Here's a keyless entry write up for your 62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I couldn't find a write up on installing a keyless entry system for my 1988 62 so I made one hoping to help someone else out. It's pretty simple honestly and works great.

This is the keyless entry I used - Amazon product ASIN B07JWF5GCS
You'll need 2 5 pin relays and sockets, Dorman 88069 or get a 2 pack relay and socket combo - Amazon product ASIN B07FBRVMGP
Everything can be installed in the drivers door and all the wiring you need is there. The 62 uses a 4 wire type c polarity reversing system.
At the switch the wires are:
white/blue=12v constant power
White/black=constant ground
Black=switching wire rests at ground
Black/yellow=switching wire rests at ground

These are the diagrams for hooking up the relays and keyless entry.
I used the 12v power wire (white/blue) that runs to the switch to power both the relays and keyless entry.
I used the ground wire (white/black) for grounding the yellow, yellow/black and black wires from the keyless entry.
Cut the switching wires and wire to pins 87a and 30 as shown.
Run the white and white/black wires from the keyless entry to 85 and 86 on the relays. If you hit lock
on the remote and it unlocks just reverse the two wires.
If you want your lights to flash, I did, you need to run a wire from the brown on the keyless entry through the
door into the kick panel. Behind the panel there's a plug hanging down low and the green wire in that
plug is for the running lights. Just use a spade connector and plug into it.

That's it. Now mount the relays and modules down low inside the door, make sure your window won't hit them.

revpol34.jpg

61h3v1Fp4zL._SL1100_.jpg

IMG_20200213_103037.jpg

This is where the brown wire from the module goes to flash the lights.

IMG_20200213_121814.jpg

Last edited:
Cool! I had done the @slcfj62 relay mod for my locks a few years back and since I'll be doing a more in depth relay mod in each door for the windows and locks I was going to undo the @slcfj62 mod (really just replace the switch assembly completely with a NOS one) but now I'll save the two relays and do this at the same time I do the relays in the individual doors. This should be stickied.

Given that my horns are operated by a relay, I'm thinking I'll run a small wire to the horn circuit to so it'll beep when I lock or unlock the doors.

Quick question though; does this retain functionality of the factory door lock switch also?

Edit: Answered my own question. Looked at my SPDT relays and yes it will.

Last edited:
Installed today. Flawless. When mounting I just zip tied to the door (shrug)

One of the best mods- under $50, limited skill need, start to finish in an afternoon.

Agreed this should be stickied

Thanks again for the write up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom