hesitation / bucking while driving - 22R (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have an 85 pickup with the 22R. It has done this to me three times now where when I start to accelerate while driving it will buck/hesitate. This happened the first time after I accelerated to get onto the freeway (using the term accelerated very loosely here). As I was accelerating it started to buck, I let off the gas and it stopped. I think this would have to be associated to the fuel delivery for the vehicle. I ordered a new pump and filter. And for the winter also ordered a Carb rebuild kit. I looked at the filter the other day prior to pulling the current one and it doesn't look that bad. But I will be swapping both out this weekend regardless. I don't think it is a vacuum line issue because it is so inconsistent when this occurs. I also think maybe a distributor issue from my research. Was seeing if anyone had a similar experience and figured out what was causing their issue.

The last time this happened the car completely died and it took several attempts to start back up. Making me believe more that it would be fuel related.

Hoping to take the truck on Labor Day weekend on its first 4Wheeling trip with my daughter.

And here is a photo of the truck with my other 4 Wheeler because everyone loves a good photo.

IMG_5187.JPG

I think you are on the right track. My 1982 did the same thing and it was fuel filter. Hopefully it's an easy fix.

Also, make sure a previous owner didn't install a filter off the gas tank.

Last edited:
Mine does more of a hiccup where its like a snap of your fingers the it will have the issue. think mine is more electrical but who knows..

Nice truck and 40! Stock carb? Emissions deleted? Sounds like fuel, but don't rule out vacuum leak. My 40 had this problem, it was a combination of vacuum leak and timing off. Stick to one system at a time, don't add more variables than you need to....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom