HF1A Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ArmyFJ

Lookin’ for mud in all the wrong places.
GOLD Star
Threads
I had a couple of leaks here and there. 2nd gear was slow to shift. The transfer case would pop out of low. So I decided to bust into both of them and rebuild. I think the transfer case and transmission are from a mid 1998 FZJ80 but not 100% sure. Through the tear down now with some new bearings, seals, and an input shaft for the transfer on order. I'll post up as I rebuild both - H151F transmission rebuild.

I pulled the transfer first. Using a transmission jack was huge. Nothing really to note outside of the FSM procedures.

IMG_0403.JPG
IMG_0405.JPG

HF1A rear output flange:
IMG_0406.JPG

Rear transfer case extension:
IMG_0429.JPG

Main transfer case housing with the input shaft/gear removed:
IMG_0408.JPG

One interesting thing about this case is there is no oil pump. The idler gear has a plate on each end capping the gears. It helps lift and sling the oil to different oil returns throughout the housing.

Last edited:
One leak site identified...Input shaft had a nasty wear line at the seal. The input gear is part of the input shaft on this case - they do not separate.
IMG_5382.JPG

Input shaft showing wear ring (top right)
IMG_0535.JPG

Output shaft:
IMG_5397.JPG

Looking at the back of the output shaft - the clutch hub sleeve is oriented the wrong way - there is a little dimple on the top right (~1 o'clock) that should be facing forward. There is also a beveled lip on the front to show proper orientation. That plus some pretty worn teeth on one side of the sleeve make me think it was the source of the transfer case slipping out of low.
IMG_5406.JPG

Last edited:
One leak site identified...Input shaft had a nasty wear line at the seal. The input gear is part of the input shaft on this case - they do not separate.View attachment 2272733

How did you remove this bearing on the input shaft? I had a hell of a time removing it on my HF1A rebuild.

I used a bearing splitter from harbor freight. Got the big one they have - 4 & 3/8 in. Tightened it until it was seated tight and by that time it was separated about 1/4 in. Then used a 20 ton press to take it the rest of the way off.

101545E9-DF25-414A-A095-F593290D76B8.jpeg

I used a bearing splitter from harbor freight. Got the big one they have - 4 & 3/8 in. Tightened it until it was seated tight and by that time it was separated about 1/4 in. Then used a 20 ton press to take it the rest of the way off.

View attachment 2273440

I think my gear puller was just too small for it. I couldn't get enough meat on the bearing because it's SO close to the gear. Did you remove the needle bearing inside the output shaft too?

Did you remove the needle bearing inside the output shaft too?

I have not pulled it yet but I will. It’s basically a little pilot bearing. I have a pilot bearing puller but I’m probably going to use the bread technique.

I have not pulled it yet but I will. It’s basically a little pilot bearing. I have a pilot bearing puller but I’m probably going to use the bread technique.

that's what I did on my pilot bearing. highly recommend it, very clean way to remove bearings.

Transfer case housing hot tanked (w/o solvents). Came out fairly clean - then wire brushed the outside.
IMG_0547.JPG

So I tried bread, grease, and a puller - in the end I had to rip out the needles and cage and cut the race for the pilot bearing from the output shaft.

IMG_0590.JPG

New pilot bearing pressed in and a new hub clutch and hub clutch sleeve installed.
IMG_0591.JPG

On the replacement hub sleeve there wasn't any difference in the bevel or a dimple for the front orientation like the original.
IMG_0592.JPG

Output shaft back together with new needle and tapered roller bearings.

IMG_0650.JPG

Idler gear, output shaft and shift fork back in the front housing.
IMG_0652.JPG

The rear housing has an interesting plastic oil return for the idler gear bearing. It precariously protrudes slightly into the rear extension housing area...a frailty I did not expected to see in a LC transfer case. Took me weeks to find the correct part.
IMG_0587.JPG

IMG_0588.JPG

Rear extension housing and front and rear housing back together.
IMG_0656.JPG

Last edited:
That plastic oil return piece broke on my HF1A rebuild as well. Agreed, it wasn't totally obvious on the EPC which part that was.

Crazy about the needle bearing! It was a tough one that's for sure. Nice seeing that 1281 FIPG on the completed casing!

Great work Matt.

Thanks, Onur. It’s been a bit slow in progressing but I have found some great satisfaction in being deliberate about it. Just waiting on a few more parts to wrap up the transfer case.

That plastic oil return piece broke on my HF1A rebuild as well.

My original oil return when I opened it up...
IMG_0431.JPG

Nice work. Who did you convince to spend so much time on the case? Looks great.

Thanks. It honestly didn't take much with a wire wheel and Dremel once it was hot tanked. Maybe an hour for the whole case.

Thanks, Onur. It’s been a bit slow in progressing but I have found some great satisfaction in being deliberate about it. Just waiting on a few more parts to wrap up the transfer case.

My original oil return when I opened it up...
View attachment 2297761

Is that p/n 3312460030 Pipe, oil receiver for transfer ?

Thanks

Is that p/n 3312460030 Pipe, oil receiver for transfer ?

Thanks

It is 33124-60010. Sorry I didn’t realize I never posted the pic or p/n.

7FEC3624-48DE-4864-AC18-EB9757D44FA6.jpeg

Thanks, I have a HF2A, my PN was from that parts diagram.
Same thing just different number because of different case I guess?

Cheers and thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom