HID relays, need input. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I made a set up for myself with twin hellas. The difference is night and day. Quicker warm up. Instant ignition, no weirdness.
These will be the best quality you can/could get, or make on your own. They look the same as other maker's HID relays but made with real components.
There are limited places to order set ups like this online for 150+$ but the connectors would have to be switched out and lengths are random.

I don't know what the general consensus is about where people have their ballasts mounted, and where they are mounting their relay/s.

I'd like to standardize wire lengths but the option for custom lengths to compensate for different mount positions will be available.

The info I need is mounting locations of relay metal holder/s and ballast locations, for example, driver or passenger side relay mount and where ballasts are located.

I'm using a single (double as requested) 40 amp normally open hella with delphi/aptiv waterproof female socket with correct terminals and seals, and mount hole to fit our fenders. GXL 12 & 14 AWG, 15 amp fused (or 20). Delphi/aptiv 9006 male relay trigger for LC (lx later), and 9006 female delphi/aptiv ballast input. All with correct dephi/aptiv terminals for 12 and 14 awg and real Te ring terminals.
Bosch and tyco alternatives fit with delphi female sockets if someone prefers to use their own. Be aware they are all around 15$ each with mount tab and female skirt.

Fuse rating based on XB ballasts 35 and 55W with no wire longer than 5'. No fuse on ballast, just on battery line position 30 on 4 pin.
I need to check xb 55W current, inrush.
(30A @90°C 5' length of 12 AWG)

For all I know everyone might have different mount points and everyone might need different lengths. I wanted to check though.

I can't stress enough how much a difference it makes having a quality relay set up for these. 3.5 years ago I didn't know better.
This set will cure almost all HID ignition problems and you would definitely know if you have a ballast, ignitor cord, or bulb failure without all the checking and wondering about wire/relay problems.
I do need mount location examples though. I'm' going to make a couple next week. They will be less than 100$ shipped for singles. Doubles probably right around 110$ not for sure yet, don't quote me.

thank you

@Luke111

relay info.
9005 and 9006 info

Last edited:
100% in for whatever you end up making. I'll adjust mounting based on your harness if need be.

Currently I've got the Morimoto harness with the relays very close to the battery (I cut the feed and ground wires to length), and ballasts are of course next to the lights themselves. It's a Group 31 battery in the Slee tray, so the relay portions are kind of just jammed in the minimal space between the battery and the fender.

I know some mount it/them close to the battery. Space is a premium there. When you have to get to the back of the headlight I push the battery forward as far as possible and I can get my hand in there. Same for early LX, that's sosrt of why I chose originally to mount on the passenger side.

= more space to check it out, look for problems etc.
Downside is a longer battery wire and running it across and in front of the radiator. Mines been that way for years. I don't know a preference of people. But I know the lugs on the drivers fender are cluttered.

passenger fender seems most logical.
where are peoples ballasts though?

this pic is not what they/it are going to look like in the end.

relay mount..jpg

Last edited:
I’m not sure if I’d be interested but would like to know more. It’d be helpful to know how these fit into an HID system and what else (and its cost) is needed. I kind of know generally. also, why HID over LED (if that’s even an option).

these are all things I/someone could dig in on themselves but if you want to drum up as much interest as possible you’ve got to make it clear for the HID noobs (including me). Maybe there is already a good guide for 100s you could link.

That might not be your goal. right now it’s only sounds useful to those that already have HID or are pretty well versed in it.

saying this to be constructive not annoying and because it sounds cool. Also, specialized options for our trucks are always good. Basically sell us halogen dinosaurs on something we didn’t know we needed.

I'm really just trying to fix a problem that's widespread. Replacing one harness with another, that's it, eliminating the cheap wire, connectors and relay/s. We don't need another retrofit thread. They're everywhere and not exclusive. I do appreciate the comment. I get obsessed and loose track of who I'm talking to more often than not.

Selling HID stuff is lou's and trs and other people's gig. But if it's wire and connectors you're after I got it and make it.
The mass market relay set up is what it is and there's a need for it I suppose. There are also those that don't want to mess with it ever again. this one will last until it burns down.

I’m not sure if I’d be interested but would like to know more. It’d be helpful to know how these fit into an HID system and what else (and its cost) is needed. I kind of know generally. also, why HID over LED (if that’s even an option).

these are all things I/someone could dig in on themselves but if you want to drum up as much interest as possible you’ve got to make it clear for the HID noobs (including me). Maybe there is already a good guide for 100s you could link.

That might not be your goal. right now it’s only sounds useful to those that already have HID or are pretty well versed in it.

saying this to be constructive not annoying and because it sounds cool. Also, specialized options for our trucks are always good. Basically sell us halogen dinosaurs on something we didn’t know we needed.

Lots of us already converted to HID, via @Luke111 bracket. This would allow us to change out the existing relays with something better.

This ain't a sell you on why thread...it's a make the relay better thread

Last edited:
I do need the lexus low beam connector name. So I can round that up also. I thought it was h11, I haven't searched that yet. I'm way way deep in delphi catalogs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom