deconstructing the morimoto HD relay. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found an extra while I was looking for stuff yesterday, and I have lots of free time.

This is the 3rd one I've taken apart in a span of maybe 3 years. All 3 have had different type of wires and differing quality of crimps at the ground and power lines. This one pictured is the highest quality I've seen. I'm not saying anything about the relays, they have been the same. Same type, same waterproof components, same configuration. The whole set up is worth 20usd no matter how you slice it. You can't get the waterproof housing and seal stuff on your own plus all the rest for less.
Just make them better and more reliable if you have the time.

in these pictures you can see what they do with the grounds, joined and crimped. Same with the +12 battery lines, joined and crimped.
The ground and power wires are decent. Guessing 16awg ground and 14awg +12, all copper. Not silicone. I would not replace the power or ground wires at all. Just fix to length and solder the splices inline.
For that matter, you can ground wherever you like. Joined ballast ground, separate ballast grounds with shortest possible wire runs, etc. whatever you like.

INPUT wires

You can see how they solder the OEM input lines together with the 4 lines from the relay. Good Solder. Not so great wire, it's 20 awg also, I would change, but didn't in the pics. Not because its 20awg, because it's silicone. The other change might be,,,,Some people might like separate inputs, some might like them joined. I'd like separate. My personal set up is combined. One note here.. Leaving one input line not connected (this is a car side low beam input) can and will affect your instrument panel operation (possibly) regarding the headlight indicator (low beam). Depends on your car, early or late, LX or LC. 4 different conditions with different outcomes, too many to write about here.
If you have the equipment and supplies, swap the wire, recrimp new ballast input connectors, pictured are 9006/5.
You won't find better connectors or female crimps than what is supplied unless you spend lots of money.
I'd use them.

What I did in the pictures was cut the sleeve away and expose the power and ground crimps and cut those out. Then solder them inline and use heavier clear shrink sleeves. These have some heft to them and really add rigidity. Available on amazon in a random size, in an assorted box. They are really good to have.
Any length needed or not needed for the +12 battery line I would cut or add at the ring terminal as supplied. Use the ring terminals they supply for the +12 and ground (if you use that one). Add length or cut shorter between the ring and wire going back to the relay.

I did cut and resolder the oem input connectors in the pics, just for example.
If I had 18 or 16 gauge red and black I would redo them to swap to regular cooper wire. Cut to length and also put a new female end on only because I have bags and bags of terminals and seals and housings but I'm waiting on wire to show up.

With certainty you can say that a main failure point is going to be the OEM input connector. Which as supplied is going to go to both relays. It will arc and burn. Which will give you delayed ignition, zero ignition uneven ignition and relay failure.

Second might be ground for both relays and ballast wires, which are all joined, good or bad depending on preference.
Third might be the battery line. It's good wire. Recrimp inline, check the inline fuse they supply as it's one continuous wire, that's a good thing even though the fuse housing part isn't anything great.

Main point is it's a good set up that can be made better, and can be configured how you like to eliminate the failure points so that in the future the fault can be easily found. All the while maintaining the flow so that no indicators fail on the dash, no extra wire is wasted and it looks decent.

these relays are about 2usd on ebay, so they probably have a real cost, as configured by the regulars here in the usa of about .50usd

IMG_20200326_063657.jpg

IMG_20200326_064401.jpg

IMG_20200326_064732.jpg

IMG_20200326_065004.jpg

IMG_20200326_065158.jpg

Last edited:
yes i realize that solder for the 3 red wires isn't great. I don't ever solder anything that big. I'd need bigger diameter for that stuff.

IMG_20200326_070044.jpg

IMG_20200326_070303.jpg

IMG_20200326_072325.jpg

IMG_20200326_074726.jpg

IMG_20200326_080102.jpg

Last edited:
if it needs to be said, the bigger red wires are the battery, the smaller red ones are the OEM inputs, black are the grounds and the blue are the ballasts inputs.
That way you don't have to know anything about relays to get it or to make it better.

IMG_20200326_080557.jpg

IMG_20200326_081148.jpg

IMG_20200326_081915.jpg

Last edited:
if anyone wants this relay set up I'll send for 40usd. just tell me what configuration and length you want on the oem inputs and ground + power wire.

Last edited:
if it needs to be said, the bigger red wires are the battery, the smaller red ones are the OEM inputs, black are the grounds and the blue are the ballasts inputs.
That way you don't have to know anything about relays to get it or to make it better.
Jerry, would you consider replacing the relays as well with a more reliable unit? Looking at these vivair 40a relays
Amazon product ASIN B000YC7GBU
mark changed his out and it solved the delayed firing issues. mine seem to be flickering on the drivers side. All inputs are good

it's such a pain to get out of the housing I don't really know.
they raised the price of the twin set up I think. My second set of those have been fine for a good while.
I've never researched relay quality. But yes I'd buy something better and then redo the whole thing to my liking. Separate the inputs but combine the grounds. It'd be an extra wire across the front to the other low beam output but to me it feels more complete that way. Doesn't really matter all that much.
bet there are some nice Bosch waterproof ones out there. I'd buy from mouser, not Bosch style or like, on Amazon
Whatever gets the job done and lasts a good time frame you know.

it's such a pain to get out of the housing I don't really know.
they raised the price of the twin set up I think. My second set of those have been fine for a good while.
I've never researched relay quality. But yes I'd buy something better and then redo the whole thing to my liking. Separate the inputs but combine the grounds. It'd be an extra wire across the front to the other low beam output but to me it feels more complete that way. Doesn't really matter all that much.
bet there are some nice Bosch waterproof ones out there. I'd buy from mouser, not Bosch style or like, on Amazon
Whatever gets the job done and lasts a good time frame you know.
Thanks jb. This harness is two years old, so I may just grab another harness for a few dollars more than the two relays. Looks like its $32 now

On my last truck, i ran the relays with my retrofits, i went through 3 sets to sort out flickering issues or sometimes one side would not light up unless i turn off and on. Now on my recent truck i ditched the relays entirely and hooked the ballast straight to my factory harness and it's been flawless for over a year. I'm running 35W XB ballasts, i inspect the wiring every now and then to make sure they're not melting or anything and it's good. I'm trying to see why relays are needed unless we're running some crazy high wattage.

I don't think anything higher than a 20amp surge on a bad day.

One thing I thought about not running a relay was that if anything happened to the relays under the fuse panel and I did have external relays I could make my headlights work on the side of the road.
Having one good relay for 35w HIDs would be fine. 6.5amp running? X2

Last edited:
@jerryb love this post, thanks for taking the time to do all this. @FxFormat I had the exact same issue, which was driving me absolutely crazy. I can't tell you how many times this happened at night (usually on my way back from skiing). The only thing that saved me was that I had Morimoto 2 strokes in my DRL's. Was enough to get home but still pretty sketchy.

After getting 3 or 4 ballast replacements under ongoing warranty from TRS (they will keep sending you new ones for this issue), I somehow realized that it wasn't the ballasts, it was the post connection ring terminals. Their connection to the relay wire inside the conduit was loose. So I crimped these down and fixed the issue. Until it didn't, last week the ring terminal connection to the wire just snapped.

So...wanted to run this by you guys - I think my next move is to cut the conduit away, and do a fresh solder on the ring terminal/relay wire connection point. Agree or have better ideas? I also might get new ring terminals, seems like they are crappy.

So I've learned today that Morimoto replaces under warranty, you just have to kill the beast and send them proof...if thats helpful to anyone.

Morimoto Harness Warranty.JPG

best to strip it all down and inspect. Solder, because the chinese don't. to be honest, I've got mine for free so.. if I had to ship and take pics I probably wouldn't. Pure laziness but it's a dollar or two relay when it's all said and done.

best to strip it all down and inspect. Solder, because the chinese don't. to be honest, I've got mine for free so.. if I had to ship and take pics I probably wouldn't. Pure laziness but it's a dollar or two relay when it's all said and done.
in hindsight I wish I had just soldered the faulty connection, would have been a faster option...

I guess it's my fault for saying mine have been good for more than 18 months. One side went lazy on me two days ago.
For me, that's a 50% failure rate. The songle relays are garbage. Swapping the relays position tells you which one is bad it you haven't previously marked the female side D and P.
If I stay home another month I'm gonna look for a good single relay and make it up from scratch.

Thanks

I've looked all morning for replaceable relay + housing to match morimoto's wiring mating socket that's of decent quality.
What I found was this place auto electric supply ,
look at this picture below. It's hands down the best set up to use for HID except maybe you'd have to switch a connector around and the ground lugs are small. Everything is separate except the battery lead.
I don't know if its the best relay but those 40amp spst hella relays will always be around and easy to find.
I don't know if the housing that the hella is in will fit the songle waterproof socket that comes with the morimoto.
The wiring and connectors are the best you can buy for headight stuff, and it isn't cheap. 159$ is a lot, but your paying them to make it. I'd ask the same thing I suppose.

I'm thinking just buy two wiring sockets and two 40a hellas for $67 and make the rest. I have 9005/6 aptive connectors stashed for myself already.
One would be fine I'm sure. I don't really know why I'd want two. It makes me wonder why morimoto used two in the first place. All theirs are married together anyway, except for the output! ha.
Maybe I'm missing something. the ignition surge on two 35W HID can't be more than 20A, and the shutter solenoid draw comes from the high beam fuse (if stock)

probably going to order two, use one and make an extra.

I got two set ups yesterday from that company.
The Hella 40/20 waterproof fit the morimoto sockets as is. You'd just want the hella 40 normally open waterproof and swap them out if you trust your old wiring.

if you order the sockets to go with them ( 4 wire) then ask him to use 14 or 12 gauge wire on position 30 and 87. Or whatever you want. 10 gauge is a bear, You want 5 feet on one of the 30 pin sockets, the rest normal with 12" pigtails. They came as pictured, black &orange on pin 85-6 and red 30 & 87.
5 feet gets you extra to make a fuse connector or whatever on terminal 30.
The wire they use is perfect. crimps look great, terminals look better and relay is better. TXL on 30 & 87 leads and GXL 16 gauge on the others. Pretty great dealing with these people. I will use them in the future. I had them add 3 feet to one of the 10 gauge position.
They will also sell you the same wire by the foot. I have not found anywhere online that sells that wire like that.
I buy 100 and 200 foot rolls of the same stuff only smaller gauge from del city. NOwhere though can you just buy small amounts for reasonable money.

Last edited:
not to beat a dead horse, but..

The change in operation with proper wire, relays and terminals is outstanding.

I don't know why I didn't get real stuff sooner.
The main breakdown points are the terminals in the 9006 connectors to the ballast inputs, and the relays. To some extend the wiring isn't great but passable. mori.
I wouldn't order or use any ebay, amazon or regular hid online supplier stuff for wiring. The headaches are real. I also know the makers chase the lowest price as does the everyday user so I get it.
A set it and forget it single relay set with proper everything will cost about 75$ and last for a very long time.

ballast failure buzzzing whining, spark black connector HID wiring GXL TXL 9006 9005 HD relay hidplanet morimoto loud relay delayed ignition hid problems defective ballast

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom