Builds Heritage Blogmobile Build Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Followed the lead of @SharpeCat and others here, and installed the Weboost Reach OTR. Happily, I also have a new spot in my loft building's garage, with much better light for photos.

View attachment 2561741

I mounted the antenna to my FrontRunner rack using the Rhino-Rack mount. Worked out well, but we'll have to see if the one-bolt install of the bracket to the rack's cross beam holds up over the long term (I did use threadlock). One annoying thing about the mount that I don't like is you have to secure/unsecure the hinge with a screw when changing position; I wish the process were quicker.

I mounted the central box to one of my molle panels with zip ties and mounting tape. For power, I'm using the car's native DC outlet at the back of the armrest console.

View attachment 2561747

Ran the external antenna wire down the hatch and under the lower hatch door plastic piece. Then made a notch in the weather stripping, close to the middle of the vehicle, and brought the line back toward the corner and into the vehicle.

View attachment 2561752

View attachment 2561753

I haven't gone anywhere with low signal yet, but the unit turns yellow into green on my signal meter app when inside the garage, so I already see a difference.

Very happy with the unit. Thanks, everyone, for sharing your experience with
I do not fully understand where the wire came in, I spent some time today with a buddy and it appears at every entry point the wire will get pinched. Would you be able to share a photo of the entry from antennae. Did you use anything to keep the wire in place as it ran down the hatch? Thanks!

Badass build. Where in jersey are you? I’d love to see this beast in the flesh sometime.

I do not fully understand where the wire came in, I spent some time today with a buddy and it appears at every entry point the wire will get pinched. Would you be able to share a photo of the entry from antennae. Did you use anything to keep the wire in place as it ran down the hatch? Thanks!

You can see the wire entry in this picture: https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachments/20210122_165212-1-jpg.2561753/

Basically, it's passing through a slot I made in the molding on the rear of the vehicle.

For the wire run down the side of the hatch area, I just used these black sticky foam pads I found somewhere---probably at Home Depot or Lowes.

Last edited:
What is your total height with lift and rack? Trying to determine if I can get into my garage with a similar set up? Nice looking ride!

I'm just under 8 feet with my cases on the roof (not including the antenna). Subtracting the cases would get me into the low 7s.

Been a while since I shared an update, but I have a lot more experience in the vehicle now. Today's update concerns supplemental power. In short, I needed more of it, particularly more AC power. I also faced charging issues. So the system has grown more complex.

I now have the Yeti 1500x supplemented by one of the Goal Zero Expansion Tanks, for 2700 total watt hours.

20210810_030712[1].jpg

Unfortunately, with the Tank plugged into the 1500x, the high-amp cable from the car battery can't be plugged in. So that cable is now capped and lives in the netting behind my seat in case I ever want to unplug the tank and get a rapid boost while on the road.

In addition to the cable to the battery, I now have 4 chargers. For rapid charging when in a garage or such, I use the 600w AC charger for the 1500x plus a 120w AC charger for the MPPT adapter that interfaces with the tank. The way this ends up working is that the 1500x gets charged by the 600w charger and the Xpansion tank simultaneously, while the tank gets charged off the 120w charger.

To charge while driving when the tank is plugged in, I currently use a cigarette lighter charger set at 10amps (you can choose 5 or 10) but I have a second one not set up yet. I am going to experiment with setting the second one set at 5 amps and connecting it via a DC to AC adapter to the auxiliary AC outlet in the vehicle, which is on its own fuse, I believe. The two AC charger system has been tested, but the two DC chargers system has not yet been tested. So we'll see...

The batteries are heavy, but both are well held in place using straps. These straps have held up under rigorous uses with no meaningful maintenance.

If there's a weakness in this system, it's that I have to remember not to open the rear passenger door in the rain. I need to get a custom raincoat made for everything. That's on my to-do list.

Update on aux power system. I've now installed a Victron Orion 12/24 charger in my back seat area to charge my Yeti 1500x when the vehicle is in motion. Simultaneously, the Goal Zero cigarette lighter charges my Yeti expansion tank through the Yeti Link module.

Huge shoutout to @FrazzledHunter for his help on selecting, configuring, and troubleshooting the Victron. This thing works great to charge the Yeti through its 8mm high power input.

The whole system is attached to the headrest and supported against the backseat using a rod system adapted from the film world.

20210826_174929[1].jpg

Installed onboard battery maintainer and wired to a waterproof outlet concealed in the bullbar.

The maintainer is on the opposite side of the engine bay from the car battery for safety. It's open all around and in the path of a strong fan breeze for maximum cooling.

Battery was getting a little depleted. Now it will be easy to plug in each night and top it off.

20210830_222042[1].jpg

20210830_222918[1].jpg

20210830_222947[1].jpg

20210830_224012[1].jpg

In the above you can see from the 2 lights that my battery was very depleted at the time the pics were taken. I had been working for a few hours with the engine off and a bunch of lights on.

Exciting day at the welding shop. We finalized a custom aluminum cargo tray and attached it to a front hitch receiver welded on top of my bullbar. Since this wasn't the strongest location, we focused on making the cargo tray extremely light and mounted it literally as close as possible to the front of the vehicle, with allowance made only for an anti-rattle bracket. Right now, I've got a 100 pound load on the front. When I come back from my upcoming trip, the shop is going to do a couple things to beef up my bullbar and allow for less flex under hitch receiver load in case I want to carry more weight in the future.

In the pic below, you can't actually see the tray, since the load, a rolling storm shelter, is center on top of it. (I forgot to take pics before loading, so pics of the tray itself will have to wait for a future time.)

20210904_045920[1].jpg

Bump.

It's been too long...Do you have any updates that you can share regarding your build and the project you're working on?

Would love to see some shots of your incredible build in the wild, as well.

Sorry--haven't been on for a while. Been busy!

No updates, really. I'd say the build is mature at this point. Mainly been working on some photographic rigging and such for creative projects. And got a little more welding to do in the front to better support the hitch mount added to the bumper. I'll share that once it's done! Mainly been using the truck for work. But I do hope to get out for a weekend trip sometime soon, in which case I'll try to get some proper pics.

Sorry--haven't been on for a while. Been busy!

No updates, really. I'd say the build is mature at this point. Mainly been working on some photographic rigging and such for creative projects. And got a little more welding to do in the front to better support the hitch mount added to the bumper. I'll share that once it's done! Mainly been using the truck for work. But I do hope to get out for a weekend trip sometime soon, in which case I'll try to get some proper pics.
Heck I'd be happy just seeing some pics of it sitting doing whatever it is you're doing right now!

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays, all. Been up in North Michigan and finally got to take a short recreational break with a friend. We went to an offroad area that had anywhere from 3 to 12 inches of snow, depending on the spot. It was an interesting experience going over rocky and rooty terrain without being able to see the individual rocks and roots!

Pics to come!

Last edited:
Here's the beast at the top of a hill. That snow got pretty deep, and the stuff on the bottom was deeply packed. The KO2s couldn't manage the job in the deep stuff, really; so we had to basically plow tracks by backing up and heaving forward a few times.

MUDupthehill.jpg

Driving around the flat trails in the snow was pretty easy. No issues with KO2s on level ground in the snow. Those Michigan forest branches, though, required some manual maneuvering.

MUDbranches.jpg

For my next trip to northern country, I'm definitely going to get winter tires on. I had Blizzaks but sold them after getting my lift and larger tires. Thinking about the 33" General Arctics with removable studs.

Here's the beast at the top of a hill. That snow got pretty deep, and the stuff on the bottom was deeply packed. The KO2s couldn't manage the job in the deep stuff, really; so we had to basically plow tracks by backing up and heaving forward a few times.

View attachment 2874680

Driving around the flat trails in the snow was pretty easy. No issues with KO2s on level ground in the snow. Those Michigan forest branches, though, required some manual maneuvering.

View attachment 2874685

For my next trip to northern country, I'm definitely going to get winter tires on. I had Blizzaks but sold them after getting my lift and larger tires. Thinking about the 33" General Arctics with removable studs.
Merry Christmas! Looks like someone is about to pump out some pull-ups. 😜

View attachment 2874680

View attachment 2874685

Looking good! What's the platform looking think on the back of the rig? I'm always looking for good ideas. Got daylight pics?

Did you try airing down? Though sometimes in deep snow it can be a trade for clearance particularly for the rear axle.

@TeCKis300 Thank you. That's the 1UP cargo carrier mounted to a Thule Access swing arm. Works awesome, because it gives me both swing-away and fold-up ability, and most of my clearance is preserved. Everything is super solid too. Need to give the 1UP a couple allen wrench tightens every thousand miles or so, but the Thule never needs it, despite the manual saying it does. It's all custom painted. Got trailer lights that work decently in both fold-up and fold-down configurations in place, in addition to the 1UP bracket and light. I've had to replace the lights a couple times due to impacts, but it's no big deal, because they're right there.

Nah, trip was too short to bother. But yeah, noted for the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom