Hhilux / Prado question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone tell me is the diesel engine in the Landcruiser "Prado"
series the same unit that is in the JDM Hilux that are being imported and the same also for the few North American units?

If they are the same, are people out there experiencing the same
HEAD issues as the "PRADO " models, or was this Strictly a L/C
problem? Thanks in advance!

The 90+ Prado and the 91+ Hilux Surf have the 2LTE engine (the Hilux pickup trucks have the 3L). The potential head cracking problem exists in all 2LTE vehicles not just the Prado (although I haven't heard of nearly as many Surfs having problems as Prados). The 3L in the Hilux pickups doesn't seem to have the head issue, at least not to the same degree anyway.

The North American official imports were 2L-T engines and they stopped in about 1987 or so.
I had no issues on my '83 2L that I had for about 5-8 years until the bed rusted away!!

Psilosin said:
The 90+ Prado and the 91+ Hilux Surf have the 2LTE engine (the Hilux pickup trucks have the 3L). The potential head cracking problem exists in all 2LTE vehicles not just the Prado (although I haven't heard of nearly as many Surfs having problems as Prados). The 3L in the Hilux pickups doesn't seem to have the head issue, at least not to the same degree anyway.
actually if you talk to Mike at proactive in Calgary he is replacing 2 heads a week in both the prado and the surf versions...

Thanks for all your input folks I guess I just have to wait until
someone at Toyota comes to thier senses and makes a diesel
pickup for this market again. (not holding my breath)

:beer:

Psilosin said:
The 3L in the Hilux pickups doesn't seem to have the head issue

Good to go from all accounts and info I have.

gb

:) Okay that sounds better , 3L hilux = good
now to find one for under 20 k.

THANKS FOR SETTING ME STRAIGHT GUYS.

The older hilux's (pre 1990?) came with a 2L. I owned a pickup for many years with a 2L and found it to be a great engine. Without the turbo It does not seem to suffer from the same overheating problems that the 2LT suffers from. Might be a cheaper option.

Diesel Weasel said:
The older hilux's (pre 1990?) came with a 2L. I owned a pickup for many years with a 2L and found it to be a great engine. Without the turbo It does not seem to suffer from the same overheating problems that the 2LT suffers from. Might be a cheaper option.

Not all pre-'90 Hilux trucks are 2L. In Canada the 2L came in the 2 wheel drive and the 2L-T came in the 4x4's.
The 2L was a truck that you didn't need to worry about speed traps with (except maybe downhill with a stiff tailwind)! The 3B is almost a dragster in comparison!

actually if you talk to Mike at proactive in Calgary he is replacing 2 heads a week in both the prado and the surf versions...

1. Ouch thats a lot of busted heads!! which leads to...
2. How the hell many Prados/Surfs are there around Calgary nowadays to be supplying busted heads in those kind of numbers?? ;p

Australia (JDM is much the same)

Hilux:
pre 91, 2L (2.4 litre)
91-99, 3L (2.8 litre)
99-04, 5L-E (not sure??)
04+, some new fandangled thing "D4D" ??

Surf:
pre 91, 2L
91-99, 1KZ-TE (3.0 litre turbodiesel)

Prado's: Same as 80 series landcruiser, then same as 100 series.

The 3L is a very severely underpowered engine. My G/F's dad has a 99 hilux dual cab with one of these and it's.... slow. I don't know how you guys measure fast, but this thing struggles to hold 100kmh on the highway and it's got less than 150,000 kms on the clock and it's PERFECTLY maintained.

That said, the 3L's with a turbo kit fly :)

http://www.marks4wd.com/misc.html <-- scroll basically to the bottom

Entaran said:

Hilux:
pre 91, 2L (2.4 litre)
91-99, 3L (2.8 litre)
99-04, 5L-E (not sure??)

Surf:
pre 91, 2L

The 3L is a very severely underpowered engine. My G/F's dad has a 99 hilux dual cab with one of these and it's.... slow. I don't know how you guys measure fast, but this thing struggles to hold 100kmh on the highway and it's got less than 150,000 kms on the clock and it's PERFECTLY maintained.

Actually Prado is same as 7X series Cruiser and then 9X Series Cruiser. Prado is

From my Knowledge.

Pickup either has

2.4 Diesel - 2L engine
2.4 TD - 2LT
2.4 TD - 2L2
2.8 D - 3L
D4D

Hilux Surf or Diesel 4 Runner

2.4 TD - 2LT
2.4 TD - 2LTE
3.0 TD - 1KZT (UK Market 4Runner)
3.0 TD - 1KZTE (94 on JDM)

Landcruiser Prado (or LC2 in UK)

2.4 TD - 2LT (UK Market Early)
2.4 TD - 2LTE (JDM Pre 94 Prado)
3.0 TD - 1KZT (UK Market post 93)
3.0 TD - 1KZTE (JDM post 93)
3.0 TD - 02 onwards I think D4D (Direct Injection Common Rail Diesel)

This is not to mention all the petrol varients such as 18R, 20R, 20RE, 22R, 22RE, etc etc etc etc.....

All the 2.4 TD engines have the same issue and some of the 3.0TD are also having issues now. There are redesigned heads for the 2LT/2LTE/2L2 engines (same head for all 3 except early 2LT with rocker type OHV). Thes have more material on the face which seems to cure the head cracking problems.

Last edited:
Entaran said:

Hilux:
pre 91, 2L (2.4 litre)
91-99, 3L (2.8 litre)
99-04, 5L-E (not sure??)

Surf:
pre 91, 2L

My 90 Surf had a 2LT-II and I also saw a 91 with a 2LT-TE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom