"Big Red" an LX 570 Build Thread (10 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For the past 14 years I've driven a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. I drove it from 112,000 miles to 250,000 miles. All I did was oil changes, change front wheel bearings, and take care of any recalls. It was reliable, simple, and took me everywhere I wanted to go without spending much money.

In those 14 years, my family grew from me and a wife to me, a wife, and three kids. Also, I had allowed myself to get stuck a few times where the two wheel drive of the Prerunner couldn't get me out. I wanted to get a four-wheel drive body-on-frame vehicle with more space inside to take my family when my wife didn't want to use her QX56 (which is totally underrated btw) for more rugged trips to the Southern Appalachians.

After such a good experience with the Tacoma, It was hard to leave the reliability of early 2000s Toyota. I test drove a Tundra and hated how it drove. I couldn't bring myself to buy a Sequoia since the QX56 is almost the same thing. The 4Runner and GX 470 seemed to be too small.

And then I saw a burgundy 2008 LX 570 on Carsandbids. I was in love.

The upper end of my budget kept the 200 series outside of reach. I lucked out and found a decent condition 2006 Landcruiser on a business trip to Texas.
1000019601.jpg

The 100 was a great vehicle. Refined, unique, and incredibly cool. But it was slow and the previous owner left a few weird issues that needed to be worked on. I kept thinking about that red LX 570. But I know how expensive it is to get a new to me vehicle, so I resolved myself to make it work.

But it wasn't meant to be. After owning the cruiser for only a few months, I took an ill-fated turn. Insurance claims aren't always good to 20-year-old vehicles when an airbag goes off. I had to say goodbye.

After a close encounter with a life-ending wreck. We decided to up the family budget a little bit and go ahead and get the car I wanted from the get-go. I found someone on a 200 series Facebook group who lived close to me trying to sell a 2008 LX 570 with 151,000 mi on it. As luck would have it, it was burgundy with TRD 18" wheels!

1000021267.jpg
1000021264.jpg

1000021487.jpg

I think that I'm going to go the direction of better interior tech, a new roof rack, and eventually larger tires and a regear. Since I'm an East Coast guy, I don't see me needing too much armor and I really want to lean in to the unique looks of the color and wheel combination. But first I have to deal with some nagging issues.

Last edited:
When we drove up to look at the car, my wife was mad that we weren't buying a new Sequoia for her. By the time we both had a chance to test drive it, she was calling it her car 🙄. He had just gotten it detailed, there was recent radiator, brake, water pump, and AHC work done to it. The only problems were a sticking diff lock actuator, a dislocated ECT power button, a rip in the driver seat, and a wiggling driver's mirror. Obviously a well kept car that had never seen off-roading. The seller was a straight shooter about everything and the price was fair, so I bought it.

After we got it home, I spent about 2 hours engaging and disengaging the center diff lock and 4-low. After pressing the button about 15 times, I got it to work reliably! I also popped open the plastic trim around the shifter and fixed the power button. A $20 kit fixed the wiggling window, but now the power fold is broken. 😡

First Mod
Nice, always glad to see the more unique colour builds
Oh yeah, the color is one of the things that sold me on this truck. I've thought about doing the dechrome thing, but the Chrome wheels and burgundy have a really unique look to them. I really want to lean in to this look.

First mod. Replace the Toyota symbols on the TRD wheels with Lexus emblems. 30 minute half a banana job that cost $20 and a tiny bottle of super glue. Totally worth it.

I can guarantee there's no one within 100 miles that have wheels like mine.
1000021451.jpg
1000021453.jpg
1000021463.jpg

1000021454.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom