDLE - High HC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.transpacificdist.com
Putting it out there....

Failed a smog today - OBDI..... 2500 RPMs passes everything great - but at idle the HC measure 218 - max is 100. All other numbers pass at both idle and at 2500.

Recent new plugs, wire, rotor, cap and TPS

365K miles - looks like OG o2 sensors and cat....

Any other California folks with a similar experience with this engine? If so, what did you find?

Thanks in advance

PXL_20231109_212704246.jpg

I had this recently but not as bad started with 110hc. I checked that all vacuum lines were tight and not cracked and added some E85 gas and just squeaked by with a 95.

I had just rebuilt my engine with new everything. At the end of the day we probably both need new cats.

I had this recently but not as bad started with 110hc. I checked that all vacuum lines were tight and not cracked and added some E85 gas and just squeaked by with a 95.

I had just rebuilt my engine with new everything. At the end of the day we probably both need new cats.
Thanks - I'll have to look into the vac lines

Since I'm from CA ill say it before anyone else does... Move to a different state! JK
Have you heard of Cataclean? I would try running thru the cataclean process, it can be found at most local part stores or on amazon. I ran a bottle thru my 1997 80 @350k even though I had no smog issues. Did seem to run cleaner after the treatment, Running thru a full tank of gas should go by pretty quickly in petrol 80 :) I also replaced a bunch of small engine items (vapor canister, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter) and all these things helped the idle run smoother and cleaner.

your lucky to have an OBD1 80, its a prime candidate for a LS swap. OBD2 is dificult

Since I'm from CA ill say it before anyone else does... Move to a different state! JK
Have you heard of Cataclean? I would try running thru the cataclean process, it can be found at most local part stores or on amazon. I ran a bottle thru my 1997 80 @350k even though I had no smog issues. Did seem to run cleaner after the treatment, Running thru a full tank of gas should go by pretty quickly in petrol 80 :) I also replaced a bunch of small engine items (vapor canister, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter) and all these things helped the idle run smoother and cleaner.

your lucky to have an OBD1 80, its a prime candidate for a LS swap. OBD2 is dificult
I did do the fuel filter too. I'll look at the Cataclean.

LS or a diesel swap...

Thank you

That's crazy talk. lol
OBD1 is prime candidate for straight rebuild. 👍

Well I had the same issue a few times when I was in Ca. I did the same fixes as you, but I ran the tank down to 1/4 or so. Then I added a gallon of denatured alcohol (not sure if you can still purchase in Ca) and then drove it hard until I took it to the smog shop. I passed every time after that.

Then after living in Ca for 37 years, I got tired of smog, the cost of gas and a million other things and moved to a free state (TN).

****UPDATE****

I couldn't figure it out, so I finally bit the bullet and spent $524 in diagnostic fees and labor to learn that the new fuel filter I had installed was faulty....

Don't know why it mattered, but it passed smog nicely after getting that fuel filter re-replaced....

\m/\m/

Then after living in Ca for 37 years, I got tired of smog, the cost of gas and a million other things and moved to a free state (TN).

Welcome to Tennessee! We are more than happy to have you! (especially true of Land Cruiser enthusiasts) Just don't California our Tennessee, and things will be wonderful!

Thank you very much! I came here to leave all the Ca BS behind. Trust me, when I see Ca plates now I say “dont come here and California my beloved Tennessee!”

My friend who lives in Tenn...... his cattle froze last night..... so... there is that...
I’m glad you figured out your smog issue.

On the other hand that sucks! Terrible hearing people’s livelihood getting compromised from all this. Apparently middle Tennessee has t had this bad of a snow/storm/freeze since like 1944. All unincorporated areas out of the city (my neighborhood) is all iced over and the entry to our neighborhood is backed up with traffic due to the ice. We had to take back roads through deep water to get to our house earlier in my Tundra.

This was a little east of Chattanooga

I grew up in Chattanooga. It's been pretty chilly here lately. It was just below zero at my house night before last. It was 12 below at my Grandmother's. Pretty cold for down South. (Sorry... not trying to hi-jack this thread)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom